Poly-vi-sol? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-09-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The doctors want Zephan to go home taking poly-vi-sol vitamins. He doesn't like them. Does anyone know of any alternatives?
#2 of 5 Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 PM

I would ask why they feel they are necessary. Is it because of the iron? Then, you could provide some iron supplement in a few ml of EBM. If for Vit D, then they sell little D drops at the Vitamin Shoppe. The Poly ViSol is so nasty, my DD won't take them either. They do make an orange-flavored multivitamin that is sold at the VItamin Shoppe, but it doesn't have iron. My DD wouldn't take those either, though.
#3 of 5 Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Mine didn't like them either and would gag/vomit them up....or flat out refuse if I tried to put it in expressed milk. So I didn't give them....he was rather anemic and we ended up using ICAR iron supplement...don't know much about the different types so that might not be the best type....but it was grape flavored and he tolerated it.
#4 of 5 Old 12-10-2008, 01:24 PM

Poly-Vi-Sol doesn't have iron, does it? It is just a multivitamin. Nathan is on Poly-Vi-Sol and Iron (until one year adjusted). They're still giving Nathan his through his NG tube, though we're working up his breastfeeds, so I'm sure they'll start giving them orally soon.
#5 of 5 Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 PM

You can buy the Poly-vi-Sol with or without iron.

They also sell a Tri-vi-Sol (or also Tri-Vi-Sol w/ Iron) that probably does taste a little bit better. It has Vits A,C, & D. Probably a better match for those first 6 mos breastfeeding.

Consider adding an iron source between 4 and 7mos through toddlerhood. Preemies are notorious for not making enough red-blood cells and are frequently anemic. If the vi-Sols aren't tolerated (the iron variety is usually the one that makes the flavor really awful!) you can use a bit of Floradix. It's a natural source of Iron (I think) that was digested easier and better tolerated flavor-wise by my dd. You can find it at Whole Foods, your local health food store, or as always, online.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page