Perfect toy for NICU siblings! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My parents found our boys the perfect toys for older siblings of a baby in the NICU. Playmobil makes a pretend hospital set that includes a doctor with a baby in an isolette, a baby in a bassinet, and then a baby in a stroller...as well as lots of other hospital things. What a great way to help young siblings understand what happens at the hospital!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 PM

My MIL had a smaller storage container and her and Liz lined it with blankets. That was a bed like Maggie's according to Liz. Liz put her baby in it and put it under the desk lamp.

Great ideas-

the book:
No bigger than my Teddy bear. It rescued us and helped a lot.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 AM

I saw that Playmobile set and it creeped me out. I don't think I'd care to see my kids playing with it.

I d think it's sort of nice that they are trying to "normalize" the NICU a bit but OTOH, I'm not sure I'm actually OK with that "normalization". The NICU should never feel normal.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
I saw that Playmobile set and it creeped me out. I don't think I'd care to see my kids playing with it.

I d think it's sort of nice that they are trying to "normalize" the NICU a bit but OTOH, I'm not sure I'm actually OK with that "normalization". The NICU should never feel normal.
Maybe it's less normalization and more helping smaller children understand the NICU, letting them make sense of it through play?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilonwy View Post
Maybe it's less normalization and more helping smaller children understand the NICU, letting them make sense of it through play?

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

That's what happened for our boys, who are just about 2 and 4. Our older son is in some ways very mature for his age and he had a lot of questions. He wanted to know about everything that was happening. For example, when I was in the hospital before Zephan was born, Asher watched one of the nurses change my IV and literally asked 25 questions as she worked.

So at least for our family, it was very helpful for our boys to play with the playmobil stuff.

User Tag List