Our story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all I'd like to say happy new years to all.

I'm father to a 24 week 5 day baby. She was born 12-27-08, at 13:33 weighing 780 grams.

This is my first baby, and I'm so scared and worried I can't seem to do anything else. It's really hard since I'm normally the strong one in the family, but I've never experienced love like this before.

This seems like a wonderful community, and I'm really grateful I found it.

My baby was on a respirator for the first day, had it removed on the second. She is now on CPAP with oxygen at 23%.

She will be fed for the first time today. I'm so angry I can't be there, but I had to work today.

This is just my little introduction, I don't have any questions right now.

Please pardon if my english is not very good, or if you can't make sense of what I write (I get that sometimes) but English is my 3rd language.
#2 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Welcome and congratulationson the birth of your daughter. Being off the ventilator already is a REALLY good sign. My boys were born at 25w4d and were on the vent for almost 6 weeks. There's a handful of micro preemie parents on here and they were a wonderful help to me.
Your nicu stay will be a rollercoaster and there are a ton of problems that could happen with a micro preemie. Keep us updated when you can.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#3 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM

welcome!! I agree -- being on CPAP already is a very good sign!
#4 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarsmama View Post
Welcome and congratulationson the birth of your daughter. Being off the ventilator already is a REALLY good sign. My boys were born at 25w4d and were on the vent for almost 6 weeks. There's a handful of micro preemie parents on here and they were a wonderful help to me.
Your nicu stay will be a rollercoaster and there are a ton of problems that could happen with a micro preemie. Keep us updated when you can.
Thank you. I've been reading your blog, and your story has been very encouraging. You have beautiful children. Best of luck to you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siera View Post
welcome!! I agree -- being on CPAP already is a very good sign!
Thanks. I'm gad I can talk here with people who have been through similar experiences. Most of my friends don't understand what we are going through.

Small update: They reduced her oxygen to 21%, and they wont be feeding her today. PDA is still an issue. She was also taken off antibiotics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOrPqtX_7A
short video of my baby. Will probably share some more if it's OK.
#5 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Welcome! It sounds like your little girl is doing fabulous right now. I pray that the good days continue. I have two preemies but the youngest was born at 25w0d weighing 658 grams. The NICU is a tough road to travel but we've all been there. Good luck to you guys!
#6 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 PM

She's beautiful! Why is it they never like getting their temperature checked, tho?

Hang in there. The PDA is common with preemies and the docs will monitor it very carefully. They might recommend meds, surgery, or just wait and see. My little girl wasn't that small (31 weeks), but hers eventually closed on its own. Hang in there -- she looks like she's in good hands!
#7 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siera View Post
She's beautiful! Why is it they never like getting their temperature checked, tho?

Hang in there. The PDA is common with preemies and the docs will monitor it very carefully. They might recommend meds, surgery, or just wait and see. My little girl wasn't that small (31 weeks), but hers eventually closed on its own. Hang in there -- she looks like she's in good hands!
Yep, the PDA is very, very common. Addison had a problem with it that cleared up when he was about 1 week. Thankfully we didn't need any medicine for it. They'll probably also do a lot of head ultra sounds to check for brain bleeds, and chest and abdomen x-rays and ultrasounds. There will also probably be blood transfusions and possibly even PICC lines.
The best thing you can do is encourage your wife to pump and store as much breastmilk as she can. Every little drop counts. My boys got 1ml as their first feeding.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#8 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Hello and WElcome!!

Congrats on your beautiful baby girl! She looks wonderful! My daughter MAggie was born at 24 weeks and 5 days as well. She weighed 810 grams so I know EXACTLY what you're going thru. She will be 3 in Feb.

Maggie was on the vent for 11 days so your little girl is doing well. MAggie also had a PDA and I remember the worry. It closed with the meds but the surgery is quick if she needs it. At least that is what they told us! Maggie was scheduled for surgery until it closed and I remember thinking it was a "rountine surgery" on someone else's kid.

But please check in any time and be prepared for an emotional rollar coaster. I hope your partner is doing well and recovering.

Miami has several good nicus as I recall so you're in a good place.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 17 Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyVictoria View Post
Thanks. I'm gad I can talk here with people who have been through similar experiences. Most of my friends don't understand what we are going through. .

Thus the reason this forum was opened a few years ago. Myself and a few other nicu parents really rallied for this forum. Unless you have not been thru this, no one quite understands what you're going thru. Especially all the different things you have to know and then explain to others who have not been thru this.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#10 of 17 Old 01-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Hello,

I'm also new to this board and the NICU. My daughter has been in the NICU since 10/21 and was born at 652 grams (1 lb 7 oz). It has been ROUGH to say the least. If you have questions for the nurses/docs, or even here dont be afraid to ask, you have every right.

Some advice from me that i wish i could have gotten early on. Have your wife pump pump pump for her breastmilk (8x per day), it is really beneficial for the baby and can prevent what is called NEC- if possible DONT let them put the baby on a high calorie formula, or feed the baby too much too fast. I know it helps the baby grow, but i honestly believe that is why my daughter developed NEC. I wasnt able to produce enough milk fast enough, then at all.

Hang in there though, it will be hard and you will be emotional the whole time, but then you will also watch your baby grow and experience the joy when you first hold her, and see her first smile- those are amazing moments, enjoy them.
#11 of 17 Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Welcome! My little girl wasn't a preemie, so I haven't been through all of what you're going through, but we've been in the NICU for 8 weeks now, so I'm sure we share some of the same experiences! I hope your little one does really well and is able to go home without putting you and your wife through too much of a rollercoaster ride!
ETA- My DD was on the vent for one month and a day (and then had a cannula for 13 days after that), so for your LO to be just on CPAP at 21% is awesome! I hope she continues to make such great progress!

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#12 of 17 Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM

Congratulations on your new daughter! It sounds like she's doing really wonderfully for how early she was!

My son had fetal surgery at 22 weeks gestation and was born at 28 weeks. He was in NICU for two months. It was a scary time, but we found ourselves surrounded by loving support (including this board) and he was worth every minute of it!

I found this free ebook really encouraging: http://www.lulu.com/content/357808.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
#13 of 17 Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Welcome baby girl!

My son was born at 28 weeks weighing 890 grams. We were in the NICU for 67 days. He ran the whole gambit of it: lots of head ultrasounds, the CPAP, the vent, a PICC line in his head, blood transfusions...and right now, as I type, he is nursing and chstting up a storm. He weighs 7 pounds, 10 oz, is exclusively breastfed, has perfect hearing and (as far as we know) vision.

If she is down at 21% already, that is wonderful! Know that she'll probably fluctuate, and that is normal...Peter also was off the vent his second day, but had to go back to it a month later for a week.

His PDA closed with the medication they gave him, which I think is true for the majority of babies. If not, I've also heard that the surgery is fast. One of my son's NICU nurses actually was a 28 week preemie, and she actually underwent that surgery to close it! She now is healthy as can be and rocky smart.

Congratulations on your little girl!!! Please keep us updated when you can!
#14 of 17 Old 01-14-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Victoria is doing great. She's been eating for a couple of days (mom is pumping every 3 hours. She's eating 5cc every 2 hours. She came off the CPAP and is on an oxygen hood.

No major issues have happened, except she got some type of bacteria in her throat and got sent with a bunch of kids to isolation. The Dr. says the bacteria is not harmful, they just want to prevent passing it to other babies.

She smiled. I cried like a baby.
#15 of 17 Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Yay, Victoria! :

Thank you so much for taking the time to write an update. You've been in my thoughts, and I am so happy to know that she is doing well!

I remember how excited I was when Peter started eating. Also, yay Momma for pumping so often!! It will be way easier to wake up in the middle of the night and feed the baby than it is to motivate yourself to pump, trust me. I was pumping every 3 hours to get my supply, and then I could skip one at night, which was just a godsend.
#16 of 17 Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Yay!! : Sounds like she's doing well. Thanks for keep us posted!
#17 of 17 Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 PM

It sounds like she's doing great! So happy to hear that!

The nurses at our hospital got a pic of Levi grinning in his sleep. I melted.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your little miracle!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page