Reflux? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have experience with GERD? This is most likely our last hurdle to get out of the NICU and go home! We've been here over 7 weeks, and have yet to successfully feed, even gavage feed, first because of gastroschisis, then she got bilateral chylothorax, then she had issues with bowel adhesions and a kink and had another surgery, and now she's having issues with projectile vomiting and GERD.
She has been on Zantac, and at my insistence (to provide relief for her) she is now on Prevacid as well, and hopefully when they figure out how best to give it to her, she will be on Erythromycin too. She had been on Reglan, and it seemed like it was working, but I REALLY don't like the idea of Reglan's side effects.
They are feeding her through an NG tube, but instead of into her stomach, they are feeding her transpylorically, so past her stomach and into her intestine. The main reason for this is that she needs to gain weight (she's only about 7 lbs, she was born at 6 lb 4 oz). Once she gains some weight, we will start feeding her normally, either with a bottle or at the breast (probably a combo of the two).
Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone can offer me advice from their own experiences, on how to deal with the GERD and get her eating well so we can go home!

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 AM

Would you and her doctors be comfortable sending her home with a feeding tube? Does she aspirate while vomiting? or is it just an issue of not gaining weight? Can they try VERY small, but VERY frequent meals? I'd really recommend joing www.infantrefluxdisease.com NOW to start gaining a support group for when she does get home. with her g.i. issues and the fact that she's already on j-feed (bypassing the stomach), it seems this is a more severe case of gerd. My daughter inevitably had a g-tube placed surgically, and it was the BEST choice we could have made for her. It helped her reflux (by being on continuous feeds until she was older and able to handle more), and it helped her gain weight. It's definitely something I'd speak to her docs about.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Our oldest son, who was full-term, had reflux with projectile vomiting. We had him on medication and sleeping on an incline for a while and then did some research into alternative ways of treating reflux. We ended up taking him to a chiropractor who specialized in babies and kids. The reflux got better after his first treatment and was gone after less than a month of follow up.

I've also read that craniosacral therapy (a type of massage) can treat reflux.

Doctors probably know nothing about this, but pm me if you are curious and maybe I can help you find some resources.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, since I posted, they did another upper GI/small bowel follow through and found that she still has some kind of partial obstruction in her small intestine. The barium stopped at one place and only small bits made it through after that. So, that probably is the reason for the projectile vomiting. They are doing 2x daily enemas now to try and flush out whatever it is that's stopping her up, since they were just in there 2 1/2 weeks ago and they know there's no physical obstruction. So she's been NPO since last Sunday. Also, not sure if it's the NPO or the new med working, but she has been throwing up a lot less. So maybe her reflux isn't as bad as we thought, and it was just from the blockage...
She has also gained significant weight over the last 3 days (13 oz!), so hopefully when they do start feeds again in the next couple of days, I will be able to talk them into feeding her directly into her stomach. The food refluxes back up into her stomach from her intestine anyway, so I can't see a reason why they shouldn't just put it in the stomach and let her feel a little less hungry. They have to start with super small amounts again, but once she's up to an amount she can take at the breast or from a bottle, I'll be pushing for that, too. I want to avoid tube feeding for any longer than is absolutely necessary, because at this point she's almost 2 months old and has never been given the chance to try and eat normally. I almost have to wonder if they would just treat her like a normal healthy baby, maybe she would start acting like one... she does in all other ways...
I have thought about chiropractic care for her when we finally get out of here; I know a lady at home who is a prenatal/baby chiro. I'd totally appreciate any info you can give me along those lines.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org

User Tag List