Our Micro Preemie has arrived - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-09-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our baby girl arrived on January 1 at 10:33 in the morning. She was 27 weeks 3 days, weighed 640 grams (1lb 6 oz) and was 12 inches long.

For the first three or four days she was stable - not getting better but not getting worse. As of today, however, she is finally starting to get a little better. They have decreased her ventilator to 35 breaths a minute from 55. They have decreased her oxygen to 21%. She was under the bilirubin lights over the weekend due to an increasing bilirubin level (jaundice) but that has decreased drastically and she is no longer underneath them. She is out of the dangerous 72 hour zone where she was at an increased risk for brain bleed so she is able to be on her tummy and other positions now which she seems to be liking. Her acidosis levels are getting better every day. They think they have finally turned a corner in treating it, though, after two transfusions over the weekend.

She was scheduled for a head ultrasound Monday to check for brain bleeds and luckily she had NONE. This is the one thing that we were nervous about and feel very fortunate that she came through that just fine.

As of last night she weighs 632 grams, so she's almost back to birth weight. She is being fed breastmilk through her GI tube and finally got her PICC line yesterday and had the line through her umbilical cord removed. So my fingers are crossed that I'll be able to hold my sweet baby for the first time today!

Maggie is VERY feisty and gives the nurses a run for their money when they try to snuggle her into her cozy. She likes to fling her tiny little legs out over the sides of the cozy and lay spread eagle. haha

I was finally released yesterday after a 10 day hospital stay that started out with the sudden onset of HELLP syndrome. That was the cause of her early arrival.

I look forward to meeting other parents of preemies on this board and learning/sharing every thing I can to help myself and others through this experience.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information anyone may have about an extended NICU stay for a micro-preemie.

OH! One other question. Has anyone on here used Reglan to help stimulate their breast milk production? If so, what was your experience with it? Thanks!

Just a squeaky girl in a squeaky world.

#2 of 17 Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Congratulations!! That's awesome that she's already getting breastmilk via her NG tube!! Way to go. Sorry, no advice on the Reglan, but I just wanted to congratulate you! Keep us posted!
#3 of 17 Old 01-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Congrats on your sweet baby girl! I only had a preemie, not a micro-one, it sounds like she is doing great! I had pre-e/HELLP too, scary stuff.

First off, get to know the nurses, they'll be your lifeline to your babe when you're not around. Also I always liked to call early each morning, about 45 minutes before the night shift ended, to talk to my baby's night nurse to see how the night went, otherwise you have to rely on the notes they make on the chart.

I hope you are able to get that cuddle today! As you probably know, kangaroo care is one of the best things you can do for a preemie.
#4 of 17 Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Congrats on the birth of your daughter!! My boys were born at 25w and were 1lb. 5.2oz. and 1lb. 3oz. They were in the nicu for 81 and 87 days but have been home for about 4 months and doing wonderfully.
Be prepared for a long roller coaster of medical and emotional issues. Not havin a brain bleed is fantastic! Our nicu doctors told us that 75% of brain bleeds happen in the first 3 days.
I have to go but there's a whole lot I could say. If you click the link in my sig, it's the blog I started when my boys were born.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#5 of 17 Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Congrats new mama!

I also have a micro preemie still in the NICU, and am new to this board. My daughter Amelia was born 1 lb 7 oz, 12 inches long at 24 wk 3 days. She is doing pretty well, she had 2 surgeries this week, for ROP & NEC (eyes & bowels). I dont want to scare you, but I wish I would have known about NEC sooner- its a horrible infection of the bowels, my little one got so sick, scariest thing of my and hubbys lives. My advice would be to monitor her feeds, breastmilk is always better, because it is said that babies develop NEC more often when formula fed. In my case, they kept upping Amelia's feeds like crazy and I wasnt able to produce enough (i'm talking 1/2 an ounce at best one session) then it kept dwindling so they gave her formula cuz i wasnt comfy with donor milk.

When she got really sick and had to be transferred I was a mess with worry and stopped pumping alltogether. After she was in the clear (3 weeks later) I tried to re-start pumping but it was dismal. After a week of pumping 8x per day, taking fenugreek i was getting a drop here and there. I had my doc prescribe reglan for 10 days. The only thing that did for me was increase the drops, after 3 & 1/2 weeks of trying i finally gave up. It was taking a toll on my stress levels.

If you need anything or have any questions please feel free to pm me, i'm on this site at least once a day because i like reading about other parents that are going through the same stuff- i wish i would have found it sooner.
#6 of 17 Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 AM

Congratulations! My little girl was 658grams and 12in so very close. I took Reglan and the major issue I had with it was DEPRESSION! I cannot emphasize that enough. Oh and it made me tired. I switched to Domperidone. The Reglan did help a bit with my production which was positive.
#7 of 17 Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 AM

congratulations mama.

in the uk the drug of first choice is domperidone. i've not heard any side effects of the drug from people i know who have taken it, but haven't taken it myself.

the best thing for expressing is to pump regularly, ( every 2-3 hours ), and to find ways of coping with the stress so that it doesn't inhibit your production. obviously eat, drink and snack well, and remember that some sleep from you will be beneficial for your baby.

ogirliemama should have some better tips for longterm expressing, so hopefully she will chip in when she sees the post.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#8 of 17 Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your stubborn girlie - yay for that. The ones who have a mind of their own seem to thrive
My baby was born two days before Christmas due to pre-e that sneaked up on us like wildfire. I was in a due date club on these boards and all of a sudden found myself in NICU and preemie parenting . . . It's hard to keep my chin up sometimes, although i am grateful for our good outcome. I just want my baby home and miss her so much. I have two other children, so i'm trying to balance my "mommying" and every once in a while get some sleep.
My problem with supply is that i am WAY overproducing. I'm getting three ounces from each breast with every time I pump. I've tried spacing out the pumps and not emptying my breasts all of the way, but in the week since i've been doing that, i see no decrease in supply. I'm freezing bag upon bag of milk, but running out of room. Any NE Ohio mammas who would want any breastmilk (I am a healthy eater with no bad habits - no smoking, drinking, drugs, over the counter meds) would be welcome to mine!
#9 of 17 Old 01-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Congratulations! It sounds like your little one is quite a fighter and is doigng well for how little she is. Every day brings her into a much safer zone.

I hope you'll find all the ladies here as helpful and supportive as I have!

Quote:
OH! One other question. Has anyone on here used Reglan to help stimulate their breast milk production? If so, what was your experience with it? Thanks!
I don't personally have experience with reglan, but a girlfriend of mine with a preemie took it and she didn't have any problem with it. It did help her supply. Also try oatmeal and brewer's yeast if you still need a boost.
#10 of 17 Old 01-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Welcome to the world, baby girl!!

It is reassuring to me to see other amazing mommas who were doing everything right who got pre-e/HELLP. I only had preeclampsia, but ended up staying for two weeks in the hospital when my pressures just refused to drop. It really is terrifying.

Peter Gwydion was born at 28 weeks, and weighed 2 pounds even. Some people called him a micropreemie, some people didn't. We were in the NICU for 67 days. He now weighs almost 8 pounds, is exclusively breastfed, and growing like a weed.

Wonderful news about the clear head ultrasounds!! I remember how relieving it was for me after the 72 hour one, too. CP was the only thing that I felt really, really concerned about...the rest I figured we could deal with.

It is so nice once they start getting better. Peter also plateaued for a little while in the beginning of our stay. It sounds like she is doing really well!

I didn't ever have experience with Reglan, but I know that when I feel like my supply seems like it is getting low I fix it by drinking a lot of water. Like, a LOT of water. I should probably alternate with juice so that I don't flush all of my electrolytes out. I wouldn't stress too much about your supply, right now - I'm not an LC, but as long as you keep pumping, in my experience, your breasts will learn what the deal is. It took me about a month or so to get my supply established, and now I've actually got way too much milk and so I'm always hosing everyone in my house down.

If you ever have questions, I've found that this is an amazing place to be - I only wish that I'd known about it when I was actually in the NICU! If there is anything that you would like to ask me personally, please don't hesitate to PM me, but I love getting the input from all the amazing Mommas here.

Please keep us updated when you can!
#11 of 17 Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 PM

Peter also loved to lay spread-eagle in the cozy! The nurses always told me how they were so glad he got so upset about things, not because he was upset, but because he was letting them know it.
#12 of 17 Old 01-10-2009, 10:44 PM

Reglan was bad for me- I had horrible side effects- slept for almost 24 hours when I took it
I had MUCH better luck- no side effects- with domperidone.

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
#13 of 17 Old 01-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Congrats and Welcome to the club none of us wanted to be in.

My DD2 Maggie was a micropreemie almost 3 years ago. She was 1lb 12, 12 inches long and 24 weeks, 5 days. But they refer to her as a 24 weeker.

My Maggie was also a fiesty baby and still is now! Reading your OP, it was if you described almost our first week experience. I pumped exclusevely for 8 weeks. I started 1 hour after she was born after insisting to the nurses. Maggie had a PDA which I think saved her from a brain bleed or IVH as the nicu refers to it. The blood thinner they gave her 3 times to close the PDA I feel saved her from a IVH. Other than a few staph infections that put her back on the vent once, we had an uneventful stay(compared to others IRL and here) for 3 mos and 3 days. Even still it was an emotional rollar coaster. By the time Maggie left, she had 8 transfusions. The first few are tough. Esp since it takes hours to get it into her for them to take a blood gas- I was like HUH??!!???

Please pm me for ANYTHING I know exactly what you're going thru.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#14 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Congrats on your baby! Fiesty is good in the NICU!

My Molly is a 27 weeker. She was in the NICU for 2 1/2 months. It was a rollercoaster.
#15 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 PM

I had two micros also, 29 weekers. Everyone told me it was going to be a rollercoaster, and it really was....things were excellent for days, then I'd get a phone call and we were set way back. My advice is to just enjoy each moment you have right now. Also, if I ever had another nicu baby, I would not let them fortify my milk with formula... that 'human milk fortifier' was all right... but fortifying with formula distended their bellies and it was just not happy. Also, bring in your own more breastfeeding friendly bottles or nipples - the ones they had in my nicu were x-cut fast flow and the milk just poured out so it took many many months of pain before I could ever get my babies to latch on. Congrats on your new LO!
#16 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Congrats! My youngest was born at 27 weeks and she was 1 lb 15 Oz and 13 inches long. She stayed in the NICU for about 14 weeks. There were a lot of ups and downs so I totally understand how you might be feeling.

BTW congrats on your little one!!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#17 of 17 Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM

BTW I did use Reglan and it did help my production some. It def. was a fight to get a good supply since it was so long before I could start bfing and had to pump for so long. I never did get a really great supply but I was able to exclusively bf my LO for a year (wanted to go longer but just couldn't keep my supply up.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page