Support for Bedrest, possible Micro-Preemie Mom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-11-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cousin in law is 24 weeks pregnant and her water broke. She is currently on bedrest in the hospital and the doctors are trying everything to keep her pregnant as long as they can. I was just wondering from some other moms that have been through the same thing, what the best thing I can do and send to cheer her up and support her through this rough time. Thanks
#2 of 6 Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM

I hope she gets to spend several more weeks cooking. Some things to help her pass the time and feel more comfortable would be some good books or magazines or perhaps crosswords if she enjoys those. Something that would have been really useful to me would have been an old laptop if a family member had one that I could have borrowed while I was on hospital bedrest

A small thing that I could not have lived without is a good tube of chap stick. I used up a whole tube of Burt's Bees during my stay. Maybe some nice pajamas or a robe so she is not stuck wearing the hosptial gowns all the time.
#3 of 6 Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 PM

My water broke at 27wks with my first preemie and I stayed pregnant an additional 2wks. With my second preemie my water broke at 24wks and she was born 4 days later. If you make it through the first 24hrs without going into labor that's a great sign that maybe you can keep that baby in longer!
#4 of 6 Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM

My water broke at 29 weeks and I was able to stay pregnant for 11 more days. I was on hospital bedrest for a total of 3 weeks. I was also on home bedrest for 4 months before I went into the hospital.

Sometimes women are able to stay pregnant for a fairly long time after their water breaks. It depends on several things, but at 24 weeks, every day counts! My ob often told me the story of one of her patients whose water broke at 24 weeks who made it to 34 and then had to be induced.

I found that it was hard to focus well enough to read books or watch long movies. I did enjoy tv and reading magazines. I slowly read through several books about preemies. Friends brought in favorite treats from the outside world. The hospital air is really dry, so I would second the advice to send things like chapstick or lotion. I found that getting ready a little every day made me feel much better.

The computer was a huge help...our hospital had wireless internet and I brought my laptop.

Hospital food can get boring, and usually hospitals don't feed spouses. So gift cards for her husband to get food near the hospital or to bring take out in.

We had 2 young children and it was fun to bring our kids into the hospital. I missed them terribly and we tried to make their visits as special as possible. The hospital put a child size table in my room and stocked it with coloring books and crayons. They let the kids pick special snacks every time they came to visit and encouraged us to give the kids baths in my jetted tub (I couldn't use it, but they had a blast!). The night before I ended up going into labor, we had a little pizza party in my room.

The week or so of waiting was also a good time to prepare for the NICU. We took a tour, saw a dvd about a family's experience, learned about the equipment, procedures, and what to expect.
#5 of 6 Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 AM

I ruptured at 16 weeks and went on bedrest from that time til my dd was delivered at 26 weeks. The Drs told me I would suffer a miscarriage. The nurses said bedrest! I listened to the nurses!!! The hospital didn't admit me until I reached 23 weeks...I suffered a placental abruption and the rest is history.

I needed routine for the 3 weeks I was in the hospital. I had 2 kids that were 4 and under and they came to visit a couple of times a week. I crocheted my hands off and sudoku'd continuously. So if your CIL does any kind of handicraft you could bring her some supplies, visit her frequently....something nice to look forward to Toiletries...esp. moisturizers and soaps...aroma therapy type stuff.

I hope your CIL can make it to 30+ weeks!! Sending baby-staying-put-thoughts !

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#6 of 6 Old 01-13-2009, 03:37 PM

We underwent fetal surgery at 21 weeks gestation and I was on bedrest at home until my water broke at 28 weeks. I was in the hospital for 3 days before he was born. I knit and crocheted like a maniac. I read a TON, both books and magazines. I did logic puzzles. I also burned through my netflix queue like mad. Movies, tv series on dvd, books, magazines, puzzles, etc. I second the "pampering" type stuff and craft supplies if she's crafty at all. I also appreciated people bringing me food from the outside. The food at the hospital was palatable, but it wasn't exactly five star dining.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page