"Only" 8 days in NICU - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our son simon was born on 12/29 via emergancy c-section. He had a prolapsed cord and it was also wrapped around his neck twice. My ob said it was the longest cord he had ever seen.

Simon was rushed to the NICU 3hrs away that mournng. At first they diagnosed him with RDS then changed that diagnosis to clinical pneumonia. I asked the neonatologist how they get that, he had no answers.

I must have cried a bucket of tears those 8 horrible days. My baby was being terrorized by needles, tubes, wires, tape and voices coming from strangers.

The hardest part was not being able to satisfy that instinct that drives every female mammal after giving birth, a needed to nurture, feed, and most of all hold my baby. I felt like I was going to lose my mind, like I would go mad.

I swear the treatment was much worse than the condition. No one can tell me that having a tube shoved down your trachea is healthy. Simon fought that tube so badly I couldnt stand it he was so miserable. Finally on day 5 it was removed by another neonatologist who simply said, " why is this little boy intibated" I wanted to scream.

They wanted to put in a PIC line I asked a million questions and decided , based on the information they provided me with that I would not sign the consent form and refused that treatment I felt it wasnt necisary. Right then I learned that I was in charge for the most part. After that I started being a bit more assertive, and involved.

On the 9th day we where shipped back to our local hospitol, which is where we are now. Going on day 9 here. I WANT TO GO HOME
I have an almost 2 yr old at home and I dont think I can take much more of this being away from home bussiness. I need to stay though to bf Simon, I refuse to let them bottle feed him. I keep wondering if I am keeping the right balance in my decision, I do have two sons now but I cant throw this bfing away because I am being to impatient and want to go home.

Simon is doing great he is gaining weight fast and he is a bfing geneous, we are just waiting for him to get weened off the oxygen. Which is taking forever he has been on 1/10 of a liter for over a week and I keep wondering when he will turn that corner. Are we going to be here untill he's 10.

I want our lives to begin together normally peacefully at home.

Please I dont mean to offend for those parents who read this and think I am being a winer and that some of you are going through a much tougher experience I feel your pain and I am sorry.

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 AM

Don't worry, you'll go home soon! We've been in the NICU for 9 weeks today... but DD is finally allowed to eat and is doing great, we are halfway to full feeds, so hopefully sometime in the next week to 2 weeks we should be out of here! She was intubated for a month, and then on an oxygen cannula for 2 weeks after that, and has started and stopped feeds at least 7 times (she was finally able to start breastfeeding at 2 months and 1 day old!), so I can definitely understand the feeling that you'll never go home!
My nephew had pneumonia when he was born and was transferred about 8 hours after birth to another hospital... he was able to go home while still on the oxygen cannula though- is that not an option for your LO?

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Old 01-17-2009, 03:35 PM

Even one night in the NICU is hard on moms. Hope you get your little man home soon ((hugs))
Old 01-18-2009, 11:18 PM

I know it is hard to leave older siblings at home while you are with your baby in the hospital. We had to do this for most of the time Zephan was in the NICU (4 weeks).

Although I was completely determined to breastfeed - and generally terrified of bottles and formula - we consented to have Zephan bottle fed pumped breastmilk 2 times a day. This allowed me a 5 hour stretch between breastfeedings to be with my family or to sleep a longer stretch at night. I really enjoyed these times with my older boys and my husband. This was in December, so we finished our Christmas shopping. We went out for special dinners. I would go home to help with bath and bedtime. My husband and I even went on a few dates.

Deciding to use a few bottles may or may not work for you, but at least for our family, this proved to be a good balance. Had I been at the hospital 24 hours a day for a month, I would have literally gone crazy. I can also understand the feeling of never going home...I think many of us who have been through the whole NICU thing have faced that uncertainty!

We've been home from the hospital for 1 month now, and in that month Zephan's had maybe 4 bottles. We're exclusively breastfeeding and he's doing great. You will get there mama, hang in there!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrinton View Post
I know it is hard to leave older siblings at home while you are with your baby in the hospital. We had to do this for most of the time Zephan was in the NICU (4 weeks).

Although I was completely determined to breastfeed - and generally terrified of bottles and formula - we consented to have Zephan bottle fed pumped breastmilk 2 times a day. This allowed me a 5 hour stretch between breastfeedings to be with my family or to sleep a longer stretch at night. I really enjoyed these times with my older boys and my husband. This was in December, so we finished our Christmas shopping. We went out for special dinners. I would go home to help with bath and bedtime. My husband and I even went on a few dates.

Deciding to use a few bottles may or may not work for you, but at least for our family, this proved to be a good balance. Had I been at the hospital 24 hours a day for a month, I would have literally gone crazy. I can also understand the feeling of never going home...I think many of us who have been through the whole NICU thing have faced that uncertainty!

We've been home from the hospital for 1 month now, and in that month Zephan's had maybe 4 bottles. We're exclusively breastfeeding and he's doing great. You will get there mama, hang in there!

I did go home for one night, it was lovely. Simons bfing is already well established, and to prove it the second I returned this afternoon he latched on and fed like he forgot all about that nasty bottle.

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06
Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 PM

We spent "only" 9 days in the NICU with my 35 week old. I never gave bottles to my other kids and was terrified that we'd have major oral issues due to the vent, tubes, etc. However, like you, I had other children at home who needed me.

My husband always pestered me to give the others bottles so I told him he would have to do bottle feedings in the NICU. I am thankful I pumped gallons of milk (when we left the hospital, he was taking about 2-3 ounces and I was pumping 3 ozs per breast per session and STILL engorged!) so we never did formula. I did get in a tussle with a nurse on day 3. She thought he was going to go to full feedings that day and I was just beginning to see transitional milk. He didn't and I made it clear that he was to get ONLY BM until my milk ran out. Lol- it never did.

I finally made the choice that the number 1 priority was to get the baby OUT of the hospital and deal with any nursing issues later. I know LLL leaders, LC and had loads of support from my mother. As it is, the kid does not care what nipple is what as long as there is food at the other end!

I would go up in the mornings and evenings (I liked the night nurse best!) and spend the afternoons with my other children. I also found that I had to help them mourn. My oldest is 4.5 and did not understand why the baby was sick. doing dinner, baths and bed as a family helped kepp things somewhat normal.

will the nurses or your dh finger feeding? use a syringe? my best guess is that if he is nursing well now, he should switch between both easily.

good luck!

nak

User Tag List