Preemie moms & Postpartum Depression - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son was 5 months old yesterday. Sometimes I think that I am starting to suffer from Postpartum Depression and sometimes I think it is the lack of sleep and support that is driving me crazy.

I have a history of Clinical Depression but I was hoping to avoid it this time. Having a preemie at 29w 6d has its own problems and fears that many will never visit. Somehow I got through the preterm labour and 58 day NICU stay at three different hospitals. The professionals watched me carefully.

Now we been at home for the last three months. I have not slept even one. My son has not mastered breastfeeding so I pump, and pump, and pump, and sometimes we breasfeed. I want to give him something from myself. Maybe I am putting too much pressure on my self. He is starting to out eat my production so I pump even when he sleeps, sometimes every 2 hours. I was hoping to last until he is 6 months, at least.

I have always wanted a family and had high expectations. I assumed that the home would be clean and dinner would be on the table each night. Sometimes I cannot manage to wash the dishes. So my husband does it after a hard day at work. Then I begin to think that he does not love me since I cannot do it all.

I wanted to take my son to play groups and mom and baby boot camp to loose the weight. He did not get the RSV shot so we are to stay away from others. We would also have to take the bus there. I have not driven the car in a while so that makes me anxious even when I have access to it. But I am trying to get over the fear.

It was snowing here for 3 weeks straight. Our city was not prepared for it so the sidewalks were not cleared. We stayed inside for almost one month since he cannot walk on the roads.

I am fighting with my mom. She always has unrealistic expectations of me. She expects us at dinner even if I am exhausted or do not feel well. She cannot believe that my family does not cheer me up. But I do not want to talk about my problems to them so I prefer to be by myself. She then compares her life at my age to mine. Who said I am comparing? I know that some others have it better and others have it worse. She cannot believe that I accept advice from others on the internet. Should I ask my husband, who has never knitted a sweater, how to knit? NO!

The other close person to me, my aunt, said some very hurtful things and feels like she needs to give me advice. This advice comes from the way that her daughter in law manages her newborn. Her son was a term baby and drinks formula! I feel like I have nothing to talk to her about anymore since I feel criticised and hurt. I know that these people mean well and maybe I am sensitive because I am sleep derpived.

Do any of you have any experiences that you wish to share? I feel very alone and even my husband cannot seem to understand although he is very supportive. Thank you in advance.
#2 of 31 Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add that my son has feeding and digestion issues. Sometimes it takes 1 to 2 hours to feed him. He falls asleep when he eats. He poops and screams in pain. He throws up. He cannot burp. And sometimes I put him down and he wants more. This is probably all normal except at 4 am it does not seem like it.
#3 of 31 Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 PM

I wanted to reply tonight to let you know that I totally know where you are coming from and am sending good thoughts your way. I'm nursing at the keyboard right now trying to get my daughter to sleep; I'll try to post something a bit more thorough tomorrow. Hang in there!!
#4 of 31 Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#5 of 31 Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 PM

well, i know we are supposed to be more at risk of pnd after preemie experience. i can identify with some of your points. i think spring will bring some fresh perspective too. some of what you describe also seems like the normal shock of becoming a mother. can you hook up with other preemie mums face to face?

sorry this is rushed reply

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#6 of 31 Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My oldest (now 8) was 29 weeks, 3 days preemie.

I know how you feel, I've been there, done it without support. My youngest (almost 2 now) was a 33 week preemie. Both stayed in the NICU 6 weeks and 5 weeks.

Where abouts are you, if you are close enough did you want to hook up and do some mommy things together if we live close enough? Maybe do a weekly mommies only outing? Bring our two youngest and get out for mall crawling or did you need help with breastfeeding issues? I breastfed until 14\15 months with my youngest. He has GERD and had to go home on an apnea monitor for the first 1.5 months.

Are you in the Princess Margie Home Nursing program? Nurse comes to you to help once a day with questions, vitals and resources (if you are in T.O. and GTA).

My oldest stayed at Women's for 2 weeks then went to William Osler (now Brampton Civic). My other preemie stayed at William Osler's before they made the big move to Brampton Civic.

If you just want to talk, pm me and I can give you my MSN user name and email. I'll be here even if it's the weather you want to talk about!
#7 of 31 Old 01-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriksmom View Post

Now we been at home for the last three months. I have not slept even one. My son has not mastered breastfeeding so I pump, and pump, and pump, and sometimes we breasfeed. I want to give him something from myself. Maybe I am putting too much pressure on my self. He is starting to out eat my production so I pump even when he sleeps, sometimes every 2 hours. I was hoping to last until he is 6 months, at least.

Pumping is so hard. It seems like all you ever do is pump!! It is such a huge sacrifice that you are making for your baby. You have to decide if that is something that is important for you to continue. For me it was, so I pumped until my DD (born at 31 weeks) was able to breastfeed. Have you checked into getting a lactation consultant to come to your home and assess your son's latch, etc? That might be worth it. Pumping can seem like such a drag and you really have to decide if you want to continue or not. I decided early on that I wanted to continue it as long as possible. However, that did not mean that I never had days when I wanted to quit!!

I have always wanted a family and had high expectations. I assumed that the home would be clean and dinner would be on the table each night. Sometimes I cannot manage to wash the dishes. So my husband does it after a hard day at work. Then I begin to think that he does not love me since I cannot do it all.

Don't worry about the table and the house!! You have more important priorities at this time!! The house can always get cleaned, but your baby is only a baby once!! Make your husband pick up dinner on the way home. You deserve a break! You are in charge of baby care and producing food!!

I wanted to take my son to play groups and mom and baby boot camp to loose the weight. He did not get the RSV shot so we are to stay away from others. We would also have to take the bus there. I have not driven the car in a while so that makes me anxious even when I have access to it. But I am trying to get over the fear.

Can you perhaps just go for a drive or maybe go to the park or some place that isn't crowded? Just to get out? Even a walk around the neighborhood does me wonders.

It was snowing here for 3 weeks straight. Our city was not prepared for it so the sidewalks were not cleared. We stayed inside for almost one month since he cannot walk on the roads.

I am fighting with my mom. She always has unrealistic expectations of me. She expects us at dinner even if I am exhausted or do not feel well. She cannot believe that my family does not cheer me up. But I do not want to talk about my problems to them so I prefer to be by myself. She then compares her life at my age to mine. Who said I am comparing? I know that some others have it better and others have it worse. She cannot believe that I accept advice from others on the internet. Should I ask my husband, who has never knitted a sweater, how to knit? NO!

It seems that everyone always has an opinion about something. I'm sorry your mom isn't more supportive. But, at this time in your life, you need support!! What kind of a relationship do you have with your mom? Did she spend time with you while your son was in the NICU? Did she see what you went through? If so, and she still expects you to come to dinner or whatever, then that is very inconsiderate. She needs to be helping you. I'd stay away from all negativity! You need help and supportive people around you!

The other close person to me, my aunt, said some very hurtful things and feels like she needs to give me advice. This advice comes from the way that her daughter in law manages her newborn. Her son was a term baby and drinks formula! I feel like I have nothing to talk to her about anymore since I feel criticised and hurt. I know that these people mean well and maybe I am sensitive because I am sleep derpived.

My "friends" are the same way. I stay away from them now. I know what I am doing is best for me and my daughter in our current situation!

Do any of you have any experiences that you wish to share? I feel very alone and even my husband cannot seem to understand although he is very supportive. Thank you in advance.
It gets easier. It sounds like you needs lots of support. In my situation, I found support mostly from my mom. My husband wasn't all that supportive. Also, I know of no one who has a preemie. A preemie is a totally different ball game. People think "Oh, you had your baby early" and that's it. No, that couldn't be further from the truth. But, no one really understands unless they've been there; done that. Stay strong. Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job. Know that there are others out here just like you!!
#8 of 31 Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siera View Post
People think "Oh, you had your baby early" and that's it. No, that couldn't be further from the truth. But, no one really understands unless they've been there; done that.
yes, i love to come here to 'meet' mamas who've been in the same boat.
even though for the most part we prob. wish we'd not

#9 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the support!

Sheal, I am in BC.

Siera, I started trying to breastfeed when he was 32 weeks gestation. I have had four trips to the lactation consultant. It was helping and working but he never got more than one or two feeds a day. Then Christmas came and I got sick. I could not keep up with the bf and pumpimg while going to family dinners. If he does not eat lots then my body supplies less so in the end I end up pumping more often. So I end up getting even less sleep.

I used to go for walks until it snowed for three weeks (one meter). The sidewalks were not cleared and I did not want to walk on the road.

I was a preemie so my mom knows something about hospitals except that she was never allowed to visit me. We have never had a good relationship and I thought that it was getting better. My mom went to help my sister in law, who went into preterm labour, before my membranes ruptured. My SIL ended up having a term baby. My mom came back the day my son was born. But one week later she went to Europe to help her elderly father. She came back a month later. She wants to babysit and I appreciate it. But I cannot go away, far and for long, since I am pumping. So she says that I am lucky to have it.

I made an appointment with the Reproductive Mental Health program at the Hospital. But even thought the professional is intelligent she may not truly understand how I feel about being a preemie mom.

I do not want to have a pity party because I am very happy with all that I have. I look at my son and am so proud of him. I could not love anyone more. But having lost so much control (hospitalization for pPROM, a premature birth, and a NICU hospital stay) I am hoping that I will be able to regain some power soon. I had so many expectations of this year and sometimes blame myself for them not becoming a reality.

It is so nice to have support from those who understand and have been there. Thank you!
#10 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

One more thing I have mommy brain. I have a difficult time asking others for help. I always want to do it all by myself.
#11 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 04:40 AM

I relate so much to your post! I too felt depleted by pumping, my inability to get anything done and the weather. In my case my baby came home from the hospital August 1st after 4.5 months in the NICU. It was 115 and above in Phoenix. I love the peace from walking outside and gardening. Not having that outlet was really hard. I really wanted to stop pumping...I had severe PPD, I realize now. I wish I had gotten help earlier. Right before baby came home I went on Zoloft and started seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist. I feel a million times better. You may not need to go that route, but I want to throw it out there. I have now been pumping for 10 months (babe can't nurse, he needs thickened milk etc.) And I feel pretty good. The book "This isn't what I expected" is great. Just reading it made me feel better. Good luck! Having a preemie really is stressful.
#12 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 AM

I don't really know what to say that can help you, but I did want to say that my PPD didn't start until DD was home--okay so that's not entirely true. I was *really* bad in the first two weeks. You couldn't drag me in to the NICU to see her with a pack (??) of wild horses, but then it got better and I found support within the NICU from the nurses and the other mums.

When we got home I was all alone. DH had gone back to work, mum had just been hit by a car and was in a bad way physically and emotionally. I couldn't get out of the house because it was winter and I didn't want to expose Erin to all the bugs that were going around (there was a particularly bad bout of gastro that year). I went up and down with it for months. It wasn't until Erin was 15 months old that I finally sort help. By then things were really bad--I'd even seriously concidered giving her up for adoption, I didn't know how it was going to work seeing as I was married and I didn't think DH would want to, but I knew I wasn't the right mother for her. I knew I wasn't cut out to be a mum at all and someone else, who had more patience and could deal with Erin's eating problems should be raising her, not me.

I felt like I was failing her because I couldn't keep up the pumping or get her to latch so breastfeeding was out. I failed because I didn't know to ween her on to formula so her reflux got really bad and I was so certain that my mistakes and impatience were what was causing Erin to fight feeding as badly and made her need an NGT. I was failing because I couldn't cope and didn't I know she was a miracle and why wasn't I more grateful?

I guess my point is, don't let it get bad before you see someone. Even if you go to your doctor and say "this is how I feel but I don't think I need meds yet" so s/he knows to keep an eye out and so you've got someone in person to talk to.
#13 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 AM

having a preemie must have really brought out some strong stuff between you and your mum too - hard enough on one dimension; let alone having more strands to reconcile iykwim.

with the b'feeding have you tried nipple shields at all? they can be the really wrong thing to do sometimes, but i've also seen some mamas go from expressing to fully b'fed with a nipple shield, so imo it can be worth trying out.

#14 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM

I don't have much advice. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone although it can feel that way. I also have a 29 week 6 day preemie who is now almost 4 months old. It's very stressful.
#15 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Once again, thanks for the support. I know that I am not alone but sometimes feel like it. Only one very close friend has a baby and one on the way. But she is far and did not have a preemie.

Shukr, my son learned to breasfeed with the nipple shield. But only once took a whole feed at the hospital. Around six weeks adjusted he got better. We were seeing a lc for help. He had no problems latching anymore. He was taking one or two feeds a day. Then I got sick and decided to make pumping a priority so I would not loose my production. We still cuddle but bf was not the most important. Now he latches and either bites me or wiggles around with my nipple in his mouth. Ouch! He will not do it for long anymore, maybe 5 to 10 minutes. This stresses me out and reduces my production so I have to pump more often.

Le Bec, your story almost made me cry. I wanted to give up my son when he was born since I did not think that I would be able to handle the responsibility. But I have not told anyone that before, not even my husband. So I asked the neonatologist to take me to the NICU to see what I would experience. But now I could not love anyone more. But the birth was really alienating. I had 95 percent fear and only 5 percent excitement.

Today my neighbour and I went for a 2 hour walk with our babies. There was still snow everywhere but we managed to get a workout pushing our strollers through it. It is beautiful and sunny and it really helps with the fog in my head.
#16 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Also, my mom lured my husband over the other day with cake. She got him in the car alone and started talking about being worried about me and how I should get out. I know she cares but once again it is what she thinks that is good for me that I must do. He told her that I was okay, which is not totally true.
#17 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 PM

That's a good way of putting it. When Erin was born I felt so out of it, like I was exhausted, I think it was the drugs - I hope it was the drugs. When she was born they pulled down the curtain so I could see and I don't remember feeling anything, I don't think I even smiled. A little later DH nudged me and told me to listen because she was crying, a little after that he woke me again so I could see her - they'd stopped on the way to wheeling her so I could see her and I distinctly remember not caring. I still feel really guilty and sad over that. That was never what I wanted my first moments as a mother to be like.

But it was like disassociating from her happened in the blink of an eye. The two days previous I'd spent crying and worrying about her and hoping that she'd be okay and then she was born and all I wanted to do was sleep. Even now looking back the birth experience and the few weeks after that are a complete blur. I only remember bits and pieces. There are a lot of BIG things I don't remember, it used to upset me but now I think it might be for the best.

Anyway - getting out might be helpful to you, but it's never that easy when you've got a wee one. I'm glad you got out for a walk at least, the fresh air always did me good.
#18 of 31 Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriksmom View Post
I do not want to have a pity party because I am very happy with all that I have. I look at my son and am so proud of him. I could not love anyone more. But having lost so much control (hospitalization for pPROM, a premature birth, and a NICU hospital stay) I am hoping that I will be able to regain some power soon. I had so many expectations of this year and sometimes blame myself for them not becoming a reality.
One of the hardest things for me has been to stop feeling guilty for Peter's birth going the way it did. I still cry when I think of how terrifying it must have been for him. I can't fix that, except by wearing him in the sling and giving him milk and telling him all the time that we love him.

I also felt like I was unappreciative, or somehow unsupportive of him, whenever I felt sad, and that's not the case. I love him more than I've ever loved anything (it's kind of scary sometimes), and I realize that it was just because I wanted the best for him. I want it even more now, after seeing what a strong, amazing guy he is...I guess the way I'm trying to fix it for him and me is to just go one day at a time giving him love and joyful memories with Momma.

It's still so hard some days, especially when I see pregnant women. It's getting better, a little, but it's still so hard.

I'm on a fairly high dose of Zoloft and might be adding in Ativan, though, too.

Please PM me if you want to!
#19 of 31 Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM

I'm sorry this is such a difficult time for you s I remember being where you are with no real support (aside from my internet friends ). It was so hard. I still suffer seasonally from some depression coinciding with the time dd was in the NICU.

I wanted to comment and give you some hope and encouragement onthe BFing. I was almost resigned to exclusively pumping until I did one last try to get dd to the breast. She was 4mos actual/1mo adjusted at the time. I really did a "boot camp" approach and dropped all of the pumping and all of the bottles for 24 hours. She had accepted the breast briefly prior to that but it was a risk. I really only felt comfortable with that approach in our case b/c dd was back in the hospital for several days for reflux issues. I may have done it if I could have taken to the nurse or LC for weight checks also...

The point is that it may not be too late for nursing. 4mos is sometimes still young enough for a preemie to learn to feed fully from the breast. If you feel pumping is taking too much from your body and mind (which I can totally understand!), maybe a big push for nursing is OK before quitting making milk.

I'm glad you got out and walked for a few hours! The fresh air really can be amazing medicine s
#20 of 31 Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Everything everyone of you is decribing is how I feel to. I feel sad that my daughter was born early. I am guilty and I just want to scream at pregant women to stop looking happy! Seriously, don't even get me started on new moms with healthy babies.

But I am happy I have my little girl even with her problems. I think she is adorable and is starting to smile and coo. She finally started feeling like mine when I started wearing her and sleeping with her. That only happened this past weekend and she's been home since mid November.
#21 of 31 Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 PM

My son, Zephan, is 2 months old. He was born at 31 weeks after pprom at 29 and a lot of preterm labor before that. Looking back on my time on bed rest, I can now see that I was really struggling with depression near the end. I was so tired of bed rest, so tired of missing my husband and older kids, so tired of being in the hospital on terrible medicines, tired of no one understanding...I just wanted to give up.

I thought it would get better after Zephan was born. Most of the time he was in the NICU we were really numb, just trying to survive. When he came home about a month ago, again I thought it would get better. Then we had the same 3 weeks of snow (I'm in Seattle!). Some days I feel okay, other days I feel really down.

At this point, I'm trying to practice good self care to avoid needing medication. I'm trying to sleep enough (we're accidental co-sleepers for now, but at least everyone is sleeping!) and to eat well. Keep taking prenatal vitamins and consider adding fish oil.

The hardest thing is dealing with anger with my husband. This whole thing has been sooo hard on our marriage. Some days I feel like we're done - I feel very hopeless that things will change. I think the anger stuff is actually a symptom of depression.

I hope you are having a few sunny days up there like we are here in Seattle. Today we got busy and cleaned out the garage while our older boys rode bikes and scooters outside in the sun. Cleaning felt very healing. After a shower and a second latte for the day, I'm feeling like I can face a few more days.
#22 of 31 Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 PM

Although Jack was full-term and never stayed in the NICU, he was born at 5.5 lbs with a heart condition and has had a slew of feeding issues, growth issues, skin problems, etc. I look around on this board because I often feel like I am going through an experience more related to the preemie mommies than the "normal" baby mommies. I couldn't pass up this thread.

I feel depressed and anxious so much. I think anyone who has watched their child suffer, and worries for their child's ability to thrive must feel anxious. So I am not sure if this really qualifies as post-partum. Like you, we have no help here. I am 1000 miles away from my family. So all of the hospital stays, dr visits, new meds introduction, rashes, endless crying and lack of weight gain are a HUGE stress that no one is around to share.

I used to think that I SHOULD be able to handle this, and so something must be wrong, that it is impacting me so much. But, I also feel like historically people raised babies in groups, and therefore, there was support. It is nice to come online and have support, but it certainly isn't the same as someone to go to a drs appt with you.

You are not alone! It's winter here too. We got 18 inches of snow yesterday and same thing....can't go outside, can't expose to illness, which means I can't really get alot of exercise (which is my stress relief). It's REALLY hard. I feel your pain!
#23 of 31 Old 01-20-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

It is comforting to know that others are in the same boat. Not the one that we purchased tickets for and sometimes it feels like it may be sinking.

It was a difficult thread to start since it is not always talked about. Also, it is like admitting failure when you say that you cannot manage or need help. I feel guilty for having these feelings since this is not how it is supposed to be. Others have no clue.
#24 of 31 Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 AM

I have been struggling with the guilt and the sadness for all that we lost out on, all that didnt go as planned or dreamed. Our son was born at 28 wks and we spent 4 months in the NICU and have been home for just over a month. He continues to have medical issues and I feel so isolated. Of course winter doesnt help and not being able to go out becuase of his weakened immune system complicate the feelings. People think once you get home with your baby, no matter how long you were in the hospital, that all is good. I feel like I need to process, to grieve, to vent but feel as though I only come up against judgement or people saying the wrong thing while meaning well. It is very frustrating. So it is helpful to see other preemie moms can relate.
I am considering couseling but am nervous, I dont think I can handle too many more cliched responses.
:Chris, mom of Sierra,10, Seneca, 7, Savannah, 4 and Caleb born on 8/18/08 at 28 wks 1 day.
#25 of 31 Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM

Having a preemie is hard and totally different than a full term baby. I find that even now, two months later with my late term preemie, I have different expectations than other mothers. While I can change a cloth diaper in my sleep and know how to wash them, what gets the BM smell out of nursing bras, etc, I had to learn how to nurse, etc again. I also had to change the expectations of myself too.

G is nursing 100 per cent now unless I leave him with a bottle. However, I pumped, nursed and pumped, and then nursed, pumped and bottle fed. I like bfing, I can bf and I have the supply to do so. However, he wasn't gaining weight. It was about a month after his birth, and around his due date, that he was finally gaining weight enough to not go every three days to the drs. (Three kids. To the drs. During cold and flu season with a baby who had respirtory problems at birth! AHHHHHH! Torture!) I seriously considered giving up and pumping straight. I really had to wrestle with how I wanted to feed my child even though I nursed the others past one (15 and 21 months, respectivly). I had to remind myself that I was doing my best for my whole family (would my older children suffer if I was glued to the pump every two hours, not being able to help them? How would be go places if I needed to hid in the care to pump? How could I control them nursing a tiny baby with a nipple shield at mall play areas? Was this all fair to THEM?) Just because I nursed didn't mean I was a good mom and formula feeding didn't mean I was a bad mom either.

I too have a history of PPD, which my FP knew about. I sought treatment at 3 weeks PP, using natural progestrone shots instead of meds. I have, however, used meds before and they are safe for nursing. I figure my children NEED a happy, healthy, emotional stable mother and if it took some daily meds to do it, so be it.

My local AP group had lots of preemie moms and they gave me loads of support. I also sought out a LLL group in my area. It is a nighttime group so there are lots of little babies but few big kids. Is there one in your area? You could call a leader, explain your situation and ask if there are school age children around. Mostly people are very understanding about this. I also have friends from a SAHMs group. If there is one in your area, you might want to take a look-see. Some take place during the day, where there are less big kids. If you wear your baby, you might find people admire from afar instead of getting in your babes face. (My experience. We were at a local children's musem and a grimy toddler walked right up to my baby and rubbed his face. Now, I have grimy toddlers myself but I wanted to scream, "GET YOUR GERM RIDDEN KID OFF MY FRAGILE PREEMIE!" I didn't though. I just smiled and picked him up. And resisted the urge to wash his face with wipes!)

Do you not want to do the RSV vax or does he not qualify? Ask- it sounds like he might. The RSV vaccine is different from the "normal" ones- passive immunity vs active, I think. Check the dr. sears preemie book, as it has a good explaination. G has it, and it has given me an extra boost of confidence to leave the house, something I needed to do for my own sanity.

You are going through a tough time; the NICU was the hardest thing I have ever done as a parent. Please don't listen to others comparing their full term babies to yours. He is his own special, wonderful person who will develop at his own wonderful pace.
#26 of 31 Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM

He is getting the synagis vaccine, it has taken a while to get approved. And I am in several moms groups in my area but I am on hiatus until he gets bigger. He has trachea issues so any cold would be life threatening. And two of my daughters had RSV as infants so I am not taking any chances. We go to the doctor's offices (in my wrap) and that is it for now.
As far as breastfeeding, my milk supply never came in with him, I guess because he was born so early and I was on mag sulf. He was able to get my colustrum and then donor milk the entire time we were in the hospital but is now on preemie formula.
Yes having a preemie is so different than having a full term and I wish I could make others see that. Thanks for your advice.
Chris, mom of four precious children.
#27 of 31 Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 AM

Yeah, it took awhile to get approved for us too. Then the company called and I had to give verbal premission for them to send it to the dr. What was I going to say, no?! I think I actually said, "HE LL yes, send it!" Lol.

I wonder if there are/si any such thing as preemie parenting groups? Like MOMS Clubs but only for mothers who had preemies? Sure could use one.
#28 of 31 Old 01-23-2009, 02:47 AM

Do you mean like online or in real life?
#29 of 31 Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM

IRL. This is the only one I have found on-line.
#30 of 31 Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 AM

No, there really aren't many premmie groups online. IRL though, have you thought about posting a flyer at your hospital or at the maternal and child health centers?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page