New here- had a late term preemie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI, my name is Laura and I had my third child in Nov. Georgie was born at 35 weeks, 1 day and was 6 pounds, 8 ounces. Even though he was HUGE, lol, he had major breathing problems requiring a vent and surfactant. We spent 9 days in the NICU before going home. At home, he contuined to lose weight, requiring lots of bfing and supplementing. He finally began to gain weight around his due date of 12/24 and is now 9 weeks and nine pounds! :

This was totally unexpected, as my other two were 37 weeks and 40 weeks. My 37 weeker was my smallest at not quite six pounds; Georgie would have been nine pounds had he gone to term. I am quite proud of myself for that!

I'm lucky- my third kid, so I had lots of support and meals and things lined up. I half miss the NICU and all the friends we made there; some of my happiest memories in an otherwise dark time were sitting in the parents lounge talking to the other parents. I realized there's a great need for pumping, preemie, etc support up there. I hope to create a group that would give support to those parents.

I had to reevulate alot of what I do for some aspects of parenting. I divided my time between my older two and the hospital, which was hard because you always miss the kid you aren't with. I had to decide how long and how hard I try to bf when he wasn't gaining weight. I had a natural childbirth but with every intervention (sans pain meds) that I never had before: IV, constant monitoring, pit and abx. That was hard b/c the ultimate goal of birth is a healthy baby and mom- I compromised on everything and still didn't get a healthy baby out of the deal. (Then. He is now.)

I'm glad to find this group to talk to other preemie parents and process what happened. At the end of the day, I'm just happy Georgie is home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Just wanted to say congratulations and glad everyone is doing great! :
Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Congratulations! Glad you made it throught the NICU relatively quickly (even though I know it seemed like an eternity.)

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 PM

I'm glad to hear your son is doing well. Our son Zephan was born at 31 weeks in November, probably right around the same time as your Georgie. I also have three kids. My second was born at 35 weeks and had a short stay in the NICU.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, Georgie was born on 11/20. 9 days was short but it felt long! He is 4 weeks, adjusted. He acts somewhere between his real and adjusted age. He's starting to get more alert now. Is your son home yet?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:06 AM

Hi - had a very similar experience as yours (no pain meds but every intervention known to modern science; was induced due to preeclampsia) and my DD was born 5 weeks early. Despite the team of pediatricians at the ready, she did great from the get-go. I feel misplaced even posting in a forum for parents of preemies as I know there are mamas here struggling through the challenges of micro preemies and long NICU stays, and our experience, thankfully, cannot touch that. Nonetheless, we did have our issues with her not gaining weight and being too sleepy to feed, severe jaundice, etc. DD has definitely also been exhibiting some minor delays. She did not smile until 3 months (ouch, that was SO hard), did not really seem to be "present" and aware of her surroundings until about 3 months, just started grasping at things at around 4.3 months, and at 6 months (next week) she has still not rolled over and is a looooong way from sitting up. She appears, developmentally, much more in line with a 4 month old right now. This is in sharp contrast to my older DD who did everything either early or right on time - she was born at 37 weeks and I understand that those extra 2 weeks can make a real difference at the beginning. I am not concerned, since I'm sure she will do things at her own speed when she is ready and she is blessedly healthy, but I do notice the effect that her very late preterm birth seems to be having.

Congratulations on your baby - love the name Georgie!

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

ty penny. i noticed today geogie seems more in line with a six week old, just bigger. that, i know, is normal but still hurts. thankfully, he is improving in an upward direction, which is good!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 AM

Yes - it fascinates me that my older DD, the 37 weeker was so on target, even ahead of the curve (first sentence at 14 months), and that we are seeing such obvious delays in our 35 weeker. Those additional 2 weeks really can make a world of difference, can't they? I think the delays are more obvious at this stage, when development is measured in weeks. I know as time passes they will dwindle completely. It is good to talk with other parents with similar experiences, though - as I said, I feel like kind of a jerk even posting on preemie forum (I mostly lurk!) since my concerns are so minor in the grand scheme, y'know?

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals

User Tag List