BLW and preemies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my DD is now 6 months adjusted and I'm wanting to BLW. I'm just curious to hear from other moms of preemies who have done BLW. What did you do about iron? Any foods in particular that should be emphasized? Anything I should be careful of? TIA!

note: x-posted in "Life with a Babe"
#2 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Sorry, what's BLW?
#3 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

sorry -- baby-led weaning
#4 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 PM

Oh! Righto, I'm not very good with all the abbreviations.

We didn't learn about it until Erin had been on solids for a long time. In hindsight I wish I'd tried this first. I can't help but wonder if I'd let her be in control of what she ate that she might be more inclined to do it now.
#5 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 PM

I'm not sure if BLW is the same as CLW. So keeping that in mind, here is my experience. It depends on the child. If you have a boobie monster of a kid (like my two) you may find yourself in the position of having weaning one at 4 years and 2 months and having the second child still nursing at 4 years and 1 month with no sign of stopping. (She alternately says she will wean when 5, or never, depending on the day.)

I have a friend who has a baby (full term though) who nursed until 11 months, and then just started slowing down a lot, and by about a year he had stopped altogether.

My own children, by the way, also transitioned easily to solid foods and liked a variety of solids right from the beginning. My oldest was snatching food off our plates by 8-9 months, so we started just grinding up whatever we were having and giving it to her. We eat meat, which she liked, so we weren't too concerned about iron.
#6 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 03:07 PM

We did BLW with our 29-weeker, and it was fantastic! It's incredibly easy, and I loved the fact that my son got to be in control of his own feeding. He's now 13 months (10.5 months adj), and he will eat anything we put in front of him. He's very skilled with food, too, so much more than babies his age who were spoon-fed. I have a series of posts about our BLW experience on his blog, if you're interested: http://carterlogan.blogspot.com/search/label/feeding (They're in reverse order, so scroll back to the beginning.

There's also a BLW thread on the Life With a Babe board.
#7 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
I'm not sure if BLW is the same as CLW. So keeping that in mind, here is my experience.
BLW is using the word "weaning" in the British sense of weaning *onto* food, not off the boob. :-) It's a very natural way of introducing your baby to solids that skips the puree stage and basically starts them self-feeding.

For more info, see: http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/
#8 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the link to your blog! I can't wait to read it!!
#9 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

So I read over your blog! Great photos!! I have a question, though: did you find BLW difficult when your son didn't have any teeth? what foods did you find were easiest to start with? and were you ever afraid he wasn't getting enough iron since he was a preemie?
#10 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siera View Post
So I read over your blog! Great photos!! I have a question, though: did you find BLW difficult when your son didn't have any teeth? what foods did you find were easiest to start with? and were you ever afraid he wasn't getting enough iron since he was a preemie?
Thanks! :-)

The thing about BLW is that they don't actually consume anything at first. The whole point is that they learn that eating is a social event the family participates in, and they start playing with food. At that age they put everything in their mouths as a way of exploring their world, and they go after food the same way. They won't try to swallow anything for a while, because they don't understand that is what food is for!

So at first, you give them big chunks of food that have interesting tastes and textures, like a half an apple, a piece of broccoli with a long stalk, a piece of asparagus, or a strip of lean steak. They will gum them and suck on them and play with them, and that's about the extent of it for a month. My son didn't really start consuming food until he was about 9 months adjusted age. He started biting off chunks and moving them around in his mouth somewhere around 7 m adj, and he would play with them for a while before spitting them out again. The cool thing IMO about BLW is that they proceed at their own pace, and when they're ready, they eat. There's no battling with a spoon, or trying to convince them to eat. They do it when they're ready.

There's a fantastic book about BLW that you might consider taking a look at, called Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby To Love Good Food, by Gill Rapley. She outlines the hows and whys really well.

Carter was a 29 weeker, so iron has been an issue for us all along. We supplemented for the first whole year. I stopped supplementing him at around 9.5 months adj., a few weeks before his 1 year WBV. They drew a CBC at that visit, and it came back normal, so I knew then he was getting enough iron from milk and solids. So to answer your question, yes, iron remained a concern for us until the tests came back clear. We used the My Kidz brand, and he really liked the taste of it, so it wasn't a problem to give to him. :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page