Babywearing a preemie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister's baby was born @ 30 weeks gestation a month ago; he's been discharged from the hospital now and is doing really well! He's 5 lbs now.:

I'm going to be taking her a wrap, and she has a ring sling. Because of his reflux, we're going to try an upright carry. She's very, very concerned about airway constriction. What do I need to know about wearing a preemie that is perhaps different than a full-term infant?

(X-posted in Babywearing)

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#2 of 13 Old 03-01-2009, 05:37 PM

How funny, I was just coming here to post the same thing. Mine are probably two weeks from coming home. I'll be waiting for answers!

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#3 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 AM

Wow, he is doing well! Home after only a month!

I liked the newborn carry in the Moby (http://www.mobywrap.com/t-mobywrap.aspx the picture on the far right shows the newborn carry.). Babe stayed upright and cozy, and I felt very confident that his airway was ok. I was super worried about airway constriction too, but slowly let myself trust that my baby was ok laying in the Maya ring sling, which he loved. The first week or so, I'd check every few minutes to make sure he was ok! And he always was!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#4 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 12:59 AM

We found that the moby wrap and the beco butterfly were the best carriers with our preemies when they were 5-10 pounds. Both Zephan and Micah preferred being carried upright (helps with reflux!) and it seemed like both of these carriers were comfortable for this. As far as breathing, make sure the baby's head is well supported. If you keep the baby in a "frog" position, much like what you would do for kangaroo care, with their chin slightly up, the baby should have no trouble breathing. If you have taken infant CPR, remember what you do to open the airway? Tip the baby's head back slightly. Same idea. When we did use a sling, we would fold a swaddling blanket and put it behind the baby's back to make the space in the sling smaller and more supportive.

And obviously, with the baby in a carrier, you can feel them breathe!
#5 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 AM

DS was 4.5 pounds when he was released about 3 weeks before his due date. I wore him in the newborn hug hold in my Moby wrap as much as possible, and airway constriction was never a problem. I tried putting him in the sling in a cradle position and got freaked out about that possibility, so I definitely recommend the wrap!
#6 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 AM

LOVE wraps for the newborn stage!

I started wearing DD in the NICU early on (maybe when she would have been about 32 weeks). I used the front wrap cross carry w/ legs froggy style.

Honestly...I didn't do anything differently for my preemie when wearing her.

- Kim
#7 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 02:30 AM

I wore Erin in a wrap, upright because of her reflux. I was concerned about the air way thing with a sling too so we didn't use those with her until she was a bit older. The wrap was fantastic for us, very comfortable while we were out shopping and let me give her as much support as she needed while still allowing her to see out (when she was older, in the beginning I'd put her in the wrap and she'd be asleep in under 2 minutes : )

Erin's reflux was pretty bad, but I still only got spewed on the once.
#8 of 13 Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 PM

I used the moby when Charlie was really small...but once he was 8 lbs or so we used the Kozy.
#9 of 13 Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 AM

I started putting Molly in the Moby wrap when she was 3 1/2 lbs. She's 10 lbs now & still loves it.
#10 of 13 Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 AM

I agree with everyone on the moby. I asked this same exact question when I brought my son home. He was so little he just slid into a puddle at the bottom of asian style carriers and he was too light to make the rings catch right on ring slings. I didn't like the moby AT ALL for my full termers, but it was WONDERFUL for my little bitty preemie boy.
#11 of 13 Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 PM

yep, moby. and that also for twin preemies - but don't expect to do anything other than snuggle with two tinies in there skybluepink

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#12 of 13 Old 03-07-2009, 08:40 PM

A friend of mine with preemie twins says ditto on the Moby.
#13 of 13 Old 03-08-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! She ended up taking my Tentoes Click. It really seemed to meet her needs at the time for ease and convenience, and was a good fit for the baby.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page