Do nurses in NICU hold infants? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 06-28-2009, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed this thread so I thought I would respond. My son was only in the NICU for 6 days, but the whole time he was there, I only saw one baby being held in my sons room. The other 4 couldn't be held. They were on limited contact and the nurses tried to reserve the "holding" time for mom and dad.

My son however could be held, but I don't think the nurses did. We were there every day though from about 10 am to 11 pm so he got lots of snuggles once we could pick him up and as soon as he got his umbillical line out, he was constantly in my arms. I guess that was the difference of having a full term baby with RSD vs. a 26 weeker still on a vent. I think my son was put in that particular room originally because he was on a vent for 12 hours, but stayed because he was so easy. The other babies constantly had a monitor or something going off.

The baby that was held in there, I never saw a parent, but she was held for every feeding and sometimes just for fun by the volunteers.
#32 of 45 Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 AM

In the NICU my daughter was in, if the babies could be held, they were. They usually had 1:1 or 1:2 nursing care. They never let them cry, I was very worried about this. the nurses mostly stood near the beds - they had computers right there and did all their charting at bedside. Same in the PICU. One time I saw a doctor holding a bigger baby in the PICU so much, I finally asked a nurse if that was actually that doctor's own child. She said no, but that baby's mom wasn't there very much, and they all took turns loving on him
#33 of 45 Old 07-05-2009, 04:17 AM

Bottle-fed babies get held, tube-fed babies do not. At least that's how it was when DD was in the NICU. I think the tube-fed babies should be held at least as much as the other babies. If nurses can find time to hold and feed babies, they can find time to hold the tube-fed babies too.

We were there as much as we could be for DD, but we just couldn't be there 24/7. The nurses never even fully picked her up. They would lift her to change her sheets or to put a pad under her to give her a bath. Sometimes they would put her in a swing. But she was only held by me or my mom.
#34 of 45 Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM

In my experience it depended on the NICU... my son first stayed in the NICU at the hospital in which he was born. Babies were ignored while crying a lot there, which was very disturbing. He received a TPN burn because they also ignored the IV monitors beeping to be changed also. At eight months he still has a very noticeable TPN scar... when he was transferred to the NICU of a children's hospital, he was held in a rocking chair and rocked everytime he was fed and many times afterwards as well. In the first hospital, the babies were mostly left in their bassinet and held up in a sitting position with their heads tilting back and at a slight recline and then burped in a sitting position.

I'm mommy to one of these: : and I like it.
#35 of 45 Old 07-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
Ours never held babies. They also chatted or played on the computer when they had free time. But I don't think they had much free time. One once offered to give my daughter her binky if she cried during the night, because I was so upset about leaving her one night, but that was as nice as they got in regards to comforting the babies. One baby cried constantly and they put a mobile in her crib to entertain her, but that was about it. Kind of sad. In fact when they held them for feedings they frequently talked to each other instead of interacting with the baby.
Nurses in my son's NICU would shop online...

I'm mommy to one of these: : and I like it.
#36 of 45 Old 07-09-2009, 03:57 PM

When my youngest was in the NICU I had a hard time sleeping in my room. The hospital set up a spare room with a bed and TV so DH and I could stay in the hospital while DS was still in. One night I was having a hard time sleeping. I had only fed DS about an hour before, and I had put him back in the isolette so he could sleep. Anyways, I went into the NICU and I heard singing. I turned the corner where DS's isolette was and the nurse was in a rocking chair singing and rocking ds. I was a bit concerned when I went in there, and a bit angry that they hadn't came and got me because he was crying, but the nurse said "oh no no, I just love holding the babies so I thought he would like a snuggle while I have free time". It was awesome. The nurses were wonderful. They were always offering hugs and kind words when I was upset. Someone was always near the isolette rubbing ds's head through the little arm holes.
#37 of 45 Old 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
One time I saw a doctor holding a bigger baby in the PICU so much, I finally asked a nurse if that was actually that doctor's own child. She said no, but that baby's mom wasn't there very much, and they all took turns loving on him
That makes me cry. What a lucky little baby to have so many people care about him.
#38 of 45 Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM

In our nurseries, in the NICU and the step down unit, nurses did hold babies. In the NICU there were babies who's parents were never there. In the step down unit which is the unit they put our son in because he wasn't "critical" anymore he basically just had to get big. The nurses in there held babies all the time, we even had volunteers in there holding some of the babies. We had several babies being detoxed from where mom was on some sort of drug while pregnant. Those babies were always being held, that was pretty much the only way they could keep them comfortable

With my son they didn't hold him because we were there all the time and we held him. Even when he had the NG tube in his nose we still held him. I think for the most part they hold the babies whom don't have a parent coming to see them so they are use to human contact.
#39 of 45 Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
Bottle-fed babies get held, tube-fed babies do not. At least that's how it was when DD was in the NICU. I think the tube-fed babies should be held at least as much as the other babies. If nurses can find time to hold and feed babies, they can find time to hold the tube-fed babies too.

We were there as much as we could be for DD, but we just couldn't be there 24/7. The nurses never even fully picked her up. They would lift her to change her sheets or to put a pad under her to give her a bath. Sometimes they would put her in a swing. But she was only held by me or my mom.
In our nursery if the parents were there the tube fed babies got held, but if mom or dad wasn't there they didn't get held. Usually because they had all the babies on the same feeding schedule. Each nurse had 3-4 babies so they didn't really have time to hold the babies unless they had to for most. I think it generally depends how many babies they have and the severity of the babies needs. I had stated in a another post we had many drug recovery babies in our step down unit (the most the hospital had ever had at the same time) so they pretty much demanded the nurses times. Hayden was always quiet. He never cried, the one time he did cry they searched the whole nursery to find out which baby was crying because they didn't recognize his cry, he was the last one they checked.

If the nurses didn't hold the babies, they would at least stop for a moment or 2 just to hold the babies hands... just so those babies who's parents were never there could have some kind of contact.
#40 of 45 Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When we were there we some of the babies were held. I remember arrving later than planned one day and finding the nurse holding a crying DD while doing paper work.

When DD was still tube fed we had to keep her still for 20 minutes or so after feeding or she wouldn't keep the milk down. I didn't see many tube fed babies being held for feeding and assumed this was why. The babies taking bottles seemed to be held for feeding.

Most of the nurses seemed to touch the babies and talk to them when changing them and so on even if they wern't holding them.
#41 of 45 Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM

In DD's NICU, I saw nurses, doctors and volunteer "cuddlers" holding babies. I think which babies were held depended much on how fussy the individual babies were, and which ones did not have lots of visitors. The nurses did not hold DD much, but that was because either I or DH was there for about 15 hours a day.

Paula

Paula - wife to Mike, mom to Zoey and Zander
#42 of 45 Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 PM

My dd was in the NICU for 7 weeks, and I was there all day almost every day (I think I went home twice), but she also got cuddled lots by the night nurses when I wasn't there. To this day she goes really easily to women she barely knows, and I think it's because she got loved on by so many nurses (most of them women) in the NICU. She can also sleep through anything. She was mostly tube fed, and so didn't necessarily get held while feeding if I wasn't there, but she got held at other times. There was lots of baby cuddling in our NICU! I was sooooo glad that we were there, if we HAD to be in the hospital. They were fantastic.
#43 of 45 Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM

Yeah, at the hospital my son was at, they actually had all the babies on seperate schedules for feeding, just so they could be held. Obviously very early or unstable babies werent, but within a few days they were holding my son for every feeding-even though it was by tube. They also had a 1:1 or 1:2 nurse/baby ratio, depending on the day.

As I said, my son was very quiet and didnt cry much, but the baby on the other side of the hallway was quite the opposite. She was always crying and getting worked up. If her parents were gone, I'd see the nurse try a binky and if that didnt work, they'd end up taking her out of the isolette and carrying her around to calm her. I also dont think I EVER saw nurses sitting around talking or playing on the computer. If they had a chance to sit down, it was generally only one, and not for very long.

Any nicu that was just letting the baby's cry should be reported. As someone else said-crying takes a lot of calories and energy. These baby's need to be as calm as possible so they can reserve as much of their calories as possible.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#44 of 45 Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 PM

My DD stayed in two NICU's.

The first was at a large hospital where they had close to 90 babies inthe NICU. The nurses held the babies when they could but there just wasn't enough time, other than feeds. There were a couple of older babies who's parents couldn't be there much, those babies got a lot more attention and spent time in the swing, etc because they were bigger. Overall though the nurses were great, but insanely busy. If they had time to sit and relax at all, though, they would be holding a baby.

She transferred to a smaller hospital at 2weeks 2 days old. The NICU there only had 4 babies in it, it was so quiet. I loved it there. We were there for just over a month. If I wasn't there to hold Chloe( I was there from about 9am-9pm everyday), someone was always holding her. It was an amazing atmosphere. But they just weren't as busy, so they had time.
#45 of 45 Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Our NICU, the nurses held the babies a lot. It was nice to see. There was also a man that would come and play his guitar and sing softly to the babies, and the nurses would hold a baby or 2, and rock them as he sang.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page