ounces per day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does ne one have an average of how many ounces per day a preemie needs or is suppose to get??? I was reading some hospital papers today from my 36 weeker and it said 25 oz...that seems like a huge amount for someone so small???? we are not getting 25oz a day---he was born at 36 weeks but as of today he is 38 wks...just wondering! Thanks
#2 of 5 Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 36 weeker was discharged after his due date taking 21oz a day, max. 25oz doesn't sound like a ton though for a child without severe feeding problems.
#3 of 5 Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 PM

DS (32w4d, 4 lbs 8 oz at birth) was discharged at 35w3d weighing 5 lbs 3 oz. He was taking 2ish ounces every 3 hours, so I would say 16-20 ounces of EBM a day when he was discharged. Once he got home we were nursing and supplementing with EBM so it's hard to say after that.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 PM

How much a baby needs has more to do with their weight than with their age. It also depends on the calorie content of your milk.

For the first six months, a baby (not preemie) needs approximately 50 calories per day per pound. So a 6 pound baby would need 300 calories, or roughly 15 ounces. This would be approximately 2 ounces per feeding (assuming your breastmilk has 20 calories per ounce), 8 times a day. A full-term newborn weighing 9.5 pounds would need about 24 ounces.

Preemies need more than this per pound of body weight to help them catch up. I think the doctors' goal at our NICU was around 60 calories per pound up to the baby's due date. When preemies are fed formula, it is often fortified to have 22-24, or even more, calories per ounce. If growth is a concern and you are bottle feeding, talk to your pediatrician about fortifying.

If you are breastfeeding, however, I wouldn't worry about all of this! I would just concentrate on making sure your baby is having plenty of wet diapers and is growing at least 1/4-1/2 pound a week.
#5 of 5 Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 PM

Mine takes 2oz (60ml) every 3-4 hours. She now weighs 8 pounds. The doctor is pleased. She gets BM supplemented with NeoSure and Beneprotein to 26kcal.

She's 3 months old, but her tummy is still small. Any more than 2-2.5 oz and she gives us what her tummy doesn't hold.

We figured we'd rather do a little more frequent feedings than to clean up spit-up.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page