Length of Preemies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious, has anyone else had this issue.

My son is going to be a year in a month. I had him weighed/measured at WIC the other day. While his weight is decent (around 50th percentile for his adjusted age), his height isn't so good. He's at 5th percentile for height for his adjusted age, and well off the charts for his actual age.

Is that normal? I'm not horribly worried, but I have noticed his growth die down a lot. He's just barely in 6-9 month clothes and half of his 3-6 month stuff could still fit-allbeit a bit snuggly. He doesnt look sickly or anything and he just started crawling, so I know he'll be burning more calories-but that's very recent, so I dont think its the reason he's so short.

Any thoughts? I'll take him to the ped next week to get her take on it, but I was hoping you other preemie experienced parents might have seen similar in your little one.

Thanks!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#2 of 10 Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 PM

Audrey was 34wks, and at a year she was 27.5", about 5-10% on the charts. She's got a big honking head though, lol, which makes her appear bigger than she is, and no one questions her size, lol.
#3 of 10 Old 06-28-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Lol, he's 11 months and 27.5 inches, how wierd. He was 17" at birth but I dont know how much that matters. Good to know someone else has a shorty too though!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#4 of 10 Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 PM

My babies are barely on the charts for their actual age, but fine according to their adjusted age. I don't worry about it. I honestly dont' know why doctors are so obsessed about preemies being on the chart for their actual age. It's silly! They don't come out full-sized when they're early, why should they suddenly gain tons of weight to catch up with babies who are comparatively several months older than them?

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#5 of 10 Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 AM

I think a typical baby grows 10 inches their first year. Your little one has already done more than that...

I've found that each of my kids tend to grow a little chubbier and then a little longer. Then their feet grow. Or their heads. Our 4 year old son Asher was 38 inches for the longest time. Almost 9 months. And then in a few weeks this spring he grew 3 inches. Or my 2 year old son Micah's feet went from a size 4 to a size 6 in days.

As long as the overall trend is growing, I wouldn't worry.
#6 of 10 Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 PM

My daughter was 17" when she was born (32 weeks) and at 1 she is 28", so not too much different than yours. She is in the 25-50% for her adjusted age in height, which is what she has always been and the pediatrician doesn't seem concerned at all.
#7 of 10 Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 PM

My little one was born at 33 weeks, 4 pounds 1 ounce and 16 inches long. I'm not sure how tall she was at a year, or two, or three (I'd have to look it up) but she's 4.5 now and so small she's not on the chart for height. She's about 37 inches tall and typically wears size 2-3T. However, I've always though it had more to do with my size, as I've always been really small too, I'm only 5 feet tall now.
#8 of 10 Old 07-28-2009, 05:06 PM

My Amelia is 9 months and is 24.5 inches long right now (born at 12" - 24wks). She is currently 14.5lbs and in the 3rd percentile of her weight bracket on the charts, but not yet on the charts for the height. My pediatrician said that it usually takes the preemies longer to get on the height chart than the weight chart. I'm not really worried because she is truly amazing for how far she has come.

i can't wait until she starts talking, but I also don't want her to grow up too fast lol!
#9 of 10 Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
My little one was born at 33 weeks, 4 pounds 1 ounce and 16 inches long. I'm not sure how tall she was at a year, or two, or three (I'd have to look it up) but she's 4.5 now and so small she's not on the chart for height. She's about 37 inches tall and typically wears size 2-3T. However, I've always though it had more to do with my size, as I've always been really small too, I'm only 5 feet tall now.
Both myself and dd's father are on the shorter side. I am 5'2. He's not too much taller. So I attribute my own dd's stature to her genetics as well.

Don't forget, genetics kick in at some point and if your or your DH are shorter, your LO may also be short as well.
#10 of 10 Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Has his growth hormone level ever been tested?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page