Help---microcephaly questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took my baby to his two month checkup today and the doctor was concerned that my babies head is not growing as it should be. He measured 39 cm. After measuring once and leaving the room, the nurse brought in the doctor and said that he was measuring small and usually they just read the tape measure incorrectly and wanted to do it again. Well it wasn't wrong and I could tell that they were trying to limit their conversation in front of us.

My baby has the chubbiest checks and looks like a little chipmunk with nuts in his cheeks and after looking up pictures of children with microcephaly I'm just a wreck because he actually looks like those children.

If any of you can give me information on this please help me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-16-2009, 12:47 AM

i don't have any help- but wanted to . we were on the other end of it- a hydrocephaly scare with an IVH. it made me a wreck too. I'm sorry, mama.

please stay off the internet unless you look at reputable sites- too much junk out there. MUSC has a great website for children. this is where we were with lilah. you can worry yourself to death on the internet, so please be careful.

i'm saying a prayer for your little one.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#3 of 3 Old 08-16-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much musiclady...I'm hoping to get all the prayers I can.

My husband also said that I need to stay off the internet but it was just how the pediatricians acted. After reading up more on growth charts I came across one that said preemies should be measured by their adjusted age (actual age less weeks premature). This actually brought things more in line but I would have thought the pediatrician would have known this BUT then it doesn't seem to be stressed on any of the growth chart websites.

I'm still worried and I guess I need to call the ped and ask if they considered this factor into their measurement but I'm really worried on what they will say.

Thank you and please keep him in your prayers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page