if you dont vax or selective/delay did you get the babies the rsv vax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we dont vax the big kids anymore and will likely not vax this one for anything- if we do it'll be very selective and very delayed. the ped wants to do the paperwork to get new ds qualified for the rsv series and i know nothing about it and have very little time w all that is going on to research it. please tell me all you know about the rsv set...

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 03:30 AM

We delay/selective vax our older kids.

We absolutely did synagis for our preemie. First of all, it's not a vaccine. The risk from the shots is minimal compared to the very significant risks of RSV for a preemie. Although, with a baby born at 34 weeks, unless the babe had significant lung issues, you may not quality for synagis. Around here, babies have to be born before 32 weeks or have other risk factors to quality.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:11 PM

If you are lucky enough to qualify for Synagis, get it. We will be getting it for our second winter even if we have to make the huge sacrifice to pay for it ourselves. (our LO has severe lung disease, on O2 for 8 months). Sbrinton is right, it is not a vaccine. A (very) simplified way of explaining it is that it is giving your child an immune system boost against RSV. It wears off in 30 days and you have to keep getting it through the season. My friend's healthy, chubby full-termer got RSV at 8 months and had to be hospitalized for a week. RSV can be serious business! Good luck!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 PM

We don't vax and we did get the RSV shots. I wasn't able to sequester my ds for his first winter (dh was deployed), so I felt they were really important since ds was going to have to be out with the general population a lot.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:55 PM

We are selective/delayed vaxers and gave synagis to all 3 of our preemies. My 29 weeker was born just as RSV season started so she started the shots at 30 days old.

Here is the product info to look through. Definitely do some research to decide what you are the most comfortable with.

http://www.medimmune.com/pdf/products/synagis_pi.pdf

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM

My ds3 wasn't elligible for it, and he ended up with RSV. My experience with that, even having avoided hospitalization, was bad enough that I would get it for any baby I ever had who qualified for it, even though we don't vax.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:03 PM

We do extremely limited vaxes (like 1 or 2 and those are substantially delayed), and we used Synagis.

It is NOT a vaccine like you would think, it's more like actual antibodies. A person is injected with the antibodies and it has to be refreshed every 28days if I remember correctly because they degrade just like the ones in our bodies. This shot doesn't "teach" the immune system how to make it's own antibodies like other vaccines are supposed to.

It really isn't like a regular vaccine, and IF you qualify for insurance coverage of it, I'd go for it. The shots cost a little over a $1000 a piece (the price does change a bit, I'm stating what we paid when my daughter was getting it in 06-07 for the particular pharmacy that offers it), and you need one shot every 28 days, and the flu season around me runs about 6-7 months...

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

Old 08-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Definitely get it! I very selectively vax and I was 100% on board with Synagis and I was trying to get it approved for a second year but the ped. says they don't qualify. Even with the shot, we ended up with RSV at the end of March and one DS ended up in the ER and then a 4 day hospital stay on oxygen. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if we had not had the Synagis shots.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

Old 08-17-2009, 12:26 AM

We vaccinated our preemie, so I am not exactly the person from whom you were seeking an answer. What I did want to add was that we got synagis for our preemie - she stayed healthy. Our full term son of course did not get synagis. He did get RSV. Seeing the toll that RSV can take on a toddler with healthy lungs, there is no way I would skip synagis for a child for questionable health.

Paula - wife to Mike, mom to Zoey and Zander
Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 PM

Our 33 weeker got the synagis shots and I would do it again in a heartbeat. He ended up getting RSV but didn't have to hospitalized. The doctor's and I believe the synagis shots made all the difference. GET THE SHOTS!!!

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM

GET IT!!!!!!!11 Our dr got it for our 35 weeker and I thank him EVERY time I see him!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:30 PM

Get the Synagis! We qualified the 1st 2 years, and I am so thankful. We had 2 friends children end up in ICU that were not preemie with RSV.

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 AM

We didn't qualify, didn't get it, and it was very difficult to have my dd in the children's hospital for 8 days when she was 6 wks old. I really didn't think she'd have any problems and I don't know if the synagis shots would have prevented her illness... she was tested and did not have RSV but another unidentified virus. She had bronchiolitis and had apnea spells that were very scary. She ended up on her home monitor until 5 months old because of this illness too. Get the shots if you can.

User Tag List