Parents of older preemies - how did it turn out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 83 Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
my daughter was 32 weeks. Spent 3 weeks in NICU.
She just turned 3 in June and you would never know she was preemie other than she is petite, but that could be because of anything...Dr.'s always say "well she was preemie".
@ 1 she was FTT, but I lean more towards it being because of food allergies. I did notice she was a bit behind speech wise @ 2, but with some Early Intervention, she is all caught up and ahead of some kids her age.
Health is great. Perfect teeth. She is on the lower end of the percentile, but oh well..she is happy, healthy and thriving.
A far as hitting milestones, I think she was on track if we went by her original EDD..like she walked when she was 15 months which would be 13 months adjusted..normal? Other than that, she is perfect

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 83 Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son was born at 30 weeks 3 days. He's now 9 and in 4th grade. He's doing well in school and was just accelerated to 5th grade math. He does have a preemie head but I don't think anyone notices that but me. No health issues, other than hayfever.

And I feel bad admitting this since he's doing so well but part of me still wonders "what if he had been born at term", you know??
#33 of 83 Old 09-20-2009, 05:53 PM

I can't really help completely since my preemie is only 14 months old. He hasnt had ANY issues, but I know thats not what you're looking for.

I can say, however, that my full term, completely normal kids have had issues at one point or another. My eldest has ADHD and Bipolar disorder, along with epilepsy (that's been non-active for 3 years now!). My 2nd had tongue tie which resulted in speech delays and she needed her tonsils out at 4 for snoring/apnea. She inherited my giant tonsils, lol. My 3rd has horrible cavities that she needs to be put under general for (she just turned 4 and won't let a dentist near her).

Anyway, my point is, even if a child is full term and totally healthy, doesn't mean everything is perfect. Is it really that bad? Nah. Its just part of having kids.

From what I've seen, most kids that arn't full out micro preemies do really well and they dont have issues later on. Just keep that in mind as well.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#34 of 83 Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 PM

I can relate to what your saying; I too come from another preemie forum

We, as preemie parents are all to aware of the 'what ifs' and the'what the future could hold' for our preemies. We know they could have long term problems, and we definatley dont need to be reminded of it by everyone we see. We are very proud of our tiny miracles; as we should be!

I had my first baby at 35 weeks due to oligohydramnios. She was 5 lb 6 oz 17 in. She had Respiratory distress syndrome/Hyaline membrane disease, Newborn cyanosis, Pulmonary hypoplasia (lung development of a 29 weeker,) Pulmonary hypertension, Low birth weight, 19% weight loss, apnea of prematurity, bradicardia, hyperbilirubnemia, hypoglycemia, immature suck-swallow-breath reflex, inability to maintain body heat, mild reflux, mild bronchopulmonary dysplasia, and thrush. She came home at 10 days old weighing 4 lbs 13 ozs, on oxygen for 2 months and an apnea monitor for 4 months. Today she is 10 years old, 20% for weight and height, she is in the 4th grade and doing fantastic. Her lungs are much healthier than we could have ever expected and she never had any developmental delays. She is ADD but it is well controled with meds. She is thriving, and after all she overcame as a newborn I couldnt be more proud of her.

My second baby was born at 35.5 weeks due to oligohydramnios again. He was a robust 6 lb 8 oz and 18.5 ins long. He went to the special care nursery for about an hour for observation, but I took him home at a day old. He was almost put back in the hospital at 5 days old when his weight dropped to 5 lb 8 oz due to not eating, but I convinced them to give us a little more time. After that he took off and started doing well. He had MSPI and was on hypoallergenic formula until he was 15 months and was really tiny for a long time, but developmentally he was amazing; even walked at 9.5 months! He will be 8 years old tomorrow and is doing fantastic. He is 70% height and 10% weight and has ADHD/impulsive behavior, but it is well controlled with medication. He is in 2nd grade and doinf fantastic.

My 3rd baby was born by emergency c section at 33 weeks due to pPROM. She ws 4 lb 5 oz 16 ins long and doing amazing. She was on oxygen for less than 24 hours and had an uneventful NICU staay. I brought her home at 10 days old weighing a mere 3 lbs 14 ozs. She was 100% breastfed and continued to nurse until she was 2 years and 7 months old. She was always really small and was tested for cystic fibrosis at 3 years old due to FTT. Today she is 4 years 7 months old, off the charts for weight (29.8 lbs) and 8% for height. She has asthma (diagnosed at 24 months) and a really weak immune system, and enamel hypoplasia, but she is healthy and thriving. She didnt have developmental delays either and was even saying simple words at 11 months old. Our biggest challenge with her now is keeping her lungs healthy. She takes 3 meds a day for her lungs, but in the end its a small price to pay to have her here and doing well.

Our 4th (and last) baby was born by c section at 32w 3d; 5 days after pPROM. He had the benifit of the betamethazone shots before birth and he did so well that I have often wondered if he was actually born later than they said. He was 3 lbs 13 oz and 15 in tall. His NICU stay was so uneventful that I dont even need to give details! At 8 days old, weighing just 3 lbs 10 ozs, he left the NICU behind him forever. He will be 2 years old in 5 days and is 5% weight and height. He has anemia, reflux, and enamel hypoplasia, but again, these problems are so small compared to what could have been!! He had some minor speach delay, but with PE tubes placed, he just took off with talking and is doing fantastic.

Im very proud of how far my babies have come and like you, I prefer to focus on that rather than the problems they may still face in their future.
#35 of 83 Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM

will be 5 in March. She has what others have described as "Preemie Teeth" but only on a few of her teeth. Other wise she is indistinguishable from her preschool class mates.

She is not the tallest or the shortest. She has a huge vocab. and a constant need to talk, but I think that's a 4 yr old thing

She had really thin hair for the first 2-3 years. My FIL called her dandilion fluff because that's what her hair looked like. My personal theory is that once her body was more up to speed it started putting energy into hair growth. Now it's thick and rich.
#36 of 83 Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM

Mom to an amazing 7 y/o boy, with a long and serious NICU stay. He's incredible, tall, great weight, extremely smart, thriving in school.

It is true that as school age nears you may see some different issues. We have some sensory stuff, but it's mild. We most likely have preemie teeth, which is distressing, but we'll deal with it.

I never thought it would end up being as "fine" as it all is, and I know that's not always the case. But we're grateful.
#37 of 83 Old 10-07-2009, 04:28 PM

All four of my boys were preemies (though none were micros: 36 wk, 34 wk, 32 wk and 34 wk) They are now 10, 8, almost 6 and just turned 3. All are completely healthy, developmentally-appropriate kids. The 8 yo has asthma which could be attributed to being a preemie, but I've got asthma so who knows if he just drew the short genetic straw. It really can turn out all right
#38 of 83 Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 AM

i have 3 preemies:

dd2 was 35 wks, 6lbs 5 oz, home at 21 hrs old, some lazy feeding, jaundice. she's 14 and a super genius

ds was 30 wks, pprom, 4 wks in hospital, 3lbs 6 oz 16 3/4", 35 day nicu stay. he had rds and a's & b's and came home on monitors and meds. his first 3 yrs were constant illness and dealing with asthma issues. he was delayed and hit all of his milestones late. he also had feeding and swallowing issues and was on formula until almost 3. he got PT a few times a week until he was 5. he's 11 and in the 6th grade. his new a's and b's are his grades and he enjoys playing basketball and being a normal kid. he's tall for his age and a bit above average for weight. his only lasting preemie issue is craniostenosis but it's small and keeps him from playing football (WHEW!).

my youngest was born at 35 wks, 6lbs 7.9 oz 19 1/2" and stayed in the nicu 17 days due to rds and feeding issues. so far, she's a bit slow to eat and we're working on going to the breast fulltime and leaving the pump behind! she has some genetic and blood/bone issues unrelated to her prematurity. i imagine she'll be in the super genius range before too long

oh, and the 'preemie teeth' thing is from the antibiotics and TPN given to babies in the NICU. at least, that's what our dentist said about my son. his teeth are horrible!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#39 of 83 Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM

My 2yr 8mo old dd was born at 34&6, and we brought her home 24 hours pp. She had some jaundice, but was able to stay home with a bili blanket. She had bad colic for 7 months. She had low hemoglobin in her first year or so. She grew like crazy through all of that. She was a fat baby and is a robust and active toddler. We have had no ongoing problems. She is in perfect health and excels developmentally.

My ds will be 4 weeks on Friday. He was born at 35 weeks. We brought him home 48 hours pp. He did not have jaundice or any other problems (after a scary blood sugar drop early on in the hospital). He is nursing and gaining well. He has colic too, but not as bad as his sister.

I know that 34-35 weeks is different than 29-30 weeks, but I have every reason to believe that I will continue to have two healthy children despite their rough starts. I hope the same for all of you. Blessings.
#40 of 83 Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 AM

Hi. My preemie was born at 33 weeks after an induction due to my severe pre-eclampsia.

She is 19 months old now, and completely caught up with her growth at around 9 months old. She is now in the 75th percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight (born at 4lbs 17 inches, she is now 23 lbs and 32 inches)

She eats a variety of foods, and says a variety of words both speech and sign. She walks, runs, twirls, and generally enjoys life. She doesn't seem to have any lasting effects from being born preterm. (Although, I have to look into that whole preemie teeth thing...She hasn't seen a dentist yet so I don't know...)

Anyhoo...Glad to meet you! I love to meet moms of preemies, especially moms who are survivors of pre-e.

~ Erinn ~ I believe in the power of a good conversation, a good book, a good cup of coffee, a good glass of wine, and a good nap.  Not necessarily in that order. 
#41 of 83 Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My daughter is 3.5 almost. She was a 32 weeker weighing 3lbs 13.5oz and 17.5in
She spent 3 weeks in NICU for keeping her temp up, suck-swallow-breathe, and breathing on her own. She never had cpap, just reg. flow O2.
I am proud to say at 3.5 you would never be able to tell she was preemie. We never had MAJOR setbacks, she had some speech problems, but with the help of early intervention for a year she talks non stop.
I don't forsee any problems with the future...she is completely normal and healthy.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
#42 of 83 Old 10-31-2009, 04:01 PM

My now just 5 year old boy was born at 30 weeks 3 days. His apgar was 1 (heart beating) and he spent some 50 odd days in NICU. I had severe pre-eclampsia.

He has had some cavities and some problems with hip/legs since coming home, but nothing major. He's 90 percentile for height and about 25% for weight. He nursed until he was about 4 and a half.
#43 of 83 Old 10-31-2009, 10:22 PM

My girls are now almost 3 1/2 and are doing great despite having a very rough start in life! We have really not had any struggles despite their on going health issues and food allergies. They were born at 30 weeks, 2.10 and 2.7

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#44 of 83 Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

Mine was a 35 weeker or 36 (0 day) weeker. At 30 months, she still has breathing issues. She is on the small side, but is an average 2 year old.
#45 of 83 Old 11-01-2009, 03:26 AM

My 33 weeker is VERY tall, like so tall people think he's 3 or 4, and he's a good weight for his height. He's never been sick. He was in the NICU for 3 weeks and hasn't been to the doctor apart from WBV in his life.

One thing I've noticed is he seems a little "slower" developing, but that could be DH's side (my mom tells me how early I did things - I was born at 34 weeks though and didn't get out of the NICU for a few months, was only 10 lbs at 6 months etc) He was a little slower to sit on his own, talk, crawl, and walk. But he's doing great and I don't mind the slowerness because it's not on the scary side, if that makes sense.

I'm just proud that he's never been sick. Once. Did I mention I've been sick with scary contagious crap like 10 times since he was born? My kid's immune system ROCKS

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#46 of 83 Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 AM

I feel very blessed that my preemies have done so well and love to share my story. I had severe pre-e and HELLP Syndrome with both my girls. My oldest DD was born at 28 weeks and was under 3 lbs. She was in the NICU for 3 months and did have some reflux issues during her first year but nothing that required surgery. She is almost 5 now and is smart healthy and above the 100% percentile for her height and in the 90% for her weight. My younget was born at 27 weeks and was in the NICU for 3.5 months. She did have surgery on to close her PDA valve when she was 5 days old but other than that has been healthy as a horse ever since. She is 3 and also way above average for height. Both my girls are smart, beautiful and no one ever knows they were preemies and when I tell people they are amazed. Not only that but I was also a preemie and born at 28 weeks (my Mom had severe pre-e with me). I feel like all 3 of us are miracles and I love to tell people about it! I also love hearing happy preemie stories. I know how many issues preemies can potentially face and I just feel so lucky to have two healthy kiddos.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#47 of 83 Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 PM

I haven't been around in quite some time, but my preemie, Emma, was born at 27 weeks, 2 days. So 13 weeks early. She is now 4 years old and a few months. Developmentally she seems right on track. She spent 9 weeks in the nicu, required quite a bit of OT/PT, etc. She did have a feeding tube inserted at 8 months due to severe reflux. While developmentally/cognitively she appaears to be on track, Medically she is still fragiel. She still has a feeding tube as she is failure to thrive otherwise, she is also on a host of meds, gets sick easily, tires easily, etc. She does have some genetic issues and a mitochondrial disorder though which we are now thinking CAUSED her prematurity, so it's hard to draw a line in the sand and figure out what is caused by prematurity, and what is caused by her genetic conditions. Overall though, she is doing remarkably well.
#48 of 83 Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 AM

Howdy,

(Time to come out of lurk-dom)

My first daughter was a 27 weeker born at 2.2. She was on the vent for a couple hours, then onto cpap. She quit that to be free of all breathing devices after a few weeks. She had a staph infection that lead her to isolation (due to an iv being left in her too long &$&#)%@). But 61 days after her birth, she went home and never looked back.

She's now a very awesome, fun, healthy, potty trained, talking in full sentences 4 year old little girl. Besides from being super skinny (and boy can that girl put down the food!) shes perfect. Healthy as they come! Shes not vax'ed, and I think she's had two colds in her life, which werent bad at all.

So yes, more likely than not your little one will be great!

People just want to get their childs story out there (the negative ones) and let you know what they went through...perhaps maybe it makes them feel better knowing that their child isnt the only one?
#49 of 83 Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 PM

my preemie wasn't that early or small by a long shot but she was born at 34 weeks, 4 1/2lbs after diuretics and now at almost 8 years old except for being extremely skinny (25th% for height and below the 3rd% for weight) she is fine...

But we do have close friends to our family that had a preemie 14 years ago. She didn't know she was pregnant till she went to the ER for pre-e (and was sent home twice that night) even though she had went to the doctor about 5 times for what would be common pregnancy symptoms...anyway...due to the size issues pre-e cause, they really don't know what gestation she was, but she was 1lb 2ounces and spent 95 days in the NICU... She has ADD (as did her much older and full term brother) takes medication for it, and has no issues what so ever, and hasn't since about 2 years old. Before 2 she was quite behind on milestones and sick a lot, but she caught up by 2 and is great now. She's also really really small for her family, her mom is 6'1" her dad is 6'6" and both her older brothers (they are 30 and 35 now) are 6'8"...she's only 5'4" and at 14 probably is done growing...but, yea, other than those issues, 100% fine.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#50 of 83 Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Hi My peemie is about to turn 18 years old and we have absolutely no problems with her since she got out of NICU. She was born at 29 weeks and weighed 1lb 8oz, she was ventilated for two weeks and had a lung collapse. As a toddler I had difficulty getting her to eat - anything! As she was always on the go and never unwell doc said not to bother too much. By the time she started school she was about half a stone underweight but still as bubbly. Now she is about to head off to uni and I couldn't be more proud.

Preemies are fighters, they have to be and I would say the vast majority lead trouble free lives. I know some don't but then again some full term children don't either and my heart and thoughts go out to the parents of those children.

Dont let anyone put fear into your heart or make you feel in anyway bad because our child is healthy. Enjoy this gift of life that you have been asked to guide and protect.
#51 of 83 Old 06-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Although my preemie is still in the hospital, I just wanted to say that I sympathize with your situation and totally understand what you mean. My baby girl was born at 25 weeks, 1 day and is now 33 weeks. I have found all the NICU nurses to be wonderful, but unfortunately not so much the doctors. It seems as if they dont want to give ANY hope for a completely or mostly healthy future for your baby. I know that they can't predict, and I dont expect them to, but I knew that there had to be some stories out there. My daughter, against all odds and being born at only 1 pd 15 ounces, was only on a ventialtor for a day, C-PAP for a week, and now is completely off all breathing support. If you ask me that's pretty amazing for such a little one and is against what people would normally think would happen with a baby born that early. That is because there ARE exceptions, there are wonderfully inspirational stories.

So pretty much I just want you to not give up or think that there is no hope out there. Much crazier things have happened in this world than a baby born prematurely ending up completely normal, or with minimal health issues. And if you ask me, I would MUCH rather live with hope and just be happy with the present than always worrying about whats around the corner. Life should be taken by moments, with an healthy outlook on the future. When life plans change, its beyond our control but I sure as heck do not think that I need to expect them to change before they do!

I hope you and your baby end up healthy and happy, and I hope that what I wrote can actually be made sense of. haha
#52 of 83 Old 06-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Also, I would like to add that my cousin was a preemie baby born at 26 weeks and was under 3 pounds and grew up to be a very healthy, smart young man. The only problems he had were bronchitis every fall until he was about 10 and he had to wear glasses as a youth. Nothing to big if you ask me!
#53 of 83 Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 PM

On April 29th, my twin daughters turned 1 years old and they're doing really great! They were 33 weeks when they came and I was terrified. 1 months of NICU visits and it was so difficult. I was so happy and relieved when they were ready to go home. The girls are so much fun to watch because things they do to each other are so funny and cute! I love having twins!

On the other hand, my nephew who is now 26 years old and his girlfriend had a baby past December and the baby was 5 months too early. The baby weighted 2 lbs and 4 oz and now the baby is 11 lbs but is still in hospital. I asked nephew recently for updates and he said that his son is not doing good and he does not know if the baby will ever go home. I am really worried for them and hoping for success story.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#54 of 83 Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 PM

My beautiful boy was born 34.2 weeks (premature rupture of membranes). He spent 21 days in the NICU while he grew, learned to breathe on his own, developed sucking, and regulated body temp. He was intubated and on a feeding tube. I was a wreck, my love for him kept me going and the pictures in the NICU of before and after photos of preemies gave me hope. He is now 6.5 years old and the most perfect child. He is in the 75-90th percentiles for weight and height. He "skipped" kindergarten and moved onto first grade early. He will enter 2nd grade this fall. He is a great athlete, has an amazing sense of humor, is the sweetest thing ever, and is as cute as a button. He is healthier than most of his peers (due to extended breastfeeding until he was two, handwashing, and a healthy diet). Just because our babies were born early doesn't mean they will have health or developmental issues.
#55 of 83 Old 06-19-2010, 02:02 AM

From the title of this thread I thought you might just be looking for information.
I see now that you only want a specific kind of story.

My boys are healthy, but not without their issues that I won't elaborate on here.
#56 of 83 Old 07-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Seems like a life-time ago & I have no idea why I looked this up today...but I found your post and I had the same worries as you.

I went into pre-term labor at 27 weeks. I was able to get 3 rounds of steriod shots and LOTS of mag. sulfate (yuck).

My daughter was 3.5 lbs. She had a level 3 brain bleed and we were very worried about her in the first couple of weeks (lots of prayers). Her bleed "resolved" itself so were very happy to say the least. I did worry about long-term effects.

Today, she is "gifted" in all of her studies, esp. math. Not a single sign of her permaturity or the brain bleed.

My son came through just fine too. He was on a vent for a couple of days and he did have allergy related asthma early on, but has since outgrown it.

Hope all works out for you and your family. These forums are a great resource!
#57 of 83 Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 PM

My baby was born at 33 weeks and is fine except for constipation because she refuses to eat. She is 16mo.

A friend had two preemies, each born before 30 weeks. One had some vision issues so she needed a minor outpatient surgery when she was 5 or 6. Otherwise she is in absolutely perfect health. Her other child is perfectly healthy. They are 7 and 5 now.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#58 of 83 Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 AM

Just came back on MDC after 2 1/2 years and saw this and had to respond.

My 29 weeker just turned 10 years old (!!!). Born early after a crash c/s due to abruption from a complete placenta previa.

In the NICU for 50 days - touch and go for awhile.

Now you would never know. His height and weight are normal. He has been identified as academically gifted by his school. Athletically talented and just an all-around curious, sensitive and independent kid.

We're planning our first visit back to the ICN (UCSF) soon so he can see where he was born.

Sometimes all's well that ends well...

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#59 of 83 Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 AM

hello
my name is corrina and im a student enrolled nurse and i need a hand with my presention on premature babies.
if anyone could possibly help me it would be much appreciated.
what im looking for is an mum who can tell me about their experience with their little one in NICU and how they felt about the experience.
If you are interested please contact me by my email, [email protected]

Thanks
#60 of 83 Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM

My preemies were born at 27 weeks at 2lbs 5 and 2lbs 10 ounces. We went through a LOT of challenges in the NICU, which you don't need to hear, but the outcome is that they are both healthy and happy 19 month olds. Mentally, I give them a lot of latitude on 'hitting their developmental milestones' because I am just so grateful that they are here with us. They are hitting them, though, and we're enjoying every minute of it. I'd try to stay off the negative boards and just be confident in the health you see in your children. Besides, who is to say what might be due to prematurity and what could have developed naturally? Yes, a lot can be attributed to prematurity, but you're definitely past most of that. My well known preemie pediatrician calls my boys, 'former preemies' and I like that. If anything else should arise, we'll take that as it comes. For now, we're happy with our health.

Mom to 2 healthy micro-preemies, Aubrey and Beau

Tags
Preemies The Essential Guide For Parents Of Premature Babies , Bumkins Cotton Preemie Prefold Diaper 6 Pack , Parenting Your Premature Baby And Child The Emotional Journey , What To Do When Your Baby Is Premature A Parents Handbook For Coping With High Risk Pregnancy And Ca

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page