Possible feeding issue/solutions for preemie/nicu babies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am scheduled to have a c-section thursday to deliver my twin girls at 36 weeks. I have marginal vasa previa so have to have the c and they don't want me to go much past 36 weeks. I have had steriods much earlier in the pregnancy when we worried about twin to twin transfusion. My biggest concern is feeding issues. I had no nursing issues with dd1 born at term so I don't know much about problems that might arise or what they may want me to do at the hospital. Just looking at posts here it seems there is something called human milk fortifier and something called neosure or preemie formula. What is the difference? What are the options if I need to supplement? What are legit/valid reasons to supplement if I am able to pump enough bm. Are there times when they may want to supplement that aren't legit? My problem is that as a natural minded mama (no-vax, exclusively bfed dd1....) who doesn't neccessarily trust that protocol at the hospital is always the best course I don't want to just agree to everything they want to do in the nicu just because I have preemies but I also understand that there may be legit medical reasons for me to do things that don't seem right to me.
#2 of 3 Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 PM

I didn't want my baby to have the fortifier but they talked me into it. Knowing a little more about it, I would be more adamant in my refusal.

Your babies are a little older than mine was (32 1/2 weeks) so it may not be as much of an issue for you to refuse.

My DD started spitting up and got constipated after they started adding the fortifier. The idea is that it adds calories so the baby puts on weight faster, but, I believe, that the spitting up and constipation used more calories than the fortifier added.

I don't believe the fortifier does enough good to be justified... but I'm not a medical professional.. just a mom with an opinion. I followed my instinct once I got home and didn't give her fortifier any more. She stopped spitting up and her constipation went away within a week.

Congratulations on your two little ones!

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#3 of 3 Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 PM

With 36 weekers, I would do everything you can to try to go straight to breastfeeding on-demand. If they are breathing well and able to latch on, you may be able to completely avoid bottles and fortifier.

With our 35 weeker who was 5 lb 8 oz, we went straight to breastfeeding. He was a patient and determined little guy (still is!) and he did great with just breastmilk.

With our 31 weeker who was about 3 lb 9 oz, we started with an IV/PICC line and when he was a few days old he began to get breastmilk (I was pumping like crazy!) through an NG tube. We had the NG tube placed through this nose (not mouth) as this helps to prevent oral aversions. We also started kangaroo care with "practice" breastfeeding as soon as he was stable. At about 33 weeks he began to latch on well, by 34 weeks he was getting almost all of his feeds by breast. At that point, we took out the NG tube and let the NICU give him 2 bottles a day fortified with HMF and then neosure.

HMF is only available at the hospital and neosure can be bought commercially. HMF is more concentrated than neosure and is typically used with smaller babies. There are some good reasons to fortify, especially for babies who are very small or not growing quickly.

When we went home with our little one, we went straight to exclusive breastfeeding. He has grown really well (9 months old now), but we're still dealing with anemia. We fought a lot with our docs about polyvisol, but his iron levels are still low at 9 months, so...sometimes there is a good reason to suppliment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page