pPROM moms...I need you! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-26-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been posting all over MDC about pProm and I need all the support I can get.

July 12'th I lost our daughter to pProm at 19w6days. I had pProm'ed about 72 hours beforehand. Of course, no one can say for sure why I ruptured. I did have complete previa and MW suggested that perhaps the tear was along the previa. My hospital records show massive infection all other the place, fluid, placenta, umbilical cord (2 veined) . We did not have Amelia's body tested for anything. OB thinks the infection was after rupture. I have a weird feeling that things weren't right and that the infection was before the rupture.

So, anyone other there with previous pProm...

How did your next pregnancy go? If you pProm'd past 24-26 weeks how did it go? What did you do to prevent it the next time around?

Any stories would be a big help in calming my nerves. Even if it's just a story of a friend of a friend of a friend's cousin....I'd like to know that things can go okay the next time around.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#2 of 10 Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

I had pPROM with my first DD. It occurred at 30 weeks. I was put on bedrest and ended up delivering her at 31 weeks when she stopped moving and it looked like I had an infection. The placenta was actually ok in the end.

Fast forward to DD2 - everything worked out fairly well. I did have serial ultrasounds from 26-30 weeks to check my cervical length even though they thought my cervix was fine first time around. I was also given betamethasone shots at 30 weeks because I started dilating more than my OB was comfortable with.

I delivered DD2 at 39 weeks 2 days.

I'm sorry I don't really have too much more to add - my experience occurred past the 24-26 week timeframe you were looking at.
#3 of 10 Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 PM

I told you my general story over on your thread in Birth and Beyond. Let me know if you have any questions.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#4 of 10 Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Although my water broke during labor with my 2 first kids, I had pprom with my third at 29 weeks. I had been having contractions since 13 weeks and was in the hospital on bed rest and drugs to try to prevent preterm birth when my water broke. I was able to stay pregnant 11 more days and our son Zephan was born at 31 weeks.

There were no signs of serious infection when our son was born. After the pprom, the first day it seemed like I would go into labor immediately, but with rest the contractions slowed down. I think the cause of my pprom was polyhydramnios. At 29 weeks I was measuring past 36 and my fluid levels were going up quickly every day. I think the polydramnios was related to the meds I was on. Anyway, after my water broke my contractions actually stopped for about a week and then picked up a few times before it turned into real labor. Very fast and painful labor with almost no fluid, but Zeph was born as healthy as he could be at 31 weeks. He's now a happy 9 month old.
#5 of 10 Old 08-29-2009, 03:13 AM

I am so very sorry for the loss of your daughter!

I had pPROM with DD #2, at 29 weeks. I had a very small rupture - I actually wasn't sure if I had ruptured or if I had wet myself until I went to the hospital and it was confirmed that I had ruptured. I spent a couple of days in the hospital where they did a lot of monitoring of me/baby, and I was checked for infection. My fluid levels were a bit high, but still within the normal range, my placenta was operating fine and in the "correct" place, and there was no other sign of infection. I was released home on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. I had lots of contractions over the next 9 weeks, but did not have steroid shots nor did I need to take any other medication. We were all surprised when I ended up being induced at 38 weeks (more to help my stress level then because anything was wrong with DD - and I ended up only needing to have my water broken (ultimate irony!!) to put me in to a very fast but successful labor pattern).

I went on to have a rather stressful pregnancy with DD #3, but did not have pPROM nor any preterm labor issues with her. My difficulties with her stemmed from complicated GD and issues with an ovarian cyst.

A very inspirational story is that of a friend of mine who experienced pPROM around 16 weeks. She was in the hospital for a few days, then released home on very strict bedrest. Her doctors gave her a very dark outlook (I think they said 5% or less chance of survival for her baby). It was a very long pregnancy for her, but her son is now a very healthy 3 1/2, and she carried him to term. She went on to have another very uneventful pregnancy with her DS #2 - no bedrest, no hospital stays, nothing. Docs have no idea what caused her rupture, as she did not have an infection nor any other indication of trouble.

DH 8.31.02 DD #1 1.14.03 DD #2 7.26.05 DD #3 12.7.07
#6 of 10 Old 08-29-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies!

I did have cultures done yesterday. Who knows what they will turn up, or if any infection was present before the rupture. OB said again yesterday that he thought the rupture was 1 in a million thing with no real cause. I don't know if I'd rather have that answer or a 'this caused it'. I really think that the previa had something to do with it. He did say that the next pregnancy he wants me to go to the peri as well as him and my MW. He said that he will prove to me that 'in 9 months you'll be holding a baby' with all the extra care. Here's to hoping!

Thanks again ladies!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#7 of 10 Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. That must have just been devastating.

I PPROM'd at 33 weeks with my second two pregnancies. The first one I stayed on hospital bedrest on iv fluids and antibiotics and constant fetal monitoring for 5 days and was induced at 34w1d(risk of infection vs delivering baby) and had a healthy 5lb 3oz daughter who had a relatively uncomplicated nicu stay of 11 days. She was a feeder and grower needing NG tube feeds for the first 8 days and no breathing problems. I did recieve the betamethasone shots for her lungs before the induction. She came home on an apnea monitor and kept it until 6 months old.
My second PROM baby was delivered at 33w because she wasn't handling the lack of fluid and room to move and stress well. Lots of heart decels. I never got the chance for the betamethasone shots but did recieve several hours of iv antibiotics and fluids and hospital bedrest until they delivered me. She was a hefty 4lbs 12oz. also a feeder and grower with no breathing problems and a relatively short stay of 11days like her big sister. Her nicu stay mostly involved keeping up her body temperature. No problems with apnea this time.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#8 of 10 Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Just lurking but wanted to say I'm very sorry for your loss.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#9 of 10 Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Im so sorry for the loss of yuor baby (((hugs)))

I had pPROM with my third baby (first and second babies were induced at 35 weeks and 35.5 weeks due to oligohydramnios.) It happened 2 hours after I turned 33 weeks. I went to the hospital and they checked me and I was dilated 5 cm with her feet coming through the cervix. I delivered a 4 lb 5 oz 16 in baby by c section just 3 hours after my water broke. She didnt get steroid shots and only spent 10 days in NICU. She was 3 lbs 14 ozs and healthy when she came home. The pathology from her placenta came back positive for an infection called chorioamnionitis.

With baby #4 I had pPROM at 31w 5d. I was admitted to the hospital and kept on bedrest and monitoring for 5 days. At 32w 3d I had a 3 lb 13 oz 15 in baby boy by c section. He did get the steroid shots and did amazingly well. Just 8 days later he left the NICU behind him forever weighing only 3 lbs 10 ozs. His pathology came back negative for infection but the doctor thinks I had chorioamnionitis again and all the IV antibiotics I had killed it.

While I was in the hospital with him there was a mom next to me who had pPROM at just 16 weeks. They sent her home on antibiotics and bedrest and told her if she was still pregnant at 24 weeks (viability) they would admit her. She was, and they did. She stayed on hospital bedrest for an amazing 7 weeks. The same night my son was born, hers was too. He was 31 weeks, 4 lb 1 oz and 16 in long. He spent 3 months in the NICU and had very underdeveloped lungs but he made it. He went home at 6 1/2 pounds and on oxygen.

I hope your next pregnancy has a happy ending. Good luck
#10 of 10 Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss!

I had PROM at 26 weeks. No infection, no placenta issues prior to. I was put on hospital bedrest and lasted for only 4 days before labor started and couldn't be stopped. My placenta actually delivered in pieces before (and after) my daughter was born. They tested everything they could and there was nothing that they could find.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page