not a preemie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone in here have NICU babies that were full term? My daughter was 39 weeks 4 days. spent over 2 weeks in NICU and is now disabled due to birth trauma.

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

#2 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 AM

I hope everything goes better than you expect for her!
(Saw this in new posts, and had to respond.)
#3 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't have any preemies. DD2 was actually a HB, and was born normal, little did we know that she was actually exposed at birth to pertussis. Needless to say, she was very ill for a long time. She was dependent on O2 until 7 months of age, she is now 3.5y old. She does very well considering what she went through, her lungs are damaged and it seems like it is always something with her but she is here with us.

I'm sorry to hear about your DD.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 24 Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 AM

I do right now. My DS was born five days ago at 37 weeks. He looks like a giant in there at 7 lbs next to all the preemies! The nurses are always mentioning that he's "so big", but compared to my younger DS who was over 9 and a half pounds, he doesn't seem very big to me.

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#5 of 24 Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl11 View Post
I do right now. My DS was born five days ago at 37 weeks. He looks like a giant in there at 7 lbs next to all the preemies! The nurses are always mentioning that he's "so big", but compared to my younger DS who was over 9 and a half pounds, he doesn't seem very big to me.
Ha! I know the feeling, my daughter was a 9 pounder in the NICU She was definitely giant like compared to the rest. Hope everything goes well for you. My daughter is now 13 months old-hard to beleive. She just started to sit up on her own last week. Still cannot crawl or walk and doesn't talk but she is also deaf. Can I ask what your son is in the NICU for?

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

#6 of 24 Old 05-31-2010, 02:16 AM

He has trisomy 13, which is causing problems with his heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain. They are working on weaning him off of his support so that we might be able to take him home for the rest of his time, which will probably be pretty short. We're definitely thankful for every moment we're getting to spend with him, especially because we thought we were going to lose him the other day, but he pulled through.
That's wonderful that your daughter was able to reach the sitting up milestone! I pray that she continues to make progress.

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#7 of 24 Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not currently but my first DD ended up in the NICU from 8-11 weeks do to FTT issues. She was a full term at birth baby.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#8 of 24 Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
He has trisomy 13, which is causing problems with his heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain. They are working on weaning him off of his support so that we might be able to take him home for the rest of his time, which will probably be pretty short. We're definitely thankful for every moment we're getting to spend with him, especially because we thought we were going to lose him the other day, but he pulled through.
That's wonderful that your daughter was able to reach the sitting up milestone! I pray that she continues to make progress.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I will be praying for you that you get more time with your little one. Hopefully you will be able to go home soon and enjoy your time together..

#9 of 24 Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not at the moment, but dd2 was born at 41w3d and spent 2 weeks in the NICU. She had a massive stroke in utero and had severe brain damage at birth. I agree, she looked so huge compared to the other babies, most of whom were preemies. She'll be 5 years old next month.
#10 of 24 Old 05-31-2010, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD was born at 37 weeks and is technically not considered a preemie. She had a rough birth. She was nonresponsive and gray at birth. It was touch and go when she was born. One of the nurses told me later on she didn't think DD was going to make it. I remember looking at her in the isolette in the NICU and being shocked at how much bigger she was than the other babies there. DD was in the NICU for several days, but came home with me when I was discharged from the hospital after my c-section.

She's doing fine today. She has some issues with attention and focus, but is a joy to have around.

I hope your daughter continues to make progress.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#11 of 24 Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM

My first was born at 38 weeks, and weighed over 9lbs, but was in the NICU due to a difficult birth. He was a vacuum extraction after decels during pushing, and suspected chorioamnioitis. He looked GIANT in the NICU!! Thankfully he wasn't there long, and hasn't had any lasting issues (except some sensory stuff and behavioral issues, but those have been largely controlled with diet changes. No idea if they're connected to the vacuum or not).

My second was born at 38+5 and spent time in the "transitional nursery" (no NICU where I delivered) due to breathing issues, then a few weeks later was re-admitted to the med-surg ward of Children's due to FTT. He has been in and out of the hospital several times for illnesses, testing, and surgeries. He has a chromosome deletion.

My third, thankfully, is big and strong and healthy!

I'll be anxiously watching for an update on her CI surgery!!! Do you have a blog?

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#12 of 24 Old 06-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdirks View Post
Ha! I know the feeling, my daughter was a 9 pounder in the NICU She was definitely giant like compared to the rest. Hope everything goes well for you. My daughter is now 13 months old-hard to beleive. She just started to sit up on her own last week. Still cannot crawl or walk and doesn't talk but she is also deaf. Can I ask what your son is in the NICU for?
Quote:
I'l keep you both in my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
My first was born at 38 weeks, and weighed over 9lbs, but was in the NICU due to a difficult birth. He was a vacuum extraction after decels during pushing, and suspected chorioamnioitis. He looked GIANT in the NICU!! Thankfully he wasn't there long, and hasn't had any lasting issues (except some sensory stuff and behavioral issues, but those have been largely controlled with diet changes. No idea if they're connected to the vacuum or not).
DD was full term (40wk+2days) but landed herself in the NICU for 3 weeks after a very rough birth/suspected infection/refusing to eat/suspected NEC/gastro issues. Now at 15 mos., we've also experienced some sensory and behavioral issues that I believe might be tied to her traumatic birth, as well as some hearing/speech issues that are probably not. It was actually hard being there with all of the preemies and babies that seemed sick. I felt guilty for making a big deal over my almost 7 lb. baby in a regular crib, who shared a nurse with a 26 wk gestation triplet in an isolette.

#13 of 24 Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post

My second was born at 38+5 and spent time in the "transitional nursery" (no NICU where I delivered) due to breathing issues, then a few weeks later was re-admitted to the med-surg ward of Children's due to FTT. He has been in and out of the hospital several times for illnesses, testing, and surgeries. He has a chromosome deletion.

My third, thankfully, is big and strong and healthy!

I'll be anxiously watching for an update on her CI surgery!!! Do you have a blog?
No, I don't have a blog yet. Maybe I should start one! We had her pre-op appointment today and all was well so Friday is the big day

#14 of 24 Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 AM

I had a full-term, 8#10 oz baby in NICU for 2 weeks. She was born at 41+2. she was the 2nd largest baby in there for a good while (got topped by a 12 lb newborn from a GD mom). She was actually used in a commercial for the hospital....

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#15 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My daughter was born at 37 weeks even, had a week-long NICU stay due to massive blood loss at birth. She also had respiratory distress. I overheard one of the nurses complaining to the attending about having to put an IV in her because she was "a big fat baby." At 6 lbs, 1 ounce she did look huge compared to her neighbors, but tiny compared to the babies in the newborn nursery I'd see through a window walking back to my room. I was so scared for her I don't think I ever felt any guilt about the nurses' attention or anything like that.

She's nearly 3-1/2 and is fine.
#16 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 AM

My dd2 was born at 38+2 and was in the NICU for 5 days for hypoglycemia and polycythemia. She was 10 lbs 6 oz so she looked ENORMOUS next to the other babies! We heard the same thing about drawing blood and how it's tougher because of the fat rolls.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#17 of 24 Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM

My DD, who is now almost 3, was born at 41w+6d and spent a week in the special care nursery so she could get antibiotics for meconium aspiration. She spent the first day in an oxygen tent, and then was just in an open bassinet with IV's. She was 8 pounds 1 ounce, so she did look pretty big in there, but it wasn't a high-risk NICU, so most of the babies were on the bigger side anyway.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#18 of 24 Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 AM

40+5 full term-er here! Dd2 had a heart defect and it made her not process water as well as she should so she was a (VERY) swollen 11.5 lbs!!! Her neighbor was 1lb5oz. it was crazy.

wife. dd1 : dd2
#19 of 24 Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 PM

My daughter was born at 40 weeks, and was in the NICU for 6 weeks. She had a heart lung bypass (ECMO) due to meconium asperation due to birth trauma. She was delievered via "emergency" (he sure took his time for an emergency ) c-section after a violent failed forceps delievery. My daughter is also deaf due to the trauma-NICU-oxygen deprivation. She has a CI as well.

By the time we left the NICU she was well over 10 lbs, and we had babies as little as 23 weeks! It was crazy. People would walk by and mutter "What's wrong with that baby!". Hey, that's the size a healthy newborn is!
#20 of 24 Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM

Oh this is neat to find other moms on the crunchy side who have had babies in the NICU! My son was a CPM delivery at a birthings suite; full term, 7 lbs. 5 oz. He was born with spina bifida myelomeningocele (opted out of u/s so it was a surprise) and was in the NICU for two weeks for surgery on his back and placement of a shunt. He is five months old now and very healthy and above average developmentally. He has use of both legs and feet since seeing a pediatric chiropractor and normal urinary function. He is our little miracle!

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#21 of 24 Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairejour View Post
My daughter was born at 40 weeks, and was in the NICU for 6 weeks. She had a heart lung bypass (ECMO) due to meconium asperation due to birth trauma. She was delievered via "emergency" (he sure took his time for an emergency ) c-section after a violent failed forceps delievery. My daughter is also deaf due to the trauma-NICU-oxygen deprivation. She has a CI as well.

By the time we left the NICU she was well over 10 lbs, and we had babies as little as 23 weeks! It was crazy. People would walk by and mutter "What's wrong with that baby!". Hey, that's the size a healthy newborn is!
Lani is deaf because of the vacuum and doctors mistakes as well. We beleive this is what is causing all of her developmental delays and brain abnormalities. I didn't realize this was the reason Miss Kat is deaf as well!

#22 of 24 Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 AM

My youngest was in the NICU for 2weeks. She was born at 40weeks+4days. We had a quick vaginal delivery but she suffered meconium aspiration. She went home on oxygen, which she needed for 2mo. She was born 6lb3oz and the biggest baby in NICU! She's now 13 months and so far so good
#23 of 24 Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 PM

My oldest spent 1 night in the NICU for observation - the doctors could not belive that my son had made it - and looked (and still apears to be mostly) unaffected by a full placential abruption and no fresh blood for 10 minuts (delivery by crash c/s, full general in a hurry) he was huge at 8lb 2oz
My youngest was in NICU a week for breathing, fluid on the lungs, poor intake, temp control, apnea, and in need of deep suctioning on a regualar basis - I have no idea why they even sent her home when they did - know what we know now, she should have stayed, she is a miricle. She was big at 6lb 13oz at 35.5 weeks - born with a cleft palate, pierree robin syndrome and a host of other "stuff" that didn't get diagnosed at birth - wrote off as "premie issues"
#24 of 24 Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 PM

My ds was in the NICU at 40 weeks.

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page