Any preemies with sensory issues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
X Posted in Special Needs

I have a 12 mo old born at 35.5 wks. He spent almost 3 wks in the NICU due to needing the lowest dose of O2 and feeding issues.

He did start PT once a week when he was 5 mo old (chron age) for 3 months because he was behind in head control and rolling over (I think mainly due to me holding him while laying down all the time and hating tummy time) However, in his particular situation, nothing was gained by the PT and it was a waste of time and money, so we pulled him out. He would cry the entire hour and there was little to nothing the PT could do with him or to properly evaluate him. He just didn't like being there and being handled by a stranger. Even a sub PT had the same issue. In any event, he caught up very quickly though, which DH and I thought would happen in due time.

The PT always thought he had sensory issues. I did some googling of it and found out some of the symptoms are hating to have their teeth brushed/wiped and having their face wiped. Check, check to both. He also has been very slow to accept foods with significant texture and definitely is not ready for finger foods. He is making progress though, as he will feed himself lentils and small fruit chunks. So, again, I think he will catch up.

That said, I want to make sure that I'm not setting him up for any unforeseen issues in case he does have sensory issues.

I'm curious to know what treatments are done for sensory issues like those mentioned above if any of you have had treatment for your LO, and what sensory issues you LO exhibited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might want to ask this question on the Special Needs Board.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Although my preemies (now 3 years and 18 months) do not not have sensory issues, I know a lot of other preemie moms and sensory issues are very, very common.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:10 PM

My 28-weeker (who is now 4) has tons of sensory issues. Does your state have a version Early Childhood Intervention that can evaluate and provide therapy?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just contacted EI in my state, so am waiting for the follow up call from their assigned coordinator.

I don't think his sensory issues are major, but am worried that if they are not "nipped in the bud" now, so to speak, there could be long term consequences.

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:02 PM

OP just wanted to chime in that my DD (17 mos) does have sensory issues, even though she was full term. I attribute them to her difficult birth and 3+ weeks in the NICU. I hope that you'll seek out an OT evaluation. It could make a difference.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Our FD was a 26 weeker who has some major sensory stuff. She's came along way though. Certainly have him assessed but if you feel he is making progress I would research what sensory therapy would best serve YOUR child.

We do Welbarger brushing (which we love). FD is g-tube a HORRIBLE experience with Beckman (oral-motor) for DD bad oral aversions, too pushy IMHO, now that we are doing play-based, self-led and modeled therapy we are making SLOW but sure progress.

User Tag List