Any mamas of micropreemies want to share their stories? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ive posted here before, as I already ahve 3 former preemies.. a 35 weeker, a 34 weeker, and a 32 weeker. But I am expecting baby #4 and am currently 24 weeks 1 day. I'm in the hospital for preterm labor and on magnesium sulfate and terbutaline and have already been here for 2 weeks now.

Long story short, we don't know how long this little guy is going to hold out and Im trying to prepare myself as much as I can for what lies ahead. Given my history and the fact that I started having issues a full 2.5 weeks ealrier this time around, its most likely that this baby will be here earlier than my last (which made it to 32 weeks 1 day).. unfortunately each one of my pregnancies has ended earlier than the next.

I talked with the neonatologist today but it would also be nice to here from Moms who have been there.. Thanks in advance.
#2 of 5 Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM

There are a couple of things I can tell you.

One is that I see it's been a while since you posted. This site is much more active and people would likely respond much more quickly there:
http://www.inspire.com/groups/preemie/discussions/

Second, as the mother of a 26-weeker who was IUGR and is now 5, I have found that every baby is different. If youa re getting closer to 26-27 weeks that should help a lot. I hope the medications aren't too horrible and that you are still pregnant. Best wishes!
#3 of 5 Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 AM

For starters...I'm hoping the baby is still put!

My daughter was born at 27 weeks on April 21, we were released on July 6. I have seen 24 weekers make it & be fine, and I have seen 32-35 weekers not make it. It is all dependent upon your baby. Each baby is different and you can NOT compare. I will say to prepare yourself as best you can because your baby will likely need intubation, a feeding tube, etc. and that combined with early birth can bring more issues -- pneumonia, brain hemorrhage, etc.

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009
#4 of 5 Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 PM

my micro was born in 2006, at almost 26 weeks and weighing in at a whopping 1lb 14oz. It was tough. It was really tough the hardest thing I have ever gone through. So much is up in the air with the little ones. But, I am thrilled to say he is a loud obnoxious 3 year old now. He is a little delayed in some things, and he has high functioning autism. The autism is not seeming to be related to the prematurity though, my older son is being screened now and seems to be on the spectrum as well, he was full term.

The main advice I can give you is to hang on tight and ADVOCATE for your baby. PM be if you want any of the specifics
#5 of 5 Old 07-25-2010, 12:18 PM

I'm praying your babe is still safe in her cozy womb!

I've been fostering/adopt preemies for two years now, and have a special needs bio daughter.

Expect intabation, there will probably be times when it feels like a roller coaster. Possible NEC, PDA, Brain hemmorage, global developmental delay, ect.

Pump like crazy (you probably know that!), bond however you can, and advocate for your child- don't let the nurses/therapist/doctors assume you don't know your child.

Current foster daughter was a 26weeker. 1lb 8oz with 6 and 7 APGAR. Addicted to cocaine.

I've always agreed that outcomes typically follow the racial/gender lines working in the NICU... "wimpy white boys" and so forth.

That said, our FD is AA and 16 months old and still on oxygen and is solely g-tube dependant. Her first year was always 1 step forward and 2 back. But looking back- despite the mini-hosptal that she is bound to she has lived a very full happy, busy time. She's had 12 (count 'em, 12!!) CT scans with NO brain damage. We have high hopes for her once the BPD settles down.

My best advice is advocate for your child to be in a NICU that is in the forefront for your region/state and has follow-up clinics. I can't tell you how much it helps for a ex-micro to have continuity in care by a dr who has seen them from the start.

In my region, I try to avoid PEDIATRIX owned NICU's like the plague. Horrible clincal management and discharge services, kids get miss services all the time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page