Baby in NICU, having bf trouble - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-14-2004, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son was born at home on Monday and was transported to the NICU due to aspirating meconium and blood on the way out. That night, he had "seizure-like activity" and they gave him a loading dose of phenolbarbitol (sp?) which really whacked him out for a few days. He had an IV for the first three days, then they had me try bfing, but would feed him through a gastro tube in his nose when it didn't work (he wouldn't latch on--too sleepy or too upset). He was on an every 3 hour schedule Thursday and Friday where I had 30 min to get him to feed before they'd hook up his nose tube. I've been pumping throughout all of this (he's only gotten formula for 2 or 3 feedings, yay!) and my supply is more than keeping up with him. As of yesterday (Sat), we were taken off the clock, so long as he ate at least every 4 hours. He still gets sleepy at the breast, or munches my nipple. Mostly, he seems to be missing the "swallow" part of suck, swallow, breathe. He didn't pee enough with mostly breast feedings yesterday, so we're cup feeding him some today so he can be released.

Any help for how to convince him that my nipple is his friend would be appreciated.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#2 of 6 Old 03-14-2004, 06:48 PM

Have you seen a lactation consultant with the initials IBCLC?

Have you talked to a La Leche League leader?
http://www.lalecheleague.org

Have you taken a tour of
http://www.kellymom.com
?
Sleepy babies:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ns.html#sleepy

You can search for any bf topic at kellymom, such as "sleepy baby" or "cup feeding" etc.

Have you tried posting questions at the boards at
http://www.breastfeeding.com
?

I am concerned about the advice to only nurse "at least every four hours" if that is the average...that would mean about 6 feedings in 24 hours, and although every baby is different, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a new baby nurse about 8 to 12 times in 24 hours.
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...ics;100/6/1035
Quote:
Newborns should be nursed approximately 8 to 12 times every 24 hours until satiety...In the early weeks after birth, nondemanding babies should be aroused to feed if 4 hours have elapsed since the last nursing.
Good luck, please keep us posted!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#3 of 6 Old 03-14-2004, 09:00 PM

My aunt, who is an IBCLC, passes on this information:

She suggests touching his chin with your breast before putting your nipple into his mouth. There is suggestion in research that the touch on the chin is what encourages a baby to open his mouth.

She also suggests lots of skin-to-skin contact, and that you take a bath with him.

Give me a call and I'll come help all I can. I also have a name to call in town here, so if you need that, we can get you set up.

No, I think I'll give you a call. talk to you in a bit.
#4 of 6 Old 03-14-2004, 10:01 PM

I don't have any advice, but my homeborn dd was transsferred to the ICN of a university hospital for meconium aspiration, also. She spent a total of three weeks in the hospital, and after one week of having only IV fluids, and another week of with the bottle/NG tube feedings, she was able to start nursing in her third week and continued nursing successfully until she was 2 1/2 yrs old. You have some good advice and support here- I hoep the latcation consultant can be of help to you. If the baby is still needing the NG tube, maybe they can leave it in instead of putting it in and out all the time? Godo luck to you and your babe, mama!
#5 of 6 Old 03-14-2004, 10:15 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy! I hope this is all behind you quickly. It certainly sounds like you are on the right track (thank goodness you're a good pumper too!!).

There are 2 great threads here that deal with this exact issue. There is wonderful information in each of them...

Pumping and BFing Babies in the NICU

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=107581

Nursing Sick & Preemie Babies

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=48223

Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2004, 07:51 PM

Phenobaritol SUCKS!! Is he still on it? ds was on it for the first 9 months of his life. For the first week he was too sleepy to nurse too. I bottle fed him in the nicu (because of an Nazi nurse), then as soon as we got home, he was only given the breast. Once we figured out how to latch, we were great for a LONG time.

However, the first while can be tough. Even if you continue to tube him, you can still nurse him later. The pheno makes him very sleepy. It takes a while to get used to it.

Get ahold of the lll group close to you and call the leader. They can arrange to get you some good help. THe earlier you get help, the better!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page