weight question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter was around 16 1/2 lbs at her 9 month check up (7 1/2 months adjusted). She had JUST started crawling a couple of days before that and is now almost 10 months old and not only crawling everywhere like crazy, but is also now pulling herself up and cruising the furniture and I weighed her yesterday and she is now only 15 lbs! I was wondering if any other babies lost weight as they became mobile or if they stayed the same or gained weight. She eats 2-3 meals a day (depending on if she really wants it) and a few healthy snack and is still breastfed every 3-4 hours.

I just dont know if I should worry and call her pedi and let him know or if I should wait it out until her 12 month check up that is in two months.... and see how her weight is then.

What happened with your preemies when they became mobile?

(sorry if I posted this in the wrong place... I suck at finding the right place to post these things...)
#2 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM

Mine is almost 9 months (~6 months adjusted) and almost crawling, so no advice on that.
But, what scale did you use. Adult scales really dont get the correct weight down to the lb that the baby scales do. Plus the scale you use may be a lb or 2 off what the dr's office scale uses.

In my non-medical opinion-she sounds fine!
#3 of 8 Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverandJulie View Post
Mine is almost 9 months (~6 months adjusted) and almost crawling, so no advice on that.
But, what scale did you use. Adult scales really dont get the correct weight down to the lb that the baby scales do. Plus the scale you use may be a lb or 2 off what the dr's office scale uses.

In my non-medical opinion-she sounds fine!
Thanks for replying I have been using the scale to weigh myself and her and then just me to get her weight on our scale since she was born and it has always been right on the exact lb that she is at when the Dr weighs her so IDK lol.
#4 of 8 Old 09-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsV88 View Post
Thanks for replying I have been using the scale to weigh myself and her and then just me to get her weight on our scale since she was born and it has always been right on the exact lb that she is at when the Dr weighs her so IDK lol.
Term babies do the same thing, so don't worry unless she continues to lose weight. My micro preemies' weight stagnated and sometimes dipped when they gained new physical skills. Expect her to begin gaining again once she's mastered the skill. I had to start adding snacks mid-morning and mid afternoon at that age as well. Preemies can never get enough to eat!

Mom to 2 healthy micro-preemies, Aubrey and Beau
#5 of 8 Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsV88 View Post
My daughter was around 16 1/2 lbs at her 9 month check up (7 1/2 months adjusted). She had JUST started crawling a couple of days before that and is now almost 10 months old and not only crawling everywhere like crazy, but is also now pulling herself up and cruising the furniture and I weighed her yesterday and she is now only 15 lbs! I was wondering if any other babies lost weight as they became mobile or if they stayed the same or gained weight. She eats 2-3 meals a day (depending on if she really wants it) and a few healthy snack and is still breastfed every 3-4 hours.

I just dont know if I should worry and call her pedi and let him know or if I should wait it out until her 12 month check up that is in two months.... and see how her weight is then.

What happened with your preemies when they became mobile?

(sorry if I posted this in the wrong place... I suck at finding the right place to post these things...)
All 4 of my kids lost weight during their first year of life...some of them frequently, some of them only once... Between 12 months old and 18 months old Janelle lost 2lbs and took until 2 years old to gain it back, so she was 17lbs at both 1 year old and 2 years old...but it didn't correlate with becoming mobile...she started walking at 8 months old! River lost a lot of weight for how tiny he already was between 1 year old (13lbs 10oz or something like that) and 13 months old (12lbs 15oz) and ended up hospitalized because of it...those were my 2 "preemies"...both are fine and healthy now, though River does have a genetic condition and will be receiving growth hormone therapy in the future, Janelle just turned 8 is 43lbs and about 48.5", so she is still definitely small, but growing just fine. River is 16 months old and just under 15lbs and just under 26".

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#6 of 8 Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

thank you ladies for replying I braved the scale once more and she is now up to around 17 lbs (she is 10 1/2 months old - 9 months adjusted) I am so happy! lol.
#7 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 AM

My son was at 17lbs at one year and I was always SUPER stressed out about (being told he was in the 1-4%), but then a doctor found a preemie scale and started charting him on that. On the new scale he shot up to 25%! So silly that I was so stressed for the first 6 months of his life. I just try to feed rich fatty foods- my son eats avacado and LOTs of fat every day. Beyond putting out the right foods and bfing on demand, I have given in to trusting him. If you are worried, focus on fatty foods (bacon, avacado, lots of oils, coconut milk). I think she sounds fine
#8 of 8 Old 09-19-2010, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhope View Post
My son was at 17lbs at one year and I was always SUPER stressed out about (being told he was in the 1-4%), but then a doctor found a preemie scale and started charting him on that. On the new scale he shot up to 25%! So silly that I was so stressed for the first 6 months of his life. I just try to feed rich fatty foods- my son eats avacado and LOTs of fat every day. Beyond putting out the right foods and bfing on demand, I have given in to trusting him. If you are worried, focus on fatty foods (bacon, avacado, lots of oils, coconut milk). I think she sounds fine
thank you

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page