Home with our little gal - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all
I thought I would post here for some support, our little girl was born September 7th, though not due till October 10th. She is doing amazing, didnt ever really need much in hospital other then some oxygen and NG tube for feeding. She was born 5lbs 10 ounces, which I suppose isnt that bad for a preemie. Were home now, and trying to cope with life with a newborn, never mind a smaller then expected newborn.
I am a mom of 5, and must admit to having zero confidence with this one. I think its because shes so small, I am constantly worried that she isnt ok. I think the thing I worry about most is breastfeeding. She was having top ups in the hospital but as soon as we got home she refused the bottle and has been exclusively breastfed, as were all my other children, but with her I worry. She only nurses in 5-20 min stretches depending, so of course I am wondering if shes getting enough. Shes eating ever 2-3 hours and Her diapers say she is, but...argh...anyone else having problems with confidence with their at home preemie?

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#2 of 4 Old 09-20-2010, 04:04 PM

My child was born the 10th, she was 5lb9oz.
The breastfeeding thing was the same for me...she drank colostrum no problem but then my real milk was harder for her. She only drinks a little at a time and won't usually switch sides, but she is gaining weight and wetting diapers, so she must be fine. I just have to be patient with her and not expect nursing to totally make sense.
It is really hard to have such a small baby. I saw the other babies at the hospital, mine was the smallest, and I felt so bad that I hadn't grown her bigger. This is my first child so it is really stressful having a tiny shrimp who seems so fragile. But, I have been reassured by lots of nurses that she is strong and healthy, despite everything, and yours sounds like she is too. It's just strange when they are smaller than a modest-sized cat.
I also feel weirdly guilty about how small she is, as though it were my fault somehow. Hopefully you're not putting that on yourself, too!
TW
#3 of 4 Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

hugs
I am totally and 100% putting it on myself. I feel as if I had done something wrong for her to come so early and be so little. i am trying to be easy with myself...but hugs mama i know how you feel

on a good note she was weighed today and is 6lbs!! in 13 days she went from 5,10 to 5 ,3 to 5.6 and now 6lbs

Unschooling Crunchy Mama of 5 babies. Welcome Emily-Rose born September 7th 2010!
#4 of 4 Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM

You're doing great, Mama. Preemies do feel so different (my third was the preemie). I'm so glad breastfeeding is going well for you--wet diapers and weight gain! YAY! Hugs to you. I always felt I was lucky that the preemie came after my two full-termers; I was able to give this tiny little one the benefit of my experience.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page