Ped doing bone mineralization blood tests - is this necessary? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our dr is ordering this bone mineralization test, which is a blood test to see whether my babies' bones are "laying down" properly. She wants us to do it every month. I don't want to have to have the babies go through giving blood monthly! It's awful! We've done the test once and I don't want to do it again. Is this test really that important? Can I respectfully decline it?

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#2 of 4 Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 AM

I'd be interested in knowing more about your situation. What gestation were your babies born at? What were their weights/lenths? How long were they in the NICU and what sorts of issues did they have? Have they been healthy and growing since they came home?

I can say that I never had any such tests with my babies, but my babies were not micropreemies and didn't really have many preemie related issues. If yours were late preemies without major issues than it doesn't seem like there's much point to that kind of testing, but I don't really know anything about your situation to be able to say that.

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
#3 of 4 Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM

As the previous poster said, without knowing more of the history, it's hard to say if it's necessary or not. FWIW, my girls were born at 29 weeks. Because the majority of bone mineralization occurs during the 3rd trimester, one of the neonatalogists (in our NICU they rotate every 2 weeks) advised us to either supplement with Neosure for 1 feeding a day or to do the tests. I chose to do the tests. They weren't every month, though. I remember going twice, a few months apart.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#4 of 4 Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies, and sorry for the cryptic message. The boys were born at 30 + 5, 3.2 and 3.5 lbs, 16.5" each. Stayed in the NICU for 6 weeks with no major issues. Were on cpap for one day, nasal cannula for one day, then spent the rest of the time learning to eat and not have spells. They've been healthy and growing fabulously since they came home. I just hate to have them give blood! But since you had to do the tests with your 29 weekers it probably is legit.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page