17P (progesterone) shots? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone else done these, to reduce their chances of another preterm birth?  I'm 17 weeks pregnant; my son was born in his 34th week (PPROM) so I'm considered high risk for another early birth.  And although he's fine now I am, frankly, terrified of that happening again this time around.

I start the shots this week and I'm looking for advice, community, etc. What sort of side effects did you have?  Did you manage to carry to term?  What were the shots themselves like? 

Many thanks.

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 50 Old 03-11-2011, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Update:  the cost of these shots is about to skyrocket.  There's a good article about it here:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=134400300.  If you're using them, it may be worth trying to order the rest that you need today before the price spike. 

#3 of 50 Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM

My first son was born at 29 weeks due to PPROM at 28 weeks so this time around I was on the P17 injections starting at 16 weeks and home bed rest starting at 27 weeks. However two days after my 31 week injection I had PPROM again. Made it until 32 weeks. Spent 3 weeks in the NICU and just got home a few days ago. So for me it didn't seem to help a whole lot but maybe it did keep him cooking for the additional 3 weeks....I don't know. However, I didn't have any contractions and my cervix was completely closed so at least IC and preterm labor were ruled out......so I guess at least we learned that I just make really bad amniotic sacs.

Anyhow - regarding the injections themselves I had no major side effects. I was a little sore for a day or two afterwards...like a minor bruise or something. I also seemed a bit more emotional for a few days afterwards but it wasn't that bad. I had to go to the clinc every week to get mine but I've heard that many women are able to give them to themselves or have someone give them to them at home. To me the actual injection felt like a hard pinch but I've got a lot of extra padding so I think it helped! My insurance covered the majority of the cost.

Good luck to you!!!

Katie, wife to big TNT, momma to DS1 born @ 29 weeks on Leap Day 2008 and DS2 born @ 32 weeks on Feb 16th!
#4 of 50 Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Found out about the price spike too late (3/11 at 8pm) and now if my insurance company doesn't grant the appeal I submitted from my doctors, I will have to stop the shots at 25 weeks.  Freaking out a bit.  If you can get the shots covered by your insurance (United Healthcare is not covering it anymore), then I would take them.  I ice my bottom for 5min before hand and massage vigorously after for a few minutes and everytime it starts to hurt.  So much better then I thought they would be.  I had a 34wkr too who was in the NICU for 3 wks.  Don't want a repeat, but looks like I am going to have to play the odds.  Very frustrated right now with the whole situation.

#5 of 50 Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Katie, I'm glad you're home with your baby now, and thanks for the advice about the shots.  How disappointing (to put it mildly) that they didn't get you to full term.  I know there's less research into 17P preventing PPROM, which makes me nervous too.  I hope you and your new one have an easy time settling in at home.

Samhope, try this link:  http://makena.com/pages/hcp/care-connection/financial-assistance.aspx.  The company is saying they'll help anyone pay for the prescription, so it may be worth a try.  I've also heard that compounding pharmacies may be able to keep making the cheap stuff, by changing the oil they use or otherwise tweaking the inactive ingredients.  All the best to you-- it would be criminal for the new pharma company to make you stop getting the shots.  Let me know how it turns out for you?

I've had about a month of the shots at this point, and no real side effects.  I was prepared for WAY worse, frankly.  We were able to stockpile enough of the cheap shots that I'm set through my pregnancy.  Now I just have to pray that they work.

#6 of 50 Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM

My doctor suggested those shots to me too at my last appt. I oppted out because I didn't PrePROM untill 35.5 and had a totally healthy, uncomplicated pregnency up till then. Also, while DS did spend 1 week in the NICU due to labored breathing, he has been totally healthy, happy and developmentally on track since we brought him home. I just felt that in my situation, everyone being so healthy, that throwing a drug into the mix was not necessary. I like to keep drugs out of my system unless they are really needed.

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I again keep the bun in the oven until after 34 weeks. Of course, life being what it is, I'll probably go into labor 2 weeks late!

Married to a wonderful hubby 10/05. Luckiest Mom to a beautiful "baby boo" 5/28/09.
#7 of 50 Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Samhope, it looks like compounding pharmacies are going to still be allowed to make 17P shots after all:  http://www.latimes.com/health/la-na-fda-drug-price-20110331,0,992096.story  It's worth asking, if you're still looking for the shots!

Nightskies, thanks for your input.  My midwife said the shot is just progesterone, a normal hormone that I don't make enough of, and can't hurt the baby.  That tipped the scales for me and I decided to go for it.  All the best to you this pregnancy, and may be both go full term with big healthy babies.  orngbiggrin.gif

#8 of 50 Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM

I heard about it yesterday:)  I already got my drugs in the mail, but am so relieved for the other mamas out there who are affected!

#9 of 50 Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, good, samhope, I'm relieved to hear it!  I'm looking forward to hearing about your full-term birth later this year.  :)

#10 of 50 Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Ditto!!  The b-h contractions have started again which is a little scary, but otherwise all is good on my end:)  Here's to 36 wks+

#11 of 50 Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM

After delivering my first child at 27 weeks, my doctor and I have started planning for my next pregnancy (fingers crossed) and part of our plan includes putting me on progesterone shots at 16 weeks.  I have to say, I was heartbroken when I read this thread a few weeks ago, knowing that we wouldn't qualify for assistance AND wouldn't be able to afford the higher priced drugs.  Needless to say, I am ecstatic that it looks like there may be a more reasonable option.  Thanks to all of you currently on the hormone for posting, I look forward to hearing more about your experiences.

#12 of 50 Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM

I had the shots in my pregnancy this last time.  I had my first dd at 36 weeks after PPROM and my second at 33 weeks after PPROM.  This time around I was able to go 37 weeks 2 days (9 days after my last p-17 shot.)  I did have ROM to begin labor, but I'm glad I made it as long as I did and I think it was in large part due to the shots.

#13 of 50 Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 PM

I had my first DS 3 years ago at 28 weeks after 10 days spent in antipartum after PROM at 27 weeks and had weekly 17P injections with next pregnancy and still had my DD at 25 weeks due to placental abruption two weeks ago.

Hope you, ladies, will last much much longer in your current/next pregnancies!

#14 of 50 Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Lousli, I'm hoping for an outcome like yours!  My last shot will be at 36w3d, and I have a hunch I'll deliver by 38 weeks.  I need to be 36 weeks to avoid delivering at the high-risk hospital, but I really, really want to go full term.  I'm sure you know how that is.  The later I get in this pregnancy, the more I worry about early labor.  Among other things, I'm determined to get our nursery set up and everything else squared away by 28 weeks.  I want time to sit around and wait, this time!

Olya_yurk, I'm sorry the shots didn't work for you.  25 weeks is so early.  How is your DD now?  How are you holding up?

CGsMom, good luck with the TTC!  I'm thrilled that you'll be able to get the 17P you'll need, despite the dumb new company making it.  In terms of my experience with the shots so far, I've had next to no side effects.  I think I'm hungrier than I was with my last pregnancy, but that may also be because I'm mom to a very energetic toddler.  I've had some itching and/or soreness at the injection site but nothing consistent.  It seems to depend entirely on who gives the shot.  When a midwife does it, no problems at all.  When one of the nurses does it, it usually hurts more and/or itches.  I therefore aim for having a midwife do it, and now that I've started FFN testing it looks like I'll be seeing the midwives at least every other week.  (On the upside, less painful shots.  On the downside, vaginal swabs.  Ah, pregnancy.)

Samhope, I hear you on the BH.  They scare the *&^% out of me.  I had them a lot right before my water broke, and now I get them every time I'm remotely active.  My midwives don't seem too concerned, but I'm definitely less active as a result of them.  I mean, what if they're actually the result of an infection I don't realize I have?  What if they're actually dilating my cervix?  Not fun.  I hope you're having a less worrisome time.  When are you due?  I think we're pretty close-- I'm due mid-July.

#15 of 50 Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 AM

I too hope that other moms will be able to carry their babies much longer than I did.

My DD is 4 weeks old today (29 weeks adjusted) . She is currently stable, some days are better than others. I'm holding up well, trying to think positively.

#16 of 50 Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hugs to you, olya_yurk.  I'm so glad your daughter is stable now.  I hear you on the good and bad days, though.  I know you have a long, roller-coaster road ahead of you-- I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.  Keep us updated as you have the time.

#17 of 50 Old 04-22-2011, 12:32 PM

olya_yurk, so glad to hear she is stable.  Hope you are balancing life with toddler and the nicu the best you can.  I am sure it must be demanding.  Hugs!  Fingers crossed that they are giving you good snuggle time with your little one and that she keeps progressing:)  Congrats and stay strong.  Blessings to your family.

#18 of 50 Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Thank you, ladies! Thankfully, my DH and my parents are helping with my 3 y.o., so I can spend more time at the hospital with my DD. We do kangaroo care almost every day with her, whenever she is stable for that. Both of us love every minute of it, of course. She will turn 5 weeks/30 weeks gestational tomorrow and doing very well most days.

#19 of 50 Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Olya_yurk, thinking of you and your DD.  Hope everything is going okay.

#20 of 50 Old 05-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Thank you! We had a couple of bad days this week, but she is much better after another blood transfusion.

Happy Mother's Day, ladies!

#21 of 50 Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Olya_yurk, wishing you many more calm stable days to come:)  Hope you got a little bit of time to take care of you and keep your well full. 

#22 of 50 Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Thank you so much for your thoughts and wishes!

#23 of 50 Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Olya_yurk, still thinking of you.  I hope you're all doing okay at this point.

I'm 34 weeks today-- this is the day when my water broke with my son during my last pregnancy.  I'm really feeling it today-- I'm nervous and cranky and keep getting angry at the wrong people (the phone company, the florist...).  I mean, I'm grateful to have made it to 34 weeks again, but I'm still terrified of having another preterm baby and going through that roller coaster anguish.  Come on, 37 weeks!

#24 of 50 Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Thank you, Pigirl! Looks like we will be going home soon!

Wish you to stay calm and for your baby to wait for 5 weeks more! 

#25 of 50 Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Pigirl.  Sending you calming thoughts and prayers.  Are you still taking progesterone?  How are you feeling?

Olya_yurk, that is such great news! Congrats Momma.

#26 of 50 Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM

I am 32 wks 6 days and my doctor said yesterday that she was hoping I would make it to 36 weeks- hell no!  37 weeks it is:)  Glad things are going so well for all of you!

#27 of 50 Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Olya_yurk-- wahoooooooooooooooooooo for going home soon!  What a journey.  I hope you have some nice, boring summer days ahead of you.  Let us know when you're home.  treehugger.gif

CGsMom and samhope, thanks.  I'm feeling a little less freaked out now that I've passed the point when my water broke last time.  I think I'll feel better still when I get past the point when my son was born.  I am still taking the 17p shots every Friday; I have 3 left.  I'm mostly feeling fine, although my nausea has come back somewhat.  I wonder if the shots could be causing that, since they're keeping my hormones higher than they normally would be.  It's actually kind of reassuring.  Especially because my hair is starting to come out (nothing dramatic, but just like it does post-pregnancy) and I wonder if that's because my hormone levels are trying to drop.  Not that I've overthought any of this.

Samhope, I really can't wait to hear your post about going all the way to 40 weeks.  Are they still keeping you on bedrest?  How are you feeling?

#28 of 50 Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 AM

I have had three pre-term babies. 35, 32 and 34 weeks. This pregnancy was the first one where we've done the shots and I'm sitting unsteady at 35 wks 3 days. The longest I've carried. I didn't have PROM, I just have a very irritable uterus that starts contracting around 21-22 wks. I've been on multiple meds for the contractions as well as the shots, so I don't know what's working, but SOMETHING is working. I was on the meds last time and only made it to 34 weeks, so maybe it is the shots. I'm only dilated to a 3, though the baby is at +2 station, (I always get my plus and minus mixed up, fully engaged is +, right? lol) and I have a TON of contractions, so, it's up to chance still if we'll make it to 36, but either way, it's longer than I've gone before. Here's hoping! I, too, was scared to death of facing a NICU again and the dr's feel that this baby will NOT see the inside of a NICU if it comes between now and Friday, so... let's hope... my 35 weeker didn't have to go to the NICU and my 34 weeker ALMOST didn't, she was just breathing a little fast so she spent a couple days there for observation.

A long way about to say that, yes, I totally think the shots CAN help... but maybe they don't for everyone. I also have some nausea from them and I've had trouble with my milk trying to come in a couple times now. As in, I woke up engorged and leaking once, then woke up with clogged ducts. Both times my dr. told me to take peppermint. I think the shots just cause some weird hormone shifts that confuse your body a little, but to me it's a small price to pay to not end up back in the NICU.
#29 of 50 Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Still hanging in there at 33wks 4days:)  Have started to have some cramping down low (30secs and then gone), but only 5-6x a day.  At this point it is kind of exciting because I know it is my body preparing- although no one else I know at 33 wks is having them (more like 37-38wks).  Still on bedrest and actually taking it super easy till 37wks.  Struggling with the GD diagnosis and higher then desired fasting scores, but otherwise excited to be so far along and so close to full term!  I am thinking baby will probably come shortly after the shots end- which is way okay with me:)

#30 of 50 Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 AM

We are home!!! Our baby Anna came home last Saturday after 80 days in NICU at gestational age of 36 weeks and 2 days. The funny thing is, that's exact the same gestational age, when our son came home too (and he was born more than 3 weeks later). She was sent home with no monitor and no oxygen, no meds either (except for Polyvisol vitamins). Thank you for your prayers and good wishes our way! Thank God for everything!

Easy full-term pregnancies to all expectant mommies and healthy babies to all!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page