Stopping progesterone shots and labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently 36 weeks 1 day with my third, which is the most pregnant I've ever been (yay!)  My first was 36 weeks after pPROM with absolutely no other signs/symptoms of ptl and no cervical dilation until after my water broke, although by the time I was first checked at the hospital I was very effaced.  My second was 33 weeks after pPROM but only after a stomach flu, dehydration, 4 days of contractions without cervical change, terbutaline and IV (which led to the complication of pulmonary edema and a diuretic.)  Only after my water broke did I start having cervical change.

I just had my last progesterone shot on Sunday.  Last week at my OB appointment I had a cervical check because I had been noticing more contractions, but I'm not at all effaced and only about 1cm dilated.  I have another appointment tomorrow, but I'm not assuming that they have any reason to do a cervical check this time unless I request one, which I don't intend to. 

Last night I woke up with painful contractions that were about 6 minutes apart and lasted a couple of hours at least.  I have had lots of bh contractions but these were far more intense and it felt like they were menstrual type cramps and/or there was some cervical involvement.  I know there was still something going on while I was sleeping because I was having dreams about it including dreaming I had bloody show (which confused me when I woke up and had to check if it was real!)  This morning I still feel a little odd and crampy, and have had slightly loose stools. 

I'm wondering when is it likely that I'll go into labor after stopping progesterone injections.  I've tried to find a study or some information, but all I can find is anecdotal evidence.  From that, it seemed that for many women it was about 8 days-2 weeks after, but some went several weeks and a couple were even induced (although it wasn't clear to me if they were actually past their due dates.)

I'm sorry for such a long post, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is normal end of pregnancy gearing up, as in I have 3 or 4 more weeks, or if this is more of a signal that I need to start getting ready a little faster.

#2 of 10 Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 AM

I don't have any firsthand knowlege-- I'm only 18 weeks and just had my second shot-- but from what I've read the progesterone stays in your system for 5 to 9 days.  So if it's the progesterone keeping the baby in, you should have a few more days? 

I hope it all works out well for you, no matter what happens, and please keep us posted.

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#3 of 10 Old 02-21-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm 8 days past my last shot and full term.  So it is safe for her to come any time now, and I'm just waiting to see what happens!

#4 of 10 Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Congratulations on going full term!  That's amazing.  I hope the upcoming birth is a wonderful experience for all of you.  As someone else hoping to go full term this time, I'd love an update when you have one.  :)

#5 of 10 Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

She's here!  37 weeks, on 2/23.  5 pounds 14 ounces, 17.7 inches long.  My heaviest baby.  We are both doing well!

#6 of 10 Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Wahooooooooooo!  Congratulations!  That's thrilling news!  I'm so glad to hear it.  Thank you for the update, and enjoy your babymoon.  I hope to have a similar post sometime this July.  :)

#7 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM

So, when did you end up delivering?  Was it before or after your last shot?

#8 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Me?  I went to 40 weeks and 3 freakin' days!  My last shot was at 36w3d.  I had a healthy baby boy (8 lbs, 3 oz), and he's perfect.  love.gif  I am so grateful to have gone full term this time. 

I believe the other momma here, Lousli, had her daughter about 11 days after her last shot.  (And I'm sure her daughter is perfect, too.)

#9 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM

@ pigirl:  Oh my goodness!  Congrats on going full term, but I bet those last couple weeks were long! 

I had my last shot at 36 weeks, and I am currently 38.1 and still waiting for baby!  Definitely glad to have made it full term though!

#10 of 10 Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 AM

They were VERY long-- and they were during a heat wave in July, to boot!  Plus I'd made my mother come up to stay with us in our tiny little house starting at 37 weeks (when I thought the baby would arrive any day).  But let me tell you, I doubt there was ever anyone more grateful than me to be enormously pregnant and past due.  And it was worth every bit of my cankles and stretch marks to get to hold my baby on my chest after he was born all giant and healthy, and to take him home with me instead of leaving him in the NICU.

Congratulations on 38 weeks, and I hope you have an easy birth and a healthy baby.  :)  Let us know how it all turns out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page