exclusively breastfeeding the premature infant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i finally got it all written down, nine months after willow's birth 9 weeks premature.

i hope this can help someone

http://ecmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/exclusively-breastfeeding-premature.html

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#2 of 4 Old 07-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Liz,

Thanks for sharing your story.  I am 24 weeks pregnant and on bedrest, hoping not to need a NICU but trying to be prepared just in case. 

Jen - married to my superhero.gif, mama to DD (19), DD (17), DS (13), DSD (13), DS (8), forever missing my Hannah Grace candle.gif born still at 18 weeks, now on bedrest and expecting our miracle rainbow1284.gif in November.

#3 of 4 Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Thank you for sharing your story. 

I had my baby 1 week ago today at 33w2d. He's totally fine and healthy but the doctors haven't put in an order for him to start on bottles, yet. He's still got the nasal gavage. He will suck on my finger and a pacifier, though not consistently well. The nurses and lactation consultants have helped me try him at the breast several times, but he's always been too sleepy to do much. Today he did get some milk, but promptly spit up all back up. I think my flow is too strong for him. I am getting serious amounts of milk.

I am fine with doing the hard work when he gets home to get him on the breast - for now I'd LOVE for the doctors to put him on a bottle so he can come home! No one has mentioned him being allowed home on the gavage. 

Also, I feel like they are feeding him too much.. He spits up after nearly every meal. He's just 4 pounds 14 ounces and they are giving him 40 mL every three hours. It's all breastmilk, with this 'HMF' powder they add to it. Doesn't that seem like a lot??

#4 of 4 Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 AM

LunaLady, I think their idea is, give more that way if more comes out, more stays in. Also, you are correct, they won't let him go home until he's feeding on his own (without the tube) and gaining from it. My DD was born at 33.5 and weighed 4lb6oz at birth and came home at 2 weeks weighing that same amount. She was fed exclusively breast milk except for the 1 night that the night nurse was too lazy to get and thaw the breast milk and fed her formula. I did find out about it and FREAKED out on the staff and made sure it never happened again. DD didn't figure out nursing until 14 weeks so I pumped until then and then she started nursing. Today she is 18m old and still nursing like a champ. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page