Preemies and Physical Milestones - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did anyone notice that their babes had delayed physical milestones? We are 7 months and 3 weeks old and 5 months and 2 weeks adjusted. Girls still can't sit up on their own and seem really off balance but they love to stand while holding mommas hands. They are at or above cognitive milestones. Can say "mum", cross over, recognize signs, separation anxiety and anticipate a tickle. Anyone else?

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM

Yes, preemies typically hit milestones at their adjusted age, but there is such a large variation of normal.  My 32-weeker had gross motor delays and didn't sit up until 8 months adjusted, but was verbally advanced.  My 34-weeker sat up at 4.5 months adjusted and was signing at 5 months adjusted, but didn't say her first word or crawl until 10.5 months adjusted (right before her first birthday).

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 4 Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Do you have a NICU follow-up clinic, or can you do an evaluation with Early Intervention?  My DD has been getting physical therapy for some mild low tone and weakness in her trunk.  Her ped thought she was fine, but Early Intervention suggested therapy.  It has been really helpful for her.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#4 of 4 Old 12-24-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, this makes me feel better. We do have CCS because we were in the NICU for 11 weeks. I decided not to use it for a while if at all because I really feel like they make up issues or blow things out of proportion. Honestly, I would rather pay for a physical therapist out of my own pocket! We decided to give them till 7 months adjusted then seek some medical advice.

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Tags
Preemies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page