My 32 week preemie, now 2 years old, weighs 21 lbs, all drs freaking out, how big are your preemie 2 yr olds???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 28 Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
 
New_Momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son was born most unexpectadly of course at 32 weeks. He was 4 lbs 7 ounces. He spent 3 weeks in the NICU. He was on a cpap, then nasal canula, his body temp was regulated for him and he was on a feeding tube of my breastmilk until he left the NICU. He breastfed on demand up until a couple weeks ago because i'm pregnant again and high risk. Breastfeeding was causing me contractions so the DR said I had to stop immediatly. He is now 2 yrs and 2 months old. His pediatricians have always freaked out about his weight. There was a period of his life where he did not gain not even a pound for about 7 months. His weight has started to pick up in the last few months he has gained 3 lbs and now he is 21 lbs. He has been sent to just about every specialist trying to figure out why he wont gain weight until I wised up and put an end to the madness. He's seen gastro, who said he's fine. He also went to a feeding clinic where he saw a psycologist, occupational therapist, and pediatrician. They determined his eating problems are behavoioral. The psycologist said preemies can hold on to painful memories of the NICU and feeding tubes. Has anyone else ever heard this?? Thoughts?? They suggested I leave him in his highchair crying for hours if thats what it takes until he eats, thats not an option for me. He has just never seemed to have any appetite or interest in food. I can do all that I can to get him to eat, but if he doesn't want it i cant force him to swallow and that's been my battle. Recently he saw a new pediatrician who also freaked out saying on the growth chart 100 percent of 2 year olds are bigger then him. He showed me the chart but i have a real hard time believing that. If that is true then I am very concerned. Thoughts??? How big ar e your 2 yr olds preemies and full terms?? Please share!! I just read in Dr Sears portable pediatrician that the average 2 year old is 27 lbs and they can comfortably give or take 4 lbs, if thats the case whats all the fuss about???? Please help!!!!! Thank you.

New_Momma is offline  
#2 of 28 Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 AM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If he has gained 3 pounds in the past few months, that is rapid growth at his age! 

 

Here is the recommended growth chart for children 0-24 months (WHO is the recommended one until 2, then CDC):

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/who/GrChrt_Boys_24LW_100611.pdf

 

That shows 21 lbs being just under the 2nd percentile. His birth weight would have been well under the 2nd percentile (I don't know his adjusted weight at birth, so I can't comment on that).  Unless he was 18 lbs before 15 months, he has GAINED in percentiles not lost.

 

 He is not the only child I have known to be that weight at two years so I'm surprised you are getting that much grief given that it looks like he has stayed in his same basic percentile category.  Are there other concerns?  Height?  Head growth?  Developmental milestones?  A lack of energy?  Poor skin tone, brittle nails, brittle hair?

 

Since he is actually 26 months, I looked at the CDC chart as well:

 

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41l067.pdf

 

Wow, that makes a huge difference.  When  your son is compared to other *breastfed* children he is right under the 2nd percentile, when he is put on the (largely formula fed and white) chart he is way off the bottom.  If I were you, I would plot his weight on both charts and see if he has basically been following his own line.  Once again, though, he is not the only 20 lb two year old I have personally known (I only know *of* him).  Are you small?   Your husband?   Any relatives that are small?

 

That said--- is he eating?  You said that he has "behavoral" eating issues.  What does that mean?  What does he eat in a day?  How far are you in your pregnancy and will you be open to tandem nursing after delivery (though, if your stopping nursing him and his putting on 3 pounds in a matter of months coincided, it doesn't sound like that would necessarily be a weight gain technique--- my DD did put on around 5 lbs in a couple months after the birth of DS, though, due to tandem nursing).  If the concern is him having negative associations with eating, I don't see how leaving him to scream for hours will help that!

 

ETA: I am not a premie parent, just saw your post.  I think the information is applicable, but you could also consider him to be 24 months and use the first scale if you adjust his age.


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
#3 of 28 Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM
 
4midablemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter was born bang on her due date, at a normal weight, and if I remember correctly, she still had just barely cracked 20 lbs. when she was your son's age. She was born long and slender, and that's the way she's stayed, our doctor has never seemed worried at all about it. If your son is active and happy at his current weight, then I wouldn't be concerned, I would just continue to encourage him to eat and let him continue to follow his own growth pattern. I definitely wouldn't try highchair CIO, that sounds like pure torture to me, and totally counterproductive to the process of trying to change his view of eating.


Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

4midablemama is offline  
#4 of 28 Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 PM
 
lovepickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD was born two weeks late and average weight at birth. She's about 22 pounds now. We are just a small bunch.

 

I forgot to mention she's 2. <3


SAHM to DD born 12/09 
lovepickles is offline  
#5 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 AM
 
JamieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds was born on his due date at almost 8lbds and now weighs 24lbs at 26 months. 

 


Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
JamieB is offline  
#6 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 AM
 
cristeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What's his height doing?  During those 7 mos when he didn't put on a pound, what did his height do then?  Some kids seem to concentrate energy in height or weight, and can't seem to do both at once.  When they gain weight they stop growing in height and vice versa, so if you have the numbers for both, looking at them side by side might show a pattern. 

 

I would also recommend using his adjusted age and the correct (BF) chart to plot his growth.  I know with my DS they always use the FF chart even though he was BF until 9 mos, which makes a big difference in where he lands. 

 

As for him eating - is he eating anything (obviously he has to be eating *something*, or you'd be far more worried)?  What things does he seem to like?  Has he been checked for allergies/intolerances (since that can effect growth)?  Have you checked his iron levels (which can effect appetite)?

 

Is he drinking milk or another caloric beverage (something other than water)? 

 

If you're truly concerned about it yourself (and not because your doc is freaking out), you could try offering him a cup of formula each day to increase his calorie/nutrient intake.  But I probably wouldn't intro that at this age unless I really had to. 


Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

cristeen is offline  
#7 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
 
Adaline'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont have a preemie, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I think your ped is way out of line. 3 lbs in a few months for a child of this age is considered rapid growth! I have a daughter that isnt even on the charts right now, at 20 lbs, 3 oz at 22 months old and my ped isnt concerned about her weight because she is low in percentile for height and otherwise healthy. She also went months from the 11-18 month time period without gaining at all. She started walking, the running, and burned off everything she ate. We weaned due to pregnancy at 16 months, and she has gained about 1/2 a month since that time, but she doesnt have a huge appetite and some days she drinks a cup of milk, eats a pancake, and doesnt want to eat all day. Some days she eats a ton. Her mood changes all the time, and with it her want for food changes. I think children at this age are demonstrating a sense of control by what they are choosing to eat, and like you stated before, you cant force them to swallow.

A few times a week I make sure that DD gets a meal that is high in fat: butter, heavy whipping creme, lard, or some other fat. Strawberry banana shakes made with heavy whipping cream and whole milk are a huge hit, we do a couple a week. Just frozen strawberries, bananas, 1/2 creme, and 1/2 milk and then I let it sit in the freezer for about 30 minutes before I give it to her. She wont touch avocados- hates them no matter how I fix them. Even with honey. On a daily basis, I try to get her to eat nuts (even candied nuts if I have to), fish, seeds, food cooked in olive oil, cheeses, ect.

The only constant that she will eat that is high in fat is fresh ground peanut butter with a tiny amount of honey. She will eat it by the tablespoon, and I let her because I feel like she needs the fat and the protein. One thing I figured out a little while back is that she loves to control her eating. If she is sitting in a highchair, she'll barely touch her food. If I give her a plate of apple slices with peanut butter and honey in the middle where SHE has the control to dip it in the peanut butter and eat it, she will clean it up. I dont know if that is something that you've tried with your LO, but it also might encourage some self eating since you have a new baby on the way too smile.gif

Honestly, Id look at a ped that was more breastfeeding friendly for this next babe. If this ped isnt even using WHO charts and is suggesting that you leave your kid in a highchair crying it sounds like you guys have totally different ideas about how to care for children. IMO, it is really important for a ped and a mom to be able to get on the same page about healthcare issues and if he is suggesting things that you find to be completely and totally out of the question then it makes me wonder if you guys will ever really see eye to eye. I'm not sure where you live, but you could try posting in Finding your Tribe in your tribal area to see if there are other peds that moms here at MDC recommend: http://www.mothering.com/community/f/76/tribal-areas

Also, this is a thread supporting moms who have skinny babies that you may find useful: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1289635/skinny-babies-tribe

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Adaline'sMama is offline  
#8 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
New_Momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

If he has gained 3 pounds in the past few months, that is rapid growth at his age! 

 

Here is the recommended growth chart for children 0-24 months (WHO is the recommended one until 2, then CDC):

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/who/GrChrt_Boys_24LW_100611.pdf

 

That shows 21 lbs being just under the 2nd percentile. His birth weight would have been well under the 2nd percentile (I don't know his adjusted weight at birth, so I can't comment on that).  Unless he was 18 lbs before 15 months, he has GAINED in percentiles not lost.

 

 He is not the only child I have known to be that weight at two years so I'm surprised you are getting that much grief given that it looks like he has stayed in his same basic percentile category.  Are there other concerns?  Height?  Head growth?  Developmental milestones?  A lack of energy?  Poor skin tone, brittle nails, brittle hair?

 

Since he is actually 26 months, I looked at the CDC chart as well:

 

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set2clinical/cj41l067.pdf

 

Wow, that makes a huge difference.  When  your son is compared to other *breastfed* children he is right under the 2nd percentile, when he is put on the (largely formula fed and white) chart he is way off the bottom.  If I were you, I would plot his weight on both charts and see if he has basically been following his own line.  Once again, though, he is not the only 20 lb two year old I have personally known (I only know *of* him).  Are you small?   Your husband?   Any relatives that are small?

 

That said--- is he eating?  You said that he has "behavoral" eating issues.  What does that mean?  What does he eat in a day?  How far are you in your pregnancy and will you be open to tandem nursing after delivery (though, if your stopping nursing him and his putting on 3 pounds in a matter of months coincided, it doesn't sound like that would necessarily be a weight gain technique--- my DD did put on around 5 lbs in a couple months after the birth of DS, though, due to tandem nursing).  If the concern is him having negative associations with eating, I don't see how leaving him to scream for hours will help that!

 

ETA: I am not a premie parent, just saw your post.  I think the information is applicable, but you could also consider him to be 24 months and use the first scale if you adjust his age.



This is so thorough and informative. Thank you, i appreciate that!

 

Thats correct, he was stuck at 19 lbs for about 7 months, then for the first time in his life started eating like crazy. He gained those 3 lbs and has now pretty much given up eating again.

 

Af far as the charts, thanks and thanks for explaining them. I honestly try to not ever look a tthem because they scare me. So I can't say I understand all too well. I know at 2 yrs old I stop adjusting his premature age. He is 26 months old in a week. I feel like i'm not to sure about these charts, I sure hope I don't offend anybody but most babies are pumped up with fattening yucky formula. Thats why I think they are so huge. But anyway, in the 2 percentile doesn't sound concerning to you?

 

None of those other concerns. Quite the opposite. They tried to send me to OT since he wasn't walking, at 14 months he literally took off running and never looked back. Then they tried to send me to ST because they said he needs 50 words by age 2. Well I stopped keeping track at 200 words, he speaks in full sentences already and is 26 months old. So no worries. :)

 

Oh and yes, were small. I'm 5'2, 120 when i'm not pregnant, haha. My husband is I guess 5'6 and about 140. Ive always thought that too, like hello, were all small!! They pushed genetics so hard to look for any "disorders" I refused that too. He's been through enough. It's lik ethey wont stop until they find something "wrong" with him.

 

Some days he eats well. Some days he may eat a cheese stick and thats it. It used to really really get to me. I get a lot of pressure from every angle, esp family and all these crazy drs. Now I know I just have to let it go. Worry was literally consuming and ruining my life.

 

I'm always so proud of tantum nursers!!! Good for you! The only thing they said and this family dr I tried out said he must need a psycologist. Does this sound insane to anyone but me????? He's 2!! I feel confident in saying i'm the best momma he could ever hope for, he needs have always been met, exceeded/ and his dad is an amazing AP dad as well, he's had the most wonderful life. They did say that babies can remember and have truama from the nicu and feeding tubes..thoughts???

 

Thanks again!!!

 

 

 

New_Momma is offline  
#9 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
New_Momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4midablemama View Post

My daughter was born bang on her due date, at a normal weight, and if I remember correctly, she still had just barely cracked 20 lbs. when she was your son's age. She was born long and slender, and that's the way she's stayed, our doctor has never seemed worried at all about it. If your son is active and happy at his current weight, then I wouldn't be concerned, I would just continue to encourage him to eat and let him continue to follow his own growth pattern. I definitely wouldn't try highchair CIO, that sounds like pure torture to me, and totally counterproductive to the process of trying to change his view of eating.



Thank you!! I think you are so so right. That exsactly what I thought about the highchair, theres some sick ppl in this world!

New_Momma is offline  
#10 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
New_Momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepickles View Post

DD was born two weeks late and average weight at birth. She's about 22 pounds now. We are just a small bunch.

 

I forgot to mention she's 2. <3



Thank you. This makes me feel so much better. Esp since she was full term, or late even. Ha.

 

New_Momma is offline  
#11 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
New_Momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post

My ds was born on his due date at almost 8lbds and now weighs 24lbs at 26 months. 

 



Great. This is encouraging. Thank you. I'm a little confused with your description. How many children do you have? I hope to have a huge family one day!!

 

New_Momma is offline  
#12 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
New_Momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

What's his height doing?  During those 7 mos when he didn't put on a pound, what did his height do then?  Some kids seem to concentrate energy in height or weight, and can't seem to do both at once.  When they gain weight they stop growing in height and vice versa, so if you have the numbers for both, looking at them side by side might show a pattern. 

 

I would also recommend using his adjusted age and the correct (BF) chart to plot his growth.  I know with my DS they always use the FF chart even though he was BF until 9 mos, which makes a big difference in where he lands. 

 

As for him eating - is he eating anything (obviously he has to be eating *something*, or you'd be far more worried)?  What things does he seem to like?  Has he been checked for allergies/intolerances (since that can effect growth)?  Have you checked his iron levels (which can effect appetite)?

 

Is he drinking milk or another caloric beverage (something other than water)? 

 

If you're truly concerned about it yourself (and not because your doc is freaking out), you could try offering him a cup of formula each day to increase his calorie/nutrient intake.  But I probably wouldn't intro that at this age unless I really had to. 



I'm expecting another in March. Congradulations! :) Thanks a lot for your help.

 

His height has never been a concern or issue. Thats interesting what you said. I never heard that before but it makes since.

 

I did not realize there was two seperate charts but that makes a lot of sence!!

 

Some days he eats like crazy, some days he doesn't eat, when I say that I mean he may have a cheese stick and a cracker all day. He has grown out of intolderances thankfully. His iron is good. He does drink cows milk, usually chocolate, pediasure which is a life saver for us and lots and lots of juice.

 

Thanks again.

 

New_Momma is offline  
#13 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
New_Momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I dont have a preemie, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I think your ped is way out of line. 3 lbs in a few months for a child of this age is considered rapid growth! I have a daughter that isnt even on the charts right now, at 20 lbs, 3 oz at 22 months old and my ped isnt concerned about her weight because she is low in percentile for height and otherwise healthy. She also went months from the 11-18 month time period without gaining at all. She started walking, the running, and burned off everything she ate. We weaned due to pregnancy at 16 months, and she has gained about 1/2 a month since that time, but she doesnt have a huge appetite and some days she drinks a cup of milk, eats a pancake, and doesnt want to eat all day. Some days she eats a ton. Her mood changes all the time, and with it her want for food changes. I think children at this age are demonstrating a sense of control by what they are choosing to eat, and like you stated before, you cant force them to swallow.
A few times a week I make sure that DD gets a meal that is high in fat: butter, heavy whipping creme, lard, or some other fat. Strawberry banana shakes made with heavy whipping cream and whole milk are a huge hit, we do a couple a week. Just frozen strawberries, bananas, 1/2 creme, and 1/2 milk and then I let it sit in the freezer for about 30 minutes before I give it to her. She wont touch avocados- hates them no matter how I fix them. Even with honey. On a daily basis, I try to get her to eat nuts (even candied nuts if I have to), fish, seeds, food cooked in olive oil, cheeses, ect.
The only constant that she will eat that is high in fat is fresh ground peanut butter with a tiny amount of honey. She will eat it by the tablespoon, and I let her because I feel like she needs the fat and the protein. One thing I figured out a little while back is that she loves to control her eating. If she is sitting in a highchair, she'll barely touch her food. If I give her a plate of apple slices with peanut butter and honey in the middle where SHE has the control to dip it in the peanut butter and eat it, she will clean it up. I dont know if that is something that you've tried with your LO, but it also might encourage some self eating since you have a new baby on the way too smile.gif
Honestly, Id look at a ped that was more breastfeeding friendly for this next babe. If this ped isnt even using WHO charts and is suggesting that you leave your kid in a highchair crying it sounds like you guys have totally different ideas about how to care for children. IMO, it is really important for a ped and a mom to be able to get on the same page about healthcare issues and if he is suggesting things that you find to be completely and totally out of the question then it makes me wonder if you guys will ever really see eye to eye. I'm not sure where you live, but you could try posting in Finding your Tribe in your tribal area to see if there are other peds that moms here at MDC recommend: http://www.mothering.com/community/f/76/tribal-areas
Also, this is a thread supporting moms who have skinny babies that you may find useful: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1289635/skinny-babies-tribe



Adaline is such a beautiful name!!!!

 

Thanks a lot for your help! i appreciate it.

 

Your daughters story is identical to my sons, as far as the weight pattern. I'm so glad your not being hassled. Even as far as what he eats day to day, he's just like her!! Glad to hear he's not the only one that does this! That is so true about the highchair, I gave up on that a long time ago. I'm not a parent that needs control, if he wants to eat on the floor I don't care, not a battle i choose to fight. ya know? He does tend to eat a lot better not in the highchair.

 

Thanks for all the food suggestions!! some of that we do and some well try. :)

 

I am trying so so so hard to find a new ped. I'm having a lot of trouble. I've put hours of research in at every place/website you can imagine. NO LUCK! There is NOTHING in my area. I'm willing to travel, but i'm talking 3 to 4 hrs away which I obviously cant do. I'm still trying. Thanks also for skinny babies link, so cute!

 

New_Momma is offline  
#14 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 03:29 PM
 
Sharon, RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't remember DS#1's weight at 2 (because, that was a long time ago!), but DS#2 is 2 years, 4 months and just made it to 25 lbs.  He was stuck at 22 lbs for a long time- like months.  My niece is 20 months old, and 19 lbs.  Both babies were full-term.  My BIL and SIL are tiny people, but I am not- I'm short, but NOT skinny at all, so I don't know why DS#2 is so little, although my husband is on the smaller side.  The range of normal is all over the place.  Just concentrating on the child's weight without considering other factors (developmental milestones, activity, mood, etc.) does not seem like thorough care by your doctor.  I'm sorry. :-(


Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

Sharon, RN is offline  
#15 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 03:36 PM
 
cristeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Momma View Post

I did not realize there was two seperate charts but that makes a lot of sence!!

 

Some days he eats like crazy, some days he doesn't eat, when I say that I mean he may have a cheese stick and a cracker all day. He has grown out of intolderances thankfully. His iron is good. He does drink cows milk, usually chocolate, pediasure which is a life saver for us and lots and lots of juice.




If you have these numbers (you may have to ask your ped for a copy of his chart to get them), I'd pull up the BF weight chart for 0-24 mos and plot every age/weight you have data for.  See what his curve is/has been all along.  Use his adjusted age.  If he's been steadily at 2% his whole life, someone has to be, and it just means he's a little guy.  If he was up at 10%, and then suddenly dropped to 2%, that's something to worry about.  If he was at 1%, and now is at 2%, then that's an improvement, and again not something to really worry about.  But i would suggest plotting the graph yourself and seeing what the growth curve looks like, and if you need to take it to your next ped appt to get him off your back, I would.

 

As for the food - my 28 mo giant eats like that.  It's totally normal for a toddler.  Some days he eats more than my DH, and some days he has a banana and a cheese stick, maybe a piece of toast (and he doesn't drink milk, just a bottle of diluted formula at bedtime).  And he's in the 98%, so I wouldn't blame his eating habits on his size - just his age. 

 

As for high chair vs no high chair... I noticed the same thing and got rid of the high chair around 22-ish mos.  And then we went to see the g'parents at Xmas, and they had a Keekaroo high chair (similar to a Stokke Tripp Trapp).  He could climb in and out of it on his own, and he adored it.  This child who we have been struggling with communication (he's autistic), would climb into the high chair, sit and say "eat!" a couple times a day.  Where at home it's about half and half whether he'll ask for food or just have a screaming tantrum because he's hungry or wants something different (he free feeds from a plate on the coffee table, but I have to fill it several times a day).  So I'm actually keeping an eye out for deals on one of these high chairs now (they're pricey).  So he might just want a bit more control over his eating situation.

 

I don't recall if I saw anyone suggest a feeding tray for him... I know a lot of mamas use a muffin tin, putting something different in each cup and letting them free feed out of it.  It gives them choices and control and minimizes your up and down having to find him food.  Might be something worth exploring.  And if you put foods you know he likes in a few of them and newer foods or foods that are iffy in some others, he has the option to eat it or not (control), and you don't have to feel the frustration of having him not eat his food. 

 

HTH


Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

cristeen is offline  
#16 of 28 Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had my 2 yr old foster son (who will be 3 next month) for almost 6 months, and was 22 lbs at placement. Doctors at the time said he was underweight, but were not alarmed since he wasn't losing weight. He has grown a bit now but hasn't put on a lot of weight. I'm not sure if he was preemie or not.


Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

nicolelynn is offline  
#17 of 28 Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 AM
 
TiredX2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: it appears to be a handbasket
Posts: 20,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Momma View Post

But anyway, in the 2 percentile doesn't sound concerning to you?

 

 


No, not by itself.  When added to the fact of two smaller than average parents, his percentiles actually make complete sense.

 

DD didn't gain any weight from 10-15 months (she actually lost an ounce in that time).  What I was told then, and have had backed up over and over is that weight is actually a weak indicator of growth/nutrition issues.  Indicators that are more important are height, head circumference and developmental milestones.  If there is an issue with one of those *and* weight there may very well be an issue.  If the only issue is weight, then a wait and see approach is perfectly fine.

 

If you want some help charting his growth I (or others here, I'm sure) would be happy to do so.  You can just list the stats you have from his various appointments and we can put them on the charts available.

 

I also wanted to respond to one other thing:

 

 

Quote:

See what his curve is/has been all along. Use his adjusted age. If he's been steadily at 2% his whole life, someone has to be, and it just means he's a little guy. If he was up at 10%, and then suddenly dropped to 2%, that's something to worry about. If he was at 1%, and now is at 2%, then that's an improvement, and again not something to really worry about. But i would suggest plotting the graph yourself and seeing what the growth curve looks like, and if you need to take it to your next ped appt to get him off your back, I would.

 

If you do see that change (from 10th to 2nd percentile) that is not necessarily a cause for alarm.  It is something to watch for, but officially I think you have to cross two percentile categories (categories are denoted by the curves on the chart--- so one line is at 50, one at 25, one at 75...). Virtually no child sticks exactly to one of those average lines and you shouldn't be worried if they do.  I think my DD went from 75th% weight down to the 35% in a number of months.  Weight at birth is largely determined by the "health" of the mother during pregnancy, so it is easy to get a large baby who is destined to be small, or a small baby who is destined to be large.  You see their individual genetics take over more around the 6 months mark.  For my DD, she was born a bit larger than average and gained weight rapidly.  The rest of her life, though, she has been long and lean and that started to come out by 6 months and was apparent by a year.


 

 

TiredX2 is offline  
#18 of 28 Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM
 
JamieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Momma View Post





Great. This is encouraging. Thank you. I'm a little confused with your description. How many children do you have? I hope to have a huge family one day!!

 



 

We have three boys :D. 4yo,2yo and 6 weeks. My 4yo is also quite small. 30lbs and not quite 38 in. 


Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
JamieB is offline  
#19 of 28 Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Ratchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Some kids seem to love drinking lots of fluids and don't save room for food. You mentioned that your DS has lots of juice- the AAP recommends limiting juice to 4 oz/ day, and doing about 2 glasses of milk.  But if these are the foods (beverages) he loves- maybe find a way to add more calories, healthy fats, and protein to these (the shakes sound awsome- the blender is your friend!)  It sounds like he's doing great, so don't worry.  This would just be a way to add a little nutritional cushion when he's not feeling like eating much, and is a nice alternative to pediasure id you want to "mix it up" a bit.

 

 

Ratchet is online now  
#20 of 28 Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM
 
darthtunaqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No ones commented on oral aversion so I will!

 

It doesn't sound like he has oral aversion, most of the time that comes from long term things in their mouths (most NICUs put feeding tubes in the nose for this purpose), things like breathing tubes, feeding tubes if they're on CPAP (putting it in the nose prevents the seal), suctioning, etc. 

 

Ive seen kids with oral aversion, and it's bad. They refuse to eat, don't grow, will gag or throw up when food is put in their mouth, etc. a baby I primaried in the NICU has oral aversion with food, but happily shoves everything in her mouth that isn't food...

 

Thus, I think he's a perfectly normal healthy toddler who is on the small side of the beanpole!


Me (29) and DW (32).  Taking a long break from TTC, back at it sometime in 2015/2016.  2 fur babies cat.gif cat.gif, Mustang and Anastasia.
darthtunaqueen is offline  
#21 of 28 Old 01-28-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Cinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've got tiny kids, my youngest's stats should be taken with a grain of salt cause he has a genetic growth disorder discovered through micro array dna testing, but even knowing what he has and testing specifically for that, all 3 other kids are perfectly normal, 2 of them are small and 1 is just really tall and really skinny.

 

Anyway:

 

Janelle-born at 34 weeks, 5lbs 9ounces, 4lbs 8ounces 12 hours later after diuretics, this is what the doctors considered her true birth weight,, at 1 she was 17lbs, at 2 she was 17lbs (at 18 months she was 15lbs, so she did gain in there, she just lost some first), at 3 she was 21lbs...not 100% sure on weights after that, but now, at 9, she is 42lbs and 51".

 

Kincaid-39 weeks...he was 7lbs 7ounces at birth and 19lbs at 1, and I don't remember anything else, he's always been, since around 1, between the 20th% and 30th% for weight and the 80th and 100th% for height.  He is 7, will be 8 in march, and weighs 55lbs and is about 53", he's been bigger than his big sister since he was 4 months old and she was 22 months old.

 

Travis-38 weeks-6lbs 14oz at birth.  14lbs at 1, 16lbs 14oz at 18 months (I only remember this cause it meant at 18 months he had gained exactly 10lbs since birth...), 19lbs at 2, 25lbs at 3, 32lbs at 4, 33lbs now at 4 1/2.  He's also really really really short, like 39".

 

River-36weeks, 5lbs 10oz at birth-12lbs at 1, 15lbs at 2, at 2 1/2 he is 16lbs 12oz, he's also only 29". 

 

For us, except for River, we understood they were going to be small.  My mom is 5'1 and my husband's dad is also 5'1" (and FIL's sisters are all under 5' and FIL's mom was 4'6") so it's just natural for us.  My dad's family are all REALLY tall, even my dad's mom was over 6', so that also explains our one really tall kid as well.  Strangely enough, our only kid who has ever had any feeding/eating issues is Kincaid, the one who grows fine with no issues.  His eating issues were very severe though, he was hospitalized for IV rehydration more than once when he refused to eat, nurse or drink anything for days at a time.  He'd go weeks where we got nothing but liquid into him, and he was 2.  He got feeding therapy for 3 years and is much much better now.  His issues were sensory issues (didn't feel hunger, didn't taste food, didn't like the feel of food in his mouth) and epilepsy (the medication he was on, topamax, though a miracle drug for him, is a known appetite suppressant) combined.  What we learned in feeding therapy was totally the opposite of you, food was never supposed to be used as a reward or a punishment, leaving a kid in a high chair for hours is definitely a punishment.  We had to make it so eating was no big deal.  We made a meal, we put his plate at the table with ours, if he ate good, if he didn't we offered something else later, we never cooked specifically his favorites just for him, but we never forced him to eat either.  Now this was done along with a LOT of therapy, especially oral sensitivity therapy by an occupational therapist, so it's not like just one thing worked, it was a huge combo of things, but letting him sit in a high chair screaming for hours was NEVER part of it.

 

If you are actually worried, genetics could actually be a good idea.  For us it was worth all the testing cause the disorder River has has a shortened life expectancy without growth hormone therapy but no issues at all like that if you do growth hormone therapy, that's a pretty major thing to know.  But there was more going on than just small (and, your 2 year old is bigger than he will be at 3, by far) like he ended up hospitalized for colds and such cause they'd attack his muscles and he wouldn't even be able to hold his own head up.  So it was a lot more than just a kid who didn't grow as quickly as the doctors wanted him to. 


Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
Cinder is offline  
#22 of 28 Old 01-28-2012, 05:20 PM
 
LynnS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pacific NW longing for the Midwest
Posts: 12,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Momma View Post

 

Some days he eats like crazy, some days he doesn't eat, when I say that I mean he may have a cheese stick and a cracker all day. He has grown out of intolerances thankfully. His iron is good. He does drink cows milk, usually chocolate, pediasure which is a life saver for us and lots and lots of juice.

 

 

 Every 2 year old I know sometimes eats a lot and sometimes doesn't eat enough to keep a bird alive. When tracking a child's eating, you really need to keep track over the course of a week, rather than a single day.

 

The only thing that you wrote that would concern me would be the "lots and lots of juice". Juice is high in sugar and low in nutrients, when compared to other foods. It also tends to fill kids up without providing them the nutrients they need. For a 2 year old, I'd be concerned that it's not providing nutrients and the dense calories he may need. I've known at least 2 toddlers who have had eating issues (in particular being underweight) and one of the first things the doctors recommended is to cut way back on juice. Way back being no more than 4-8 oz a day. If he drinks more than that, I'd work on scaling back the amount of juice, perhaps by watering down the juice and then replacing it with water. Water doesn't fill a child up the way juice does.
 

 


Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
LynnS6 is offline  
#23 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM
 
~bookcase~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the middle of sweet chaos.
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my 3 year old is about 21lbs and still being monitored but we've had blood tests etc done and all were normal. i was adamant not to let the pressure interfere with how i fed her, so if she didn't eat for a few days i knew that her siblings had also not eaten for 3 days sometimes (i don't mean literally, but grazing without 'purpose' lol) and then eventually she would down more food than her siblings for a while. i wanted to preserve 'normal' as far as we could and i think we achieved that (it helped that she has 5 other siblings so i felt confident generally)

 

it was suggested for ages that i was starving her and i remember crying at the dr that maybe he wanted to rehome her and see how well she did somewhere else eyesroll.gif oops. but i think he got the picture and i definitely felt better for saying it out loud lol.gif

 

now she has the diagnosis that she is genetically small - we'll see. her uncle was titchy and is now a skinny 6' something. i'd love to send the dr a picture when she is 20 and still a stick insect but towering over both her parents orngbiggrin.gif

 

you could get some inspiration from baby led weaning website/ book to maybe help you relax......


joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

~bookcase~ is offline  
#24 of 28 Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 AM
 
aikigypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just chiming in to this old thread because I'm facing the same issue. My little guy was born at 34 weeks, 4 lb 7 oz, right on the 50th percentile for his gestational age.

 

Since then he has been about the 1st percentile on the WHO charts and off-the-charts small on the old CDC charts, which he's now supposed to be on at 25 months. He's 21.5 pounds and gaining slowly, very active and otherwise healthy and up to speed developmentally, if not more. My husband and I are not tiny -- I'm average (5'5") and my husband is a little on the short side, but heavy for his size (not fat, just dense). I also was very small as a kid, always the smallest in my class until high school, and didn't reach my full adult height until I was at least 20.

 

Anyway, the doctor is only mildly worried, but my parents are freaking out and want me to demand all sorts of tests for him. Ugh. I am a little worried, but right now I'm comfortable with the wait-and-see approach.

aikigypsy is offline  
#25 of 28 Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM
 
mom2tig99Nroo03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: praying, researchin' and bedrestin'
Posts: 9,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't remember his weight at 2 yrs old, but he turned 3 in july, and is now roughly 27 lbs iirc. he is still super skinny, and when we still had a dr (before we got fired for soemthgin else) he was prescribed pediasure as well. he was 4 lb on the dot when he was born, and is not developmentally ont rack currently, he gets speech, ot, and pt to help him catch up.  he has not had much testing other than regular iron check etc (he gets wic).


l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
mom2tig99Nroo03 is offline  
#26 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 07:21 AM
 
CGsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 27 weeker is now 2 years 11 months and weighs 24 pounds. If she is happy and content, I usually don't worry about her intake. She eats when she is hungry. If she is cranky and moody, I will start to watch her intake and make sure I am offering up higher fat and protein options and that usually levels her out.

We were on the weight watch circus from about 18 months to 24 months and I finally just put my foot down and said no more. She has always been at or below the 3rd percentile (even when corrected)

Keep in mind, when they become mobile, they really burn a lot of calories. Small stomachs and high activity slows growth. Also, listen to your instincts. You are the one that is with him day in and day out. You know him better than anyone. What does your gut say?
CGsMom is offline  
#27 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 07:53 AM
 
MeepyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,723
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

My 32 week preemie is 3 now, but at 2, she weight 24.5 lbs.  I'd be way more interested in how the baby falls on the height for weight chart then on the weight by itself - some people are small, and unless he's underweight for his height, I'd be inclined to disregard this as a concern.

 

It may be that it would be good to get your DS to eat more, but leaving him in high chair for hours just sounds bizarre - painful and pointless, a great way to turn every meal into a power struggle.  In my experience, toddlers eat when they want to.  It might take some experimentation to find what foods work best for him - are there certain textures he likes or avoids, etc. - but I'd focus on figuring out what's appealing, and providing it, with extra fat if possible.  When DD was two, we added heavy cream to her milk (the rest of the family drinks skim), and buttered nearly everything for her. 

 

I also found that my toddlers ate more when eating was a part of a cheerful routine.  If they were generally active and playing, they'd eat.  If they were sulking, they'd come to the table and sulk.  If I wanted to get weight on a toddler, I'd maximize outdoor playing time, keep snacks in my bag, and build a routine with a hearty lunch in it.

MeepyCat is online now  
#28 of 28 Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM
 
mom2tig99Nroo03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: praying, researchin' and bedrestin'
Posts: 9,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

 

It may be that it would be good to get your DS to eat more, but leaving him in high chair for hours just sounds bizarre - painful and pointless, a great way to turn every meal into a power struggle.  In my experience, toddlers eat when they want to.  It might take some experimentation to find what foods work best for him - are there certain textures he likes or avoids, etc. - but I'd focus on figuring out what's appealing, and providing it, with extra fat if possible. 

couldn't agree more. the advice you were given to leave him in the chair was really kooky


l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
mom2tig99Nroo03 is offline  
Reply

Tags
Preemies

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off