Gift ideas for brand new (today) parents of 31.5 week twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, my cousin just had her first babies, b/g twins this afternoon. They were 31 weeks 5 days and 3.5lbs a piece. They appear to be doing well and are breathing on their own, but I know it's goig to be a long road. They've been told they won't even be able to hold them for a couple of weeks. I live very far away and want to send a care package. Can you help me with ideas? Books? If so, which ones? I'm sending personal care items that I know she likes, but for her husband? What's a good nicu dad gift? She's going to pump to give them breast milk, anything I can send along in that realm? I have several friends who are parents of preemie twins, and have cared for many preemie twins in my line of work, but I'm sure there must be some great stuff out there. 

Thank you!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#2 of 3 Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 AM

Hopefully they will get to hold them soon-it would be unusual to have to wait so long, but every case is different.

For her: a nice shawl or wrap that she can wear while doing kangaroo care and later during breastfeeding.

I guess for him the equivalent might be a really soft flannel button down shirt?

One of the best things we got was a little plaster kit (they probably sell them at craft stores) to do baby footprints-I wish we had a bunch of these so I could also give one to each set of grandparents.

Something more practical, but very much appreciated, is gift cards for food near the hospital or a gift basket of food-we got a nice one from Zingermans.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#3 of 3 Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 AM

I agree with above.

I would also add a maid service coupon to the gifts. One of the hardest things for me in our 11 week NICU stay was standing my ground with AP (I was some kind of crazy crunchy granola mom to them). If she is the same way maybe some Dr. Sears books on AP, he is a doctor that most professionals agree with somewhat. Books will also give her something to read by their bedside. Snacks are great too, I found that I wasn't eating for huge parts of the day, the nurses would remind me! Also, some preemie sized clothes are a great gift. We were not expecting them to come SO soon so I only had newborn size. Once I was able to get them into our adorable baby clothes they stopped looking so "sick", even though they stayed for another month after that it made me feel better.

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

Tags
Nicu

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page