NICUniqueKnits! Would appreciate your feedback... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Howdy ladies!  I'm a knitter who has ideas for designing articles that will be "NICU" friendly.  Have a Kimono and Clamshell Cap (accomodates IV lines) already in the pattern test phase, and am thinking about a new article...

I wondering about your first experiences holding your little ones.  My three boys were full term, but I remember being terrified of dropping them... even number 3!!!

I thought then, and think now, that a blanket the can fold up into a sling to be worn around mom/dad's neck would be such a blessing, and would ease that anxiety.  In the NICU, the nurses could swaddle baby up by folding/fastening the blankie, present baby to you, and strap 'em on.  This would eliminate the struggle of getting baby in a sling.  Putting baby back would be just as easy... lay them down in the sling/blankie, then unfasten the sides and unfold.

I'm not a preemie-Mom, so I'm wondering if what I imagine as the "transfer" of baby is really that nerve wracking, and if this type of article would be useful.... or if one already exists in the NICU.

Your thought welcome and appreciated.

#2 of 3 Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For me a sling probably wouldn't be all that useful.  The only time I was allowed to hold my preemie in the early times was when we were doing skin to skin, so the sling would be in the way of that.  By the time we were allowed to hold him all the time I was a pro at transferring him and dealing with all the wires and tubes.

AmyJeanneBee likes this.

Married to my other half

Mama to Madeline (07-10-07) and Finley (10-17-11)

#3 of 3 Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It's been a while, my premmie is now 7! however from what I remember I don't think we would have found a sling that useful.

As with the PP we were aiming for skin to skin contact when holding her so a blanket over the top of both of us was all that was needed. I also can't picture a sling staying in the incubator with her, even if it unclipped into a blanket. She had a little nest thing to help keep her in position so I could see laying on a blanket getting in the way of that.

Out NICU required a nurse to get DD in and out or the incubator, which was the point that she had a lot of wires. Once she was in an open cot we were able to take her in and out as we would any other baby. She still had a couple of monitors but we were shown how to rest them if they went off because we moved her. She was a couple of weeks old by that time and we weren't that intimidated by the monitors by then.

Tags
Nicu , Preemies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page