new here and kinda frustrated - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

technically im not a parent, but the mother, and we dont know who the father is, wont be in the picture and the grandma who is a very good friend of mine will be getting her when she gets out, and i will be taking care of her alot of the time, i have been going to see her everyday in the hospital, she has been in there since april 14th, she was born 2 lbs 6 ounces, and is now 4 lbs 12 ounces, she was born addicted to drugs, but thru all that she is doing great, she is off the breathing tubes, and feeding tubes, and is out of the incubator. she was going to come home last week, but then she all of a sudden started having apnea spells after not having them for a whole week, now she is having one everyday and i have no clue why, she doesnt really ever cry i have heard her once, which i dont know if thats a good thing or bad that she is not crying.her due date is in 2 weeks so im hoping she comes home then. a few quick questions though, how did yall get through your time in the nicu she technically isnt mine but i have come very attached after spending everyday with her and watching her struggle to live and sometimes i can get very frustrated, also i just bought a bunch of books to read to her, i have been reading to her off my kindle, but her grandma says its stupid to read to her i think it helps her get developmentally did any of yall read to your LO in the nicu? and any advice would be great. thank you in advance

#2 of 2 Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

her grandma says its stupid to read to her i think it helps her get developmentally

Yikes.  Research shows it is helpful to read to them.  And ultimately, it's almost like saying it's stupid to talk to them?  The point is your voice matters.  And babies learn language by hearing language.  March of Dimes had donated a lot of books to our NICU that we were encouraged to use.  You get through it because you have no choice but to put one foot in front of the other.  Frustration was my main define-able emotion, really.  And my husband is great.  So, good to have at least one great support person who knows what you're going through.  And I read a lot (to myself, to my baby).  It passes the time. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page