Mothering Forum banner

Alternatives to Polyvisol?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  freegirl23cat 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone with a preemie has used an alternative to polyvisol for a multivitamin? I just purchased some Rainbow Light "NutriStart" powder. I don't like the idea of giving dd a synthetic and artificial product like polyvisol. DD was born at 32 weeks, is 38 weeks now and the powder I bought has dosage for 6-12 month old. I was thinking of just halving the dose?

Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post

They only recommended we do Vit D so we do the Carlson's D Drops
Ditto. We just need D and iron.

I didn't want to buy D-Vi-Sol (Enfamil product) and our local CVS doesn't stock the generic D3 for babies (would've been free with insurance), so we bought Carlson's, which I prefer.

We also give iron (Fer-iron/ferrous sulfate). DD is refusing it, though, so I might need to find another iron source.

#4 ·
We use Baby Plex multi, found on vitacost.com.

If iron supplementation is necessary, good luck finding anything not made by Enfamil! We need to special order Fer-in-Sol drops from behind the Rx counter. Due to recent FDA regulation changes (iron is the leading cause of accidental overdose in small children) it is virtually impossible to find anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.