New here -- babe born at 26w4d - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-07-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I'm new here. Our beautiful little boy was born on June 28th at 26w4d. It was completely unexpected; we'd had a very healthy pregnancy, but it turns out my placenta was infected (GBS) and I went into labour very early.

Our little guy is a fighter. He's on CPAP and taking my milk well through a feeding tube. He's on lots of antibiotics for the infection, but he's responding well to the treatments. It's been really hard on us, especially as the adrenaline of the first week wears off. I think today I just realized the length of the road ahead. I hate not having him close to me all the time, and it's so hard to not be able to touch him and be with him, except during certain times, even though I know that's what's best for him right now.

I really would love to hear from people who are going through or have been through similar situations. It's going to be a long journey and it would be great to have companions on this road.

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

Follow our NICU experience: http://adairpickle.wordpress.com/
#2 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dandylez, I've been thinking about you and "Pickle". I hope you're all doing great and are able to continue kangaroo care.

This organization provides parent support which includes a parent mentor program, educational programs, on-line discussion forums, and parent support groups http://www.preemiestoday.org/

Aslo, Nicole Cohn's site has some good resources for parents of preemies, and she also sells The Preemie Parent’s Guide to the NICU. http://www.preemieworld.com/blog/?page_id=528. My advice is to not watch her film or read Nicholas's story yet - it's very emotional. The circumstances that led to his outcome were also very different than yours (born earlier, IUGR, surrogate had significant health issues). Pickle seems to be much more ahead already.

I heard that March of Dimes also provides support, but the level & quality depends on the local chapter. http://www.marchofdimes.com/

I don't have personal experience with any of these, but hope they can be helpful for you. Wishing you the best!

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/2RSWm4.png

#3 of 7 Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of this, Chrisa! It's so appreciated. joy.gif

Our little boy was born early at 26 1/2 weeks on June 28/12!! Small but strong! joy.gif

#4 of 7 Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

My DD was born at 27 weeks, due to an infection, weighing 2lb 6oz.  She was in the NICU 80 days, overall uncomnplicated, and is now healthy and almost a year old (almost 9 months past her due date).  It is a long road, even being 'uncomplicated,' and that was the hardest part for me- how slow it all went.  Get a good bathrobe to wear around the NICU, pump a ton, do something you enjoy while pumping (like reading a magazine or watching TV) so you don't hate it any more than necessary, read a lot of books while in the NICU (I read some to myself but I also brought in Alice in Wonderland and The Wind in the Willows so I could read out loud to DD and not feel wierd about the content).  Eat well, make occasional dates with friends for lunch or something, try to get enough sleep (usually you can do one 6-hour stretch of not pumping at night and make up for it during the day).  If you really feel like you're falling apart, make sure you take a day where you cancel everything (except for skin-to-skin time) and SLEEP.  Otherwise.... take it one step at a time and feel free to ask any questions as they come up.  Every baby is SO different so it's hard to give any specific advise there.

#5 of 7 Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM

Hey there, my babe was born almost 6!? Years ago at almost 26 weeks. My best advice for you is make sure you take care of yourself. It's easy to get run down and forget about yourself when you are worried about your little one. And take lots of pictures! I had such a hard time looking at them but he is soooo proud of them and tells everyone his story. He is getting ready now for his 2 nd year of school and is an amazing wonderful happy thriving little man. We have a few lingering issues, mainly eye problems but nothing that can't be corrected. God bless , I hope your nicu journey is smooth
#6 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to you both! I'm realizing how different all the NICU experiences are, as you've said. Our little boy is growing bigger and stronger everyday, and we're hanging in. It's so great to hear success stories, and I'm glad your little ones are doing well too!

#7 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Good luck!

My former 28 weeker is 7w adjusted this week.  She's doing well, we're just working on convincing her to feed at the breast.  My life is spent pumping, it seems. 

Work diligently at establishing your supply.  Does your NICU have a pumping room or the ability to pump at the bedside?  Oh, and push for kangaroo care.  It's evidence-based and good for *both* of you (also good for the other parent!).

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page