Exasperated at the nurse right now. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-01-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have a preemie born at 2lb 10oz and 30 wks - she has been in the NICU for 7 weeks. Well they are moving her back and forth between bottle and tube. She gets the bottle every other feeding right now. At 4lb 10oz

Well today the nurse wasn't listening to me. 1st when I came in "don't wake the baby up until her touch time so she has energy to finish her bottle. - I sat there for an hour looking at my baby and wanting to hold her but afraid I would set her back. Then I though F*** that She needs human contact too and picked up and let her sleep in my arms. Well 1/2 hour 45 min before her scheduled feeding time, the baby starts giving hunger cues she is eating her fist and nuZzling my chest and starting to fuss. The nurse won't give me the bottle until feeding time because " she will be hungry to soon for the next feeding". when the baby starts crying I gave her the breast and let her nurse - which does quite well (grandmother of another patient even comments "look at her go, she is starving" ). Nurse walks in "mom, I wouldn't breastfeed her now because she won't finish her bottle". I think to myself well she isn't going to finish the bottle anyway if she gets too upset and it won't do her any good if she vomits because she is upset and squirming. Well she didn't finish the bottle in the 20min that they give her so the nurse takes the bottle away and tube feeds the rest of the bottle. I put her back to breast when she nurses on and off for another 15 min before falling aseelp.

I am concerned about 2 things - why does she have to finish the bottle in 20 min? Why can't she eat for 10 min then take a break and finish the bottle.?

If She is getting hungry before the next feeding - they just let her fuss? Does she need more food should I try talking to the MD about ordering a PRN feeding if she is exhibiting hunger cues?

What do you guys think - still upset and would like some more opinions before I go off half cocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Is there a lactation consultant you can talk to at the hospital? 

#3 of 3 Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If she's exhibiting hunger cues, definitely ask the MD about cue-based feeding.  And get the LC on your side, too.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

User Tag List