Help please! Paranoid! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help please! I am a mother of a 35 weeker who is currently in the nicu. I am so scared of him getting RSV or the flu. I had to go to the ER the other night and there were a bunch
Of sick kids so I left.. Now I am so paranoid that I got the flu
And may have exposed him to it before I had symptoms. I am with him everyday and spend a lot of time there to feed him.
Does anyone know if babies that young can make it if they get those sicknesses?
I am so upset!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 AM

Yes babies as young as 25 weeks make it through. You really have no need to worry... your baby is in the constant care of professionals and they deal with it all the time.

Most likely your worst case scenario would be a slightly longer nicu stay. But if you practised good hand washing even if you were actively sick you probably wouldn't spread it.

I know the nicu is scary.... my daughter (now 4) was a 33 weeker. My best advice is stay positive and don't let the doctors freak you out with their big words and grim possibilities.
#3 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

I worked in an emergency department and a primary care office while my daughter (27 weeker) was in the NICU (and when she got home, etc).  She didn't get sick until she was over 1 y.o. and we started hanging out with our friends who have kids (incl. school age kids) and by that point she coped with a cold just fine.  But I could also tell when she got a cold b/c she was first exposed to it, and she got a full-blown cold, versus when I got sick first and she caught it from me-- she never really got very sick then but she was getting pumped breastmilk so that was a big factor for us.  Certainly we adults can get sick from the general public but honestly it's not as common as getting sick from everyone passing around a baby, etc.  I still work in those settings and I get sick from my husband or my friends but not from patients.  So, keep an eye out for symptoms, and you can talk about it with the NICU staff, but don't loose sleep over it.

#4 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

The NICU usually puts you through a cleaning protocol that is apparently rigorous enough.  Keep in mind that most of the NICU babies run a course of antibiotics if not more than one.  Hugs, mama.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#5 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM

As a mom of two 35 weekers who spent 10 days in the nicu this season, I understand your paranoia. I had to take my DD to the pediatrician's sick waiting room while her sisters were in the nicu. When I talked to one of the nicu nurses about it, she told me that there were 145 babies there, and not one of them had flu/rsv despite being in a children's hospital, one of the germiest places ever. The handwashing system is very effective, and if you are anything like me, you are probably bathing in the hand gel that is everywhere. It's really unlikely that you passed anything to him. Are you still wearing a gown and gloves when you see him? If so, that's even more protection. 

Get some sleep, it's a hard place to be and there are lots of things to worry about. hug2.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM

I know how you feel. I had a 29 weeker who spent 3 months on the hospital right through RSV And flu season last year. Worst of all thre were 17 newborns with RSV in the same NICU unit. Talk about paranoid! But all the nurses did a good job of hand washing and wearing masks around the sick babies and to hopefully put your mind at ease a little bit, I saw several of those tiny babies with RSV get better and go home. Also for a preemie see if your baby qualifies for the Sinagis shot.
#7 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Definitely ask if your child qualifies for Synagis. 

I totally understand the paranoia, but I think you'll be okay.  Next time you need to go to the ER, ask for a mask, and explain that you have a preemie in the NICU and would like to be isolated from other patients as soon as possible.  Please don't hesitate to seek care for yourself - your baby needs you well and healthy! 

And I agree, even very small babies can recover from respiratory illnesses.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page