Natural iron for preemie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our neonatologist has prescribed iron supplement (Neferix drops - we're in Europe) for our babe, who is 10 weeks old, adjusted age 4 weeks.  I'd like to find a non-synthetic, crap-free (no preservatives, fillers, etc.) iron supplement for her instead and my research hasn't turned up anything.  Suggestions, please?!

Iron doesn't pass well through breastmilk, so me having an iron-rich diet isn't much help, so I'm told...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Anyone have a recommendation?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM

I wish I knew. I'm in the "pick your battles" mode about the iron supplements. I have pushed for a check of her iron levels during her last blood test to make sure she actually needs it. I'd like to have her off of it, soon.

Married to DH in 1999, Mother to Big N (2004), Mother to Little N (2005), Expecting our third in March (2013).

Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

I have decided to try an herbal iron tincture and then test her again after she has taken it for a few weeks.  Here's the link to what I'm purchasing: http://herblore.com/products/iron-tonic-tincture 

If I don't remember to write an update later this summer, can feel free to ask me down the road!  We won't receive this for another couple of weeks, so we'll probably test her again in mid-August...

Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM

I have been giving my son http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EXPNKY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 based on a recommendation from another local mama. We haven't had follow-up tests yet so I don't know how well it works, but it is completely tasteless.

User Tag List