• 1 Post By denisegrace
  • 1 Post By Ratchet

#1 of 2 Old 06-17-2014, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NG Tube Feed Preemie...

Hi,

I have a 4 mos old that was born at 34 weeks. He had hydrops and it is a miracle he is with us today! He still needs to be feed via NG tube and despite his strong desire to nipple, three different swallow studies indicate that he is silently aspirating when given much more than 30 ml via nipple. I am feeling frustrated and looking for some advice and insight from other parents that have been down this road before. The dr's keep saying that this is happening because of his prematurity, but I am worried there might be something else causing his silent aspiration. He also suffers from acid reflux.
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Haven't really BTDT, I had a 27-weeker, so NG tube, but could bottle feed poorly by her due date and pretty well 1-2 mo after that... But I think the swallow studied are a pretty good eval of anatomy; the other consideration that comes to mind (only b/c of my knowledge of when adults aspirated) would be if he has significant neuro abnormalities otherwise (like, aspiration wouldn't be the only other symptom). could you/ do you, for his own learning/experience, have him "dry nurse"? Like, suck after you've pumped and are empty? Or, if your not pumping, I imagine he enjoys a pacifier while being tube fed.
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page