Support for parents of preemies & NICU babies, #2 - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 284 Old 07-12-2006, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sam will be 3 months next week. Time flies, doesn't it?

She just started tearing up when she cries. I feel like such a crappy mama when I have to suck out her nose, or when her belly hurts because she's constipated and her eyes get all watery. Poor baby.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#272 of 284 Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 AM

I really need some help and support mammas...I am just sooo troubled right now!

You see, my baby girl Cynthia is also in the NICU...she was born May 15th at 27w3d. And now weighs 4lbs 6 ounces. (born at 2lbs 2 ounces)

Monday night when I was there, her female doctor (she has two, a female one and a male) came in and asked me, "so I guess you're excited right, getting to take her home on Wednesday?" And I looked at her and freaked! NO ONE told me she was coming home that soon, not a nurse, her PT, no one. But I was soo happy she was! She asked us to room in with her, sign her vaccination release (ahem, which I didn't btw! lol) and sign up for a cpr class. So DH and I made plans to room in with her the following night, participate in a infant CPR class Wednesday morning, and take her home, right?

Well Tuesday night comes and we walk into her isolation room, and unfold the cott the nurses gave us from peds, and lay down to sleep for three hours before her next feeding. She ate at midnight great, as did at 3, 6 and 9 am. Just great! The 9pm wasn't so hot, she took it all but 4ccs. But I think she was just too tired, because she was scheduled to eat 30 seconds after the physical therapist did her routine with her. I just feel like it was too much, you know? You can't expect a baby who isn't even considered term yet to be able to be awake for 20 minutes of PT and then be awake enough to remember how to eat! Arggh! At least the nurse didn't chart it (I begged her not to, I didn't need a reason NOT to take her home the next day!) as long as she made up the 4cc's later on in the night. (Which she did! ) I told myself, when she comes home, she will not be disturbed and awakened prior to a feeding until she is strong enough to handle both!

Our nurse came in after her 3am feed, to check on her and write down her stats, and one of which was a temp check. Her temp was okay...she was chilly (we thought from just being changed and having her little chest exposed while her onesie was open) but we just added another blanket and thought everything was fine.

After our CPR class the next morning, the woman doctor comes in and tells us her temp last night was suspicious, and tells us, "I guess I got your hopes up telling you she could come home soon." She wont be coming home till Monday (at the earliest) because of it! They think she could be getting sick. If they thought that, why aren't they running any tests to confirm?

I just dont get it! Her temp would have been FINE if if her temp wasn't taken at that time. And when I called last night and spoke to the same nurse who had her Tuesday night she said, "but her temp was fine! Yes she was a little cold, but when I took her temp she just got a diaper change and her onesie she had just been changed!" So the nurse doesn't get it, either. (and her temp last night was also fine!)

I also spoke to the male doctor, and he said, "her temperature on the low side, but was within range." What the heck?

I just want my baby home, I want to be her mom! Is there anything I can do?
#273 of 284 Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 AM

Oh gosh so sorry They played that game with me also, not with the temp though. Really i'm not sure what you can do? i don't know how the chain of command works, but go to her boss? explain situation, the nurse agrees, the other male says within range and only based on one temp? that is total bs. i mean how was her temp after, if it was fine then whats the big deal. It's hard to butt heads in the NICU obvsiously because you just don't want them to give you a hassle especially in these times. I wish i had better advice i really do, maybe someone else will.
#274 of 284 Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 PM

We had a similar situation with Sam. Her temp dropped dramatically after she had a test performed in the sterile wing of the hospital. She was naked laying on a table in a 65 degree room for 20 minutes, and barely weighed 4 pounds. The nurse noted why her temp was low, and then took it again a few hours later. One of the nurses tried to tell us that we couldn't hold her because she'd had a low temp, but I called the attending physician and had them talk to the nurse. So sorry, mama.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#275 of 284 Old 07-13-2006, 12:24 PM

Oh I'm so sorry. We failed the carseat test twice before she passed it and we got to bring her home. I cried the rest of the day, both times. I can't even imagine waiting as long as you have only to have your hopes dashed! I hope that Monday you get to have her with you at last.
#276 of 284 Old 07-13-2006, 03:23 PM

Good luck, Cyneburh! Here's hoping baby stays put just a little bit longer!

#277 of 284 Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 PM

Beth, I hope you get your baby home soon.

We had a similar incident where we were coming to get the babies and then they told us we couldn't take them home. Why? because Gedalya failed his hearing test. . . I was upset beyond belief and went in and took my babies anyway.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#278 of 284 Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM

Kimber- hope your baby is still baking
#279 of 284 Old 07-21-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
Today we have premiee follow up clinic. I bought 5 copies of the book "No bigger than my teddy bear" and "Breastfeeding your premature Baby" to give to the nurses for other families. The first book really helped explain everything to dd1 about the nicu. So she can distribute them or leave them in the waiting room. I also have all these leftover supplies for monitors and O2 etc that are expensive and you have to pay for so she can give those away as well. And to top it off- a $600 rx (we paid $100 w insur) for caffiene that Maggie never used because right after we filled it, she got taken off. So Since its not touched open etc, she has a baby already who can use it who dosent have med insurance or qualify for public aid who can use it. Its amazing how much waste there is in medicine.
I've been looking for a place to donate our caffeine to. We have over $800 worth of it! As long as the metal safety seal ring on top isn't opened it's still donatable? We also have a case of Neosure that was sent to us but we don't use that either. I'm trying to donate this stuff but I'm having a hard time finding a place that will take it.
#280 of 284 Old 07-21-2006, 08:12 AM

the nurse practicioner who runs the follow up clinic suggested I donate it to them. Does Marlow have to go to follow up after the nicu? See if thats an option. I could maybe put you in touch w them but who knows...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#281 of 284 Old 07-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Kimber,
I saw on the other thread that you gave birth. Your baby was nearly 34 weeks, is that right? How is she doing? How are you mama? Let us know if there are questions we can answer for you, support we can give you, heck I'll bet some of us still have preemie clothes and diapers we can send!
#282 of 284 Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneburh
I'm definitely going through the ups and downs of being a NICU parent though. It's the being taken on and off oral feeds that is hard.
That is sooo true. So sorry about all you have been thru. I would be also upset about the additional surgery even if it had to be done. I dont think some of these DRs realize how beaten down us nicu parents are. Esp in the thick of it like you are and the emotional rollar coaster. i think if it was discussed ahead of time or if someone said something during the surgery it would have been fine. I am thinking of you as all the nicu parents.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#283 of 284 Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Kimber, , I just wanted to say that I think it's unconscionable for the nurses to discourage you from touching your own baby. You shouldn't be scared away from your son, you have every right to be protective of him.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#284 of 284 Old 07-26-2006, 02:25 PM

Oh mama, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Honestly, this is one of those events in life that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Gentle, protective nurse or not, HOLD YOUR BABY! He needs your touch more than anything at the moment. Even if you can't take him out of his isolette, at least put your hands in there and touch your beautiful boy.

Good luck navigating these terrible waters, and if you need anything, know that we'll all move heaven and earth to help you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page