acidophilus after antibiotics: 10 day old NICU baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD was born 10 days ago. She spent 7 days in the NICU for pneumonia with aspiration of meconium. Among other treatments, she received a 5 day course of antibiotics (gentimycin and ampicillin). Her stomach was suctioned to remove meconium for the first two days. She recieved IV fluids exclusively until her third day, when she was put to breast and given small amounts (starting at about 10cc) of my expressed milk through an NG tube. Once it was determined that she didn't have any damage to her digestive system, she was allowed to feed at will.

Although certainly not collicky, she does seem to have uncomfortable gas and liquid stools that concern me because they are getting in the way of her feeding. It is often difficult to get her to latch on until we find the right position (that being the one that releases gas/stool... at which point she stops arching her back and crying and settles in for a good meal until the next time).

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any opinions on helping her intestinal flora with acidophilus? Probiotics?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Kairn
#2 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 02:40 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this! My DS was in the NICU for the first four days with suspected meconium inhalation, and it was so hard and stressful. Good for you for getting her on the breast.

As you're probably aware, watch out for yeast/thrush with the antibiotics. We got it bad, and it was really hard to clear up. I used probiotics (a powder for kids, I believe made by Country Life) mixed with breastmilk in a bottle (long story, but it took awhile to get him to the breast after the IV). You can also just rub it around the baby's mouth. I don't believe there are any contraindications.

Also with the gas, some babies get gassy when they get too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Are you letting her have as much time as she wants at one breast without switching her off at a predetermined time?

Good luck, and I hope she gets to come home soon!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 5 Old 01-06-2003, 02:43 PM

My son last year had the same problem but was in NICU for 17 days for meconium then a infection of some type. Was on antibiotics for all 17 days, lung collapsed first night was intibated. etc.

Anyway, once I began pumping (right after his birth) I ate yogurt and lots of it. He didn't have the gas or anything like that, latched on good. I also quit eating foods that are high in yeast, like bread, pasta, etc. I don't drink milk. I cut out all foods that people tend to have allergies to. wheat, diary, soy, peanuts.

He seemed to do really well. after several months of my restricted diet I gradually added foods back in with no reaction. I stayed on the yogurt for several months just a precaution.

I also refused all vax for him. If the gut is having trouble it is advisable not to vax.

As your child gets older he will probably be very prown to getting any infection like a cold will settle in the lungs. I suggest beginning cranio-sacral therapy to help the baby tissues heal better. Also drink chick weed tea. It is very high in calcium and will also help in aiding to heal the tissues.
#4 of 5 Old 01-07-2003, 01:55 PM

This is the one I like:
http://www.naturesway.com/products_c...details_id=131

You also might consider taking a zinc & selenium supplement yourself, just to make sure she's getting enough in her milk. Some people also get some extra fatty acids going, both omega-3 & omega-6.

It can take a while to completely fix that situation, sometimes gradual improvement happens for up to a year, so be patient & don't stop your probiotic.
#5 of 5 Old 01-12-2003, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I read them right away, but I'm still getting used to the idea of typing with only one hand. (Right now DD is asleep across my lap, so I have the luxury of two hands for a moment!)

Just in case anyone searches the discussion archives like I did, I thought I would post what I have learned. Although acidophilus is not harmful to infants, it is not native either. Lactobacillus bifidus is recommended. This usually comes combined with acidophilus, anyway. We got capsules from a naturopath in town. We open them and sprinkle the powder on my nipple. (It looks like we're trying to get her hooked on cocaine!)

It's only been two days, but she seems to be more comfortable already.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page