Child is in the NICU - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-16-2005, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can I produce more milk at each pumping??? I am only able to breast feed MAYBE once a day, depending on my daughters energy level. I am using a hospital issue duel pump. I am afraid sense I am not getting the stimulation from my dd on atleast a daily basis that my milk may start to deplete. Please help.
#2 of 9 Old 12-16-2005, 11:50 PM

Are you keeping on a schedule? I pumped for at least 20 minutes every 3 hours if this is for a newborn. If you're trying to increase output you'll need to do it throughout the night as well. You could also try "super pumping" if you are up for it. It's pump 10 minutes, off 10 minutes for about an hour once for 2 days and see if that helps. Of course, make sure you are staying well hydrated, getting at least 8 hours rest, and try eating oatmeal.
#3 of 9 Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 PM

Sorry to hear your little one is in NICU.

Maybe try looking at a photo of your child while you pump.
#4 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

20 Min? See I pump for 10 min. And my milk has stopped flowing after 5 I just keep the pump going thinking it will make me make more milk. I could do 20 min 3 times a day like every other pump time. It would be hard to be tied to a pump for 20 min with my other two running around. But I will give that a try... Thank you
#5 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 01:26 AM

Its good to pump even when no milk is coming out. It actually helps because it tells the body that you need to make more milk. It will pay off - I promise!

I know it can be hard to pump for 20 mins at a time while chasing two small ones but really it is critical! Can a friend help you some? Is your DH good at wrangling the older 2?

If you can do 20 or even 30 mins at least 3 times per day and 10-15 minutes another 3 times/day that would be great. PM me if you want some other thoughts about increasing supply.

Hang in there - I am sorry that you're having to deal with this.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#6 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssteier
20 Min? See I pump for 10 min. And my milk has stopped flowing after 5 I just keep the pump going thinking it will make me make more milk. I could do 20 min 3 times a day like every other pump time. It would be hard to be tied to a pump for 20 min with my other two running around. But I will give that a try... Thank you

Don't forget you will get more than one letdown if you keep going, so keep trying it! Maybe even ry 25-30!
#7 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 08:57 AM

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#8 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 09:23 AM

Hi, My twins were in the NICU 5 years ago (can't believe it's been so long!)

I second the suggestion of power pumping - just try it and see if it helps
Quote:
If you are exclusively pumping, try a round of “power pumping” -- use your breast pump for twenty minutes, stop for twenty minutes. Repeat -- pump for twenty minutes, stop for twenty minutes, and then repeat a third time. This will provide one hour of pumping in a two-hour period. Then resume your regular pumping schedule. Some mothers find this provides a jump-start to their milk production, much as an infant going through a growth spurt would ask to feed more frequently. Try power pumping twice a week for long-term maintenance of supply when exclusively pumping.
I also second the seggestion of getting up one time at night - prolactin is at it's highest then and you should be able to pump more... plus first thing in the morning was always a good pumping session for me...

and finally, just get her home once you start to NURSE her your supply will increase, though it may take time. Nothing makes milk like breastfeeding

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#9 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 09:28 AM

oh and instead of pumping longer try throwing one more pumping session in there....

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page