Preemie/NICU sub-forum or sticky? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st

I guess we were considered high maitence too then. Funny I saw his book and thought- Great we would have never survivied w out the Baby book so this will be great. Wrong!

DH thinks it needs a new edition and it hasnt been updated w the times.

There is a story out today about the growing amount of premature births. The news showed our nicu and had Maggie's Dr on. Watching the couple who live 2 blocks away from me talk and seeing the isolette and all those noises etc sent both of us into a crying fit. I guess its still more raw than I thought
Interestingly, our neighbors 3 doors down also had a 34 weeker a couple of weeks after we did. We thought maybe there was something in the water. We even had our water tested afterwards. We never found out why Marlow was born early.

I'm so grateful for you putting your NICU thread in our DDC. Without it I would have felt so much more isolated.

My DH and I were watching a hospital show on PBS the other night and the DSAT monitor went off on the show and my husband started crying and I had that sick panicky feeling I used to get in the NICU and he made me change the channel. Those beeping alarms are forever stuck in our minds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 08:11 PM

Kimber, have you reaccumulated any fluid? Have the doctors given you your AFI? I'm rooting for you! I made it 10 weeks between my rupture and ds's birth, but his lungs were quite stunted because I didn't have a lot of fluid. Feel free to PM me anytime!

And, once again, I am wondering why this need (very obviously a need) hasn't been addressed.

Mandy

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:32 PM

Just giving this thread a bump. I really need it now. I've been dealing with nap issues with the girls (10-20 minute cat naps, overtired, fussy, arms-only) and was reading The Baby Book and NCSS and they both have charts on the average # of naps and hours babes need based on age. So, do I use cga or chronological age?

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 07-20-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneburh
Thank you!

They're talking induction because of the risk of infection from PROM between 34 and 35 weeks. I'm hoping to hold out a little beyond and make it to 36 weeks. Or at least into the 35th week. But I've decided to start advocating for that after I get to that point. It's just not worth it to advocate for it now since realistically I could go into labor at any point between now and then.
How are you doing Kimber?

My 35 week 5 day baby came home from the hospital with me so I would try to hold out as long as possible I wish you the best of luck
Old 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM

here is the NICU Maggie was at and the Dr is her Dr.
http://cbs2chicago.com/health/local_...194164354.html

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 07-20-2006, 08:16 PM

Miraim- i'd use their adjusted age. Sorry about short naps and all, you must be so tired

Wondering why no answer on our requests? I saw that artists got a subforum after only 2 pages of requests. Nutrition got 4 new subforums. Here we have some moms in desperate need of support and we don't have a sub-forum? Honestly I feel a bit sad about that. A lot of the big "mainstream" boards have a seperate board for preemie/nicu issues and really I think it is vital that a commutity such as mothering should have one also, as it's really hard for us moms that follow this lifestyle to get any support on certain issues that pertain to a nfl lifestyle on the other "mainstream" boards.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM

Thanks Laura! That's what I was thinking since we use cga for developmental things and the body needs those naps to get to the developmental stages. We do great at night now (7-8ish bedtime and up at 7-8 with 1 night feeding). They just get so sleepy during the day.

I hav to say that I'm pretty disappointed in MDC about this. When you browse through the board, it seems like some of the boards could easily be done without but something that is such a big part of life for a lot of people is just ignored. Its not like I'm thinking "Well, my girls are preemies, but now that they are out of the NICU everything is normal and I can forget about it," because I can't. Everything I read, hear or talk about, I have to figure out cga or chronological? Then add or subtract 6 weeks if cga. Not to mention extra appointments, dealing with insurance and paperwork, and figuring out what things you should do for your preemie that you never dreamed of doing with a full-term baby. <<<sigh>>> It is something I knew I would have to deal with, but never thought it would be so tough.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid
I hav to say that I'm pretty disappointed in MDC about this. When you browse through the board, it seems like some of the boards could easily be done without but something that is such a big part of life for a lot of people is just ignored. Its not like I'm thinking "Well, my girls are preemies, but now that they are out of the NICU everything is normal and I can forget about it," because I can't. Everything I read, hear or talk about, I have to figure out cga or chronological? Then add or subtract 6 weeks if cga. Not to mention extra appointments, dealing with insurance and paperwork, and figuring out what things you should do for your preemie that you never dreamed of doing with a full-term baby. <<<sigh>>> It is something I knew I would have to deal with, but never thought it would be so tough.
Add to the list- rxs, after care appts, adjusted age when and when not, early intervention.....

Who is the mod? Can we PM her or Cynthia?? I would love to get this up and going its so simple and can be part of birth & beyond or right after that.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 07-21-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid
Thanks Laura! That's what I was thinking since we use cga for developmental things and the body needs those naps to get to the developmental stages. We do great at night now (7-8ish bedtime and up at 7-8 with 1 night feeding). They just get so sleepy during the day.

My preemies slept a lot (all of the time) for the first 3 months after birth. actually with baby #3 he only opened his eyes half a dozen times before 8 weeks
Old 07-22-2006, 02:41 AM

I spent half the day looking for a preemie AIO.
I found one that is in the 2-4lb range.
http://www.preemie.com/get_item_kuu060.htm
What a nice sticky that would make.

Now has anyone here CD in the NICU/PCN? Will hospitals allow it? How do you deal with the I&O?
Hmm... would make for an interesting thread...
Old 07-22-2006, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmom
Miraim- i'd use their adjusted age. Sorry about short naps and all, you must be so tired

Wondering why no answer on our requests? I saw that artists got a subforum after only 2 pages of requests. Nutrition got 4 new subforums. Here we have some moms in desperate need of support and we don't have a sub-forum? Honestly I feel a bit sad about that. A lot of the big "mainstream" boards have a seperate board for preemie/nicu issues and really I think it is vital that a commutity such as mothering should have one also, as it's really hard for us moms that follow this lifestyle to get any support on certain issues that pertain to a nfl lifestyle on the other "mainstream" boards.
I feel especially bad for the mom's with new preemies since the search function is disabled (how long has it been down now ?) I spent as much time as I could here searching for info on preemies, pumping for preemies, kangaroo care, etc while my daughter was in the nicu. I'm an experienced mom and already had 11 years of nursing under my belt, but preemies are different (I ended up pumping for 6 weeks and felt close to giving up at one point) It's got to be very hard to find helpful info now that the search isn't working

My daughter is going on 8 months old now. This post/request was started when she was around 6 weeks old.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 AM

We didn't CD in the NICU, but we did as soon as we got home. It was too hard to think about it with all the other stuff that was going on, and by the time we realized we needed preemie sizes and we ordered them and they shipped, it was basically time for her to come home. She came home in a sposie and hasn't worn one since! We mostly used preemie prefolds at first though, since they were so much less expensive and we knew that they would be quickly outgrown.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:32 AM

nak

We cd from the moment we checked Maggie out. I had a huge stash I was building over the mos for June. I then ordered x small fuzzis and just these past weeks she outgrew them. Just sold last night on ebay

Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 AM

no way i would have cd in the nicu, mainly because i was just too busy going back and forth, and just trying to keep up with regular laundry was almost impossible. our house was an utter disaster during those months.

Quote:
My daughter is going on 8 months old now. This post/request was started when she was around 6 weeks old.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:41 PM

So why no forum??? I think ya'll deserve your own forum. I think it's ENOUGH to have to deal with, having a birth that was, perhaps, not what you imagined/expected, then having to deal with NICU people, nicu time, nicu breastfeeding, pumping, etc., THEN not having your baby with you at home, and THEN having to watch that little baby with tubes and iv's and all kinds of invasive stuff have spells, low points etc... I HONESTLY think it's ENOUGH! HAVE YOUR OWN FORUM!!!!! I wonder why someone would NOT want you to? Interesting...

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
Old 07-22-2006, 01:07 PM

I thought of another one;

How to explain to the pulmonologist that, the pulse-ox sleep study WILL fail because your 6 month old (3 1/2 months adj.) doesn't sleep through the night and, WON'T be anytime soon!:

Like any six month old would keep perfectly still for 8 hours with a sensor taped to their foot anyway!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:44 PM

Wow, I've just been reading along on this thread and waiting for the preemie folder to appear to begin posting but yikes, it doesn't seem like its coming any time soon. So, hugs to those mamas who are still in the trenches

Ds came only 6 weeks early but with zero warning. As in, my water broke waking me from a dead sleep and suddenly less than 24 hours later there he was in my arms. I spent several days in shock. Literally.

I feel very lucky that our experience went as well as it did but boy did could I have used some support. No one in my family knew anything about preemies and their care. Most books out there focused on micropreemies so talked about things that didn't apply in our situation but at the same time he certainly wasn't a wide-awake full term baby either. So in our case, I really needed some btdt stories.

I think another major need for a preemie section centers on how their needs differ from full term babies because info passed on by mamas who don't have experience with a preemie aren't always appropriate. I'm thinking of feeding/breastfeeding issues for example. Really, its just a different situation with different sets of practices and needs.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:30 PM

psst, check out the new subforum of life with a babe.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
psst, check out the new subforum of life with a babe.
now if they could move some of the old threads about preemies there once the search function is fixed, that would be awesome
Old 07-22-2006, 09:08 PM

Oh, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!: It means so much to me that preemie parents will be able to find good info so easily!
Now, off to do my part!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 AM

Thank You!

User Tag List