Synagis? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 56 Old 09-26-2006, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow, it's a good thing I came to this thread late... there was another thread on Synagis right in the begining that got moved... our drifter was a gem on that thread too. People just don't get it.

We got synagis from Nov - April (CA) and will get it again this year. ds still has respitory issues and even though he will be 2 in Feb, being ventilated and being born so early, well, it definately took a toll.

But, we were really isolated last winter, and ds still got a few colds (7!) but none requiring breathing treatments, and definately not RSV. We also got the flu shot.

This summer we've been no-holds-barred on the germs, and ds got a few doozy colds which required breathing treatments, but nothing too horrible. This winter, we'll be going on semi-lockdown, getting synagis and the flu shot again, and won't rest again until April.

RSV is one scary virus - even for full term kids.

You know, I think it's funny when people state that it hasn't been tested on preemies - it's been tested on EVERY preemie I know, and the results are great. As for not knowing if it causes death or neurolgoical issues and not tested on pregnant women - well, it's like saying it hasn't been tested on horses and cats. I think they'd have to say the same thing about artificial sweetners. absurd.

hugs to everyone who was pissed off. Ignore that person - we know what's best for OUR kids, and don't need any ignorant narrow minded fool giving vulnerable people bad (really bad) advice.

stella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 09-26-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinvillageiowa View Post
Sorry to join this thread so late, but what are the qualifications for getting the shots? Would my twins qualify if they were born right around 36 weeks? I always am getting colds and am sick and I would just die if I got one of them sick with RSV.
Well only one of my twins (born at 35 weeks 6 days) qualified. He was born with lungs that weren't mature and spent time on the vent along with getting serfactant (I don't think I spelled that correctly). His twin was born fine. However both qualify now until age 3.
#33 of 56 Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kondonis View Post
You know, I think it's funny when people state that it hasn't been tested on preemies - it's been tested on EVERY preemie I know, and the results are great. As for not knowing if it causes death or neurolgoical issues and not tested on pregnant women - well, it's like saying it hasn't been tested on horses and cats. I think they'd have to say the same thing about artificial sweetners. absurd.
Agreed! Synagis is *mostly* given to preemies. The only full term babies that get it are ones with lung/heart issues at birth, as far as I know. So hasn't been tested on preemies? It's tested on preemies everyday! And when I was doing my research (because I researched this pretty fully when DS got out of the NICU and we were getting close to RSV season), I could not find any *serious* adverse effects of this product. With vaccines, you can find everything from brain injury to death, but for Synagis, all I found was upper respiratory infections. And as has been stated repeatedly, RSV is a LOWER respiratory infection and much more dangerous than upper respiratory infections to a baby born with immature lungs.

And why should I care if Synagis hasn't been tested in pregnant women? My preemie isn't getting pregnant anytime soon, even if he were a woman!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#34 of 56 Old 09-26-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid View Post
If you want to talk about this with some of us, feel free to start a thread. I know technically it is a breastfeeding forum thing, but maybe those of us who "know" you can give you some ideas if you are open to them.

P.S. the ignore button is an awesome function.
Thanks, but I have unfortunately researched and tried everything over the past month, trust me. If you look back there's even a thread that turned into pumping tips for me. After that thread I changed the one thing I hadn't been doing which was to only go 5 hours between sessions at night (I was going 7). Even that didn't work. My body just isn't working the way I think it should. : It's just time for me to admit defeat.

And I hadn't noticed the ignore button before oops

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#35 of 56 Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 PM

My daughter got Synagis for 2 seasons. She qualified for the second season since my older daughter attended preschool at the time. If you are particularly concerned, talk to your ped, they can usually help you decide if the second season is useful or not and find a way for insurance to cover it if you choose to do it.

And Knitting in the Shade....
#36 of 56 Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 PM

Preemie mommies

Just want to let you know for those who don't go to the Vax forum or those who are new here that there have been TONS and TONS of threads about Synagis and I personally did HOURS worth of research on PubMed on at least one of them. These threads always go badly. Always. Some well meaning but uninformed asshat always comes on and says fresh air and sunshine and washing the hands well with Dr. Bronner's is all that's needed to prevent RSV, and if you get it what's the big deal with a little runny nose and cough because squirt a little breastmilk in the nose and give a teaspoon of organic flaxseed oil and you're back in business UGH!

Go do a search of MDC of Synagis and hopefully the threads will come up. The one I posted a jillion links on was closed : because it got going like this one is and all that good research went with it :

But in summary, not only have I done my research and then some, but my career is in drug safety and I have over 10 years of experience working with commerical pharma and FDA on this (and I'm going to come back here and delete that in a few hours because I don't like what I do "out there" in cyberspace) and after thorough research (including sources only I and a few others have access to) I gave my 31 week preemie twins Synagis without batting an eyelash. They and my latest child are unvaxed. They have never had antibiotics. They have fevers that reach 104.5 and I don't give Tylenol. I treat their ear infections myself with garlic mullein oil and Vitamin C. They eat organic and whole foods. We have a "green" house. And you know what? I STILL GAVE THEM THE DAMN SYNAGIS and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had another "real" preemie.

to everyone who has to justify your existence and decisions to people who have never walked a mile in your shoes.
#37 of 56 Old 09-27-2006, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, Periwinkle. I posted this thread and am interested in all views on the subject. Thanks for your honest opinion!!
#38 of 56 Old 10-21-2006, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What is it, is there a link to information about it? benefits/risks?

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
#39 of 56 Old 10-21-2006, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Your best bet on the internet is probably to google it. I don't know of any great websites to recommend, though. Ask your ped. as well. It is not a vaccine. It is a shot made with antibodies from a person who is more resistant to RSV (at least this is my understanding from what my ped. told me.). You have to be approved for it.
#40 of 56 Old 10-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jule924 View Post
It is a shot made with antibodies from a person who is more resistant to RSV (at least this is my understanding from what my ped. told me.).
I think it's actually made from antibodies from horses. They inject horses with RSV, then pull out the antibodies and make the Synagis from that. Or so I heard/read somewhere.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#41 of 56 Old 10-21-2006, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I wonder if it contains Mercury, someone told me it can lead to autism

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
#42 of 56 Old 10-21-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
I wonder if it contains Mercury, someone told me it can lead to autism
I do believe it is mercury free.
http://www.medimmune.com/pdf/products/synagis_pi.pdf
#43 of 56 Old 10-21-2006, 11:13 PM

Synagis is 100% mercury free. Meaning, not only is it not used as a preservative, but it is not used at any stage during the product's manufacture.
#44 of 56 Old 10-24-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
I think it's actually made from antibodies from horses. They inject horses with RSV, then pull out the antibodies and make the Synagis from that. Or so I heard/read somewhere.
Actually it is a monoclonal antibody so it's all produced in a lab using cultures of cells. It is produced from animals but mice (I think). Here's a site that explains the basics of monoclonal antibodies. http://www.accessexcellence.org/RC/A..._Antibody.html
#45 of 56 Old 10-25-2006, 09:53 PM

My 32 weekers qualified their first year for Synagis only because ds was diagnosed with BPD, and I was so thankful (still, we didn't leave the house until late April). We don't qualify this year and I am a little freaked out because my friend's baby had it at the age of nine months and died at the age of 16 months--the doctor who did the autopsy confirmed that she died of undiagnosed asthma that was likely a result of the RSV infection she had as an infant. She was born at full-term. I am not one to take chances with my kids and, for me, the chances of them having an adverse effect (which they never did) from Synagis was BY FAR preferrable to the possible alternative.
#46 of 56 Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 PM

Yes we are doing the Synagis as well now. My twins were born at 35 weeks and my insurance is covering the $25,000.00 that it will cost. I have one in preschool and a 2 year old who goes to lots of playgroups so I can see snotty noses coming our way this winter.
#47 of 56 Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 PM

congrats on your twins! I guess it would be 25K with two needing them!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#48 of 56 Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 AM

I feel so fortunate to have found this thread. My second boy just couldn't wait for his due date and thus created his own three and a half months early on 8.20.06. I was so completely unprepared for all this. (First son was a home water birth). Bad, bad lung issues among other things. . . Harrased about vaxing by the hospital staff ( exhaustive research and soul searching leaves me with another firm no on this issue ) however the damn synagis! I have read every study I can track down, listened to my favorite nurses suck it up about the Vax issue, but implore me to go for the synagis shots. I have been so back and forth. He is getting my milk and is still a while away from coming home. Yet my three year old is in preschool. . .
You ladies and your advice here has been a God send. I feel actually OK about the Synagis now. It still worries and discusts me I will be having my
3lb boy injected with rat/mice cells and other junkus, but I never would have imagined a 25 weeker who got as sick as my boy did would be here now, and thriving at that. Thanks again for helping me make this extremely tough call.
#49 of 56 Old 11-07-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarenLisbeth View Post
You ladies and your advice here has been a God send. I feel actually OK about the Synagis now. It still worries and discusts me I will be having my
3lb boy injected with rat/mice cells and other junkus, but I never would have imagined a 25 weeker who got as sick as my boy did would be here now, and thriving at that. Thanks again for helping me make this extremely tough call.
And Welcome to you! I can 100% relate to what you have gone thru with my own 24 weeker. And I did the same you did- researched researched reasearched!! I delay vax which is like talking in chinese to the nicu staff but they were very receptive to my reasoning and gave me theirs as well.
One thing we did as Maggie is also our second, like your boy is- we were very upfront from the word go about our parenting beliefs. We explained that we use AP, exclusive breast feed etc. But we did it in a way to make the nicu staff feel we are all on the same team and we all worked together.

But getting back to this: I am doing it because I have a 4 yr old, Maggie went home on O2, and I have seen preemies have to go back to the hospital w RSV and God knows what else they could pick up there.
I look forward to seeing you more on this board.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#50 of 56 Old 11-08-2006, 12:10 PM

We also keep a stash of healthy aids on hand, Maggie is slinging where ever she goes, always has, she breastfeeds etc. She received her first shot yesterday.

#51 of 56 Old 11-08-2006, 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=Cyneburh;6478510]We don't vax, we were approved for it by insurance for our son but we decided to decline it.

I am however keeping a good supply of sodium ascorbate around,

What is sodium ascorbate?
#52 of 56 Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 PM

it's vit c, no?

Well, I have to say that I am incredibly glad that we decided to do the synagis with Rusty. He was born 6 weeks early on 10.3.06, and last week two of my older boys and I got sick - nasty snotty nose, etc. Rusty started having snuffly nose on sunday, took him to ped on monday, did the snot test, it's definitely RSV. He's been a bit fussy and we've been doing nebulizer treatments with him, but his lungs are staying clear, thank God. I definitely credit the synagis with keepign him out of the hospital.
#53 of 56 Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 AM

Hi,

My son was born at 29 weeks, due to HELLP syndrome, but his lungs were shockingly fully developed. Even the Doctors were shocked. I received a phone call today from my son's pediatrician, stating my son qualifies for the Synagis Shot and that it is recommended for babies born with premature lungs, however my son's were fine. My husband and I have been struggling with deciding on when and what vaccines are best to get, and now this other medication that I really don't know what is in it is being thrown at us and we need to make a decision, as it's September and they need to start them. I felt a little pressured almost from his pedi that I really had no choice whether or not he'd get it because of how she talked about it. I was wondering other's opinions on their interactions with their Pedi's regarding this shot and if anyone has any input on getting it or skipping it depending on how far developed the babies lungs were when born...any input is much appreciated!

#54 of 56 Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Synagis is an immune globulin shot, not a vaccine, and it helps prevent babies from getting RSV.  My DD qualified for only two shots, but I was glad to have it, and would do it again. 

#55 of 56 Old 09-17-2013, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
My daughter was born at 27 weeks, came home from the NICU end of October and we did synagis. No problems with it. We vaccinate generally, too (again, not that it is a vaccine, but still...). Your sons lungs may have been capable of breathing on their own at 29 weeks, but I'm SURE they were not the same as a full term baby's lungs. My daughter has no ongoing respiratory issues. When she finally got RSV when she was about 1-1/2, she was SO sick. She didn't get hospitalized but we took her to her pedi 3 times in 4 days, just to get her checked out. That's pretty typical for RSV, I think. YouR baby's immune system is so fragile right now, he needs any help he can get! (IMO).
#56 of 56 Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 AM

We got the synagis shots for my 29weeker.  I think there are two issues to think about 1) lungs, even preemies with good lungs are weaker than full term babies; 2) immune system, as it was explained to me, all preemies have weakened immune systems.  In addition to doing the shots, we also kept our daughter in very strict quarantine until that first RSV season was over-and we didn't have other children, so that made it easier.  We all stayed incredibly healthy that winter.

I find that now, even though my daughter is almost three, she still gets sick easily and gets sicker than other kids.  Looking back, I'm really glad we did the shots because I can't imagine seeing her so sick when she was only a few months old. 

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page