Are preemies more gassy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2006, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is ebf and 38wks 1 day right now after being born at 33wks 1 day. He is really super gassy, and I'm wondering if this is just more common in preemies, or if maybe he's sensitive to something in my diet. He is really hard to get a burp out of at times, so maybe this is the cause?

I'm rather attached to my milk products, so figured if this was something normal in preemies and would likely disappear in the next few weeks or month then I wouldn't worry about looking for another cause. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2006, 07:44 PM

I found that with my guys there were definitely times that they were gassier, so it was probably something I ate--but it didn't seem to bother them, so I didn't worry about it. I totally hear you on the tough to burp thing! The Happiest Baby on the Block has a good burping technique that worked for us when nothing else would.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:56 PM

Sydney is really gassy too - but she gets both formula (neosure/enfacare) and expressed breastmilk.

I really need to get that book Happiest Baby on the Block - this is the third time I've heard that book recommended this week I read it way back when I first got pregnant but I don't remember a lot of it.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Campbell was really gassy, we used Gripe Water.
She also spit up/spits up ALOT.

born at 32wks
now is almost 5months

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 11-17-2006, 11:00 PM

Lilly and Kate were super gassy for a long time. It definitely declined as time went on, but even today, we say that Katie's rapper name is Farty-K. ;-)

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Mine's a gas basket...I use Mylicon though...I used it throughout my pregnancy too though...I always thought it was just my genes.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:17 PM

I'd have to say emma way WAYYYYYYY more gassy than my full term kiddos. I think it's the whole immature system.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, Aaron (born 36w6d) seems to be just as gassy as Joshua (born 29w4d) was. So I dunno. Part of Joshua's problem was reflux, which is very common in preemies. I think Aaron may have it as well though.

I'm rather attached to milk products too. :

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 11-19-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
Sydney is really gassy too - but she gets both formula (neosure/enfacare) and expressed breastmilk.

I really need to get that book Happiest Baby on the Block - this is the third time I've heard that book recommended this week I read it way back when I first got pregnant but I don't remember a lot of it.
Sarah, I've got a copy that I don't need anymore since I've memorized it, LOL! PM me your address and I'll send it your way
Old 11-19-2006, 04:09 PM

my daughter was a preemie too (she is 3.5 years old now!), but your post caught my eye on the main board. My advice is to eliminate dairy. I did eventually and wish I had done is sooner. She was soooo much happier after I did. During the first 6 months of life, a babies small intestines are highly permeable, to allow the maximum absorption of breastmilk, and antibodies. During this "leaky gut" period, the baby is most vulnerable to developing allergies. If your child is passing a lot of gas, he is likely also having at least some pain from it. I have done a lot of research on the subject and talked with allergists and it turns out that the cows milk protein is very difficult to digest for young children (and isn't designed for them to digest) and it does pass through your breastmilk. Ironically, in the NICU the ped. told me that she was allergic to milk based on the way she was responding to the formula supplementation she was getting (my milk didn't come in for awhile despite round the clock pumping). so they gave her some special formula. although i didn't realize the milk protein would be passed through my breastmilk! noone told me that. she was exclusively breastfed after she got out of the nicu and i had dairy in my diet, she had gas, cried a lot and had sandpapery skin, and if i had a lot of dairy, she even got diarhea. i made the connection one day and eliminated all dairy and all her symptoms went away. i also later learned that her sandpapery skin, which looked normal, but felt dry, was eczema, was was incredibly uncomfortable for her and very itchy. i met with an allergist and he explained the whole thing and said when she was older i could give her small amounts of dairy products and she might be able to tolerate after age 2 or 3. since age 2.5 she has been fine with a little bit of yogurt and a little bit of cheese. the cows milk protein passes through the intenstines which is very pourous and causes an allergic reaction for a lot of children. the intenstines mature for some children when they are a few months old and for some children when they are several years old. preemies intestines take longer to mature. this is all due to the cows milk protein. by the way, later in life the cows milk enzyme is typically difficult for most humans to digest. this is a separate reaction to a separate component of the milk. it is normal to have this difficulty with lactose. Northern Europeans developed the ability to digest lactose, but this is actually something they biologically adapted to. this isn't the case for the rest of the worlds population. because northern european descendants are the dominant group in american culture, and the dairy industry has a big marketing campaign. the message has been that it is abnormal not to be able to digest lactose and products have even been developed to help people digest dairy, so people take medicine, so they can have dairy! anyway, my daughter drinks water. we all use some rice milk with cereal and in recipes calling for milk. i made the mistake of trying soy for awhile and she developed an allergy to that as well. soy is a high allergy food and it is high in estrogen. don't make my mistake by turning to soy to replace dairy. i regret doing that.
p.s. i did also use the happiest baby on the block techniques and they do help. but in my daughters situation, i think they just made her pain and discomfort more tolerable. but the best thing was when i was able to eliminate her pain and discomfort and then i didn't even need to use those techniques at all anymore.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:56 PM

Ds #1 was born at 34 weeks, had reflux and dairy sensitivity. He was extremely gassy, too and once I cut out dairy he did a lot better. At about 3 months adjusted I thought I'd give it a try and see if he was "over it" yet. Boy, did I regret that. I spend at least an hour doing baby bicycle with a screaming baby trying to work out all the gas. Ds #2 was born at almost 30 weeks, has reflux, although I knew the symptoms this time around and started treating right away with infant probiotics. He also seems to have dairy sensitivity as well as possibly nut (probably from the large quantities of peanut butter I'd consume with a spoon while pregnant) and various other sensitivities which I haven't quite pinned down (like broccoli?). I'm finding it much harder to cut out dairy this time around, maybe because I feed it to ds#1 and then eat a little myself. Anyway, ds#2 does much better without it. It stinks but I just keep telling myself it's the best way to avoid setting him up for food allergies down the road.

User Tag List