Update on Emma. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to give a quick update on Emma since I haven't in awhile. Emmahad a g-tube (feeding tube going directly to the stomach) placed a week and a half ago. It's infected now but we'll start treating it and hopefully nip it in the bud quickly. Sher had it placed since her weight flucatuated too much, she was waing up a million times a night and her reflux was REALLY bad. I'm happy to announce she wakes up only ONCE a night now!!! Yay. She has also been putting on about an ounce a day since the tube was placed. She was on overnight feeds for 12 hours up until now. No reflux with the feeding tube. She has bottles during the day, but still quite a bit of reflux with those. Today we went to her g.i. and she weighs a whopping 14 lbs, 5 oz. and she's 9 1/2 months (6 1/2 adjusted). Because she is refluxing with bottles and not with the feeding tube we're ditching the bottles altogether. She was have between 16-20 hours of continuous feeds via her pump a day. She will also take about 1/2oz. of baby food once or twice a day so she doesn't lose her oral abilities. Emma is a totally different girl now. Her constant crying is a thing of the past She has her cranky moments, but they're just that moments, not ALL day LONG. LOL. She LOOKS better and she's starting to babble instead of just coos like before. I have no doubt this is because she is properly nourished now and not so much reflux. Also, she's down to one med, once a day compared to 4 meds, which she had one about every 3 hours. All of this to say I'm SO proud of my baby girl and definitely feel like we made the right choice by going through with the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-28-2006, 05:07 PM

Yeah!!! So glad the tube is making a positive difference in her life, and yours! Nitara's tube had the same effect. I have never regretted that decision.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 10 Old 11-28-2006, 05:11 PM

Yay!! I'm glad things are going better now.
#4 of 10 Old 11-28-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I am so so so happy that we did it. It's the best thing we could have done for her. I saw that nitara is off tube feeds now..or trialing being off tube feeds. That's GREAT!!!!
#5 of 10 Old 11-28-2006, 06:19 PM

I am so happy things are going so well for you!

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#6 of 10 Old 11-29-2006, 12:16 AM

Good News! I don't visit this forum very often because I have a hard time dealing with the emotions it brings sometimes but I think of Emma often and was hoping the g-tube was working for her...

WooHoo!! Glad to hear your baby is thriving and growing and laughing and learning and living! I hope your lives continue to improve every single day! She is getting to be such a big girl
#7 of 10 Old 11-29-2006, 01:08 AM

That is all such great news! I'm glad sweet little Emma is doing so much better and I hope she kicks that infection quickly.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#8 of 10 Old 11-29-2006, 01:11 AM

oh I am so glad to hear she's doing well!!

: : :

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#9 of 10 Old 11-29-2006, 01:50 AM

#10 of 10 Old 11-29-2006, 03:23 PM

YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was almost afraid to check out your post sorry!

But she is almost the same weight as Maggie now!!! I am so glad things are working out better and you have your little baby girl back!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page