did your preemie cry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-24-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my babes dont cry. seriously. they make "fussy" noises when pooping but thats it. they are a month old.

they didnt cry in the nicu either.

is this a preemie thing? gestationally they are currently 34w5d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 01:23 AM

Sydney didn't really wake up and start crying until 36 weeks...

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:29 AM

Mine were also really quiet and only groany for a while. They will cry and you will wonder why you ever missed it

It's kind of like when my twins weren't talking at 2 (at ALL) and people said "soon you will want them to shut up" sure enough they are still very behind in talking, but sometimes I wish I would have a little quiet again!

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 12-24-2006, 01:29 AM

Yes, they did...not often while they were in their isolettes, more as they grew older...Dennis was a real howler by the time he came home (39 weeks); Conan was always quieter, and still is.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:32 AM

I just happen to see this in the New Posts button thing. I never had a preemie but my ds, who was born full term at 39 weeks, didn't cry either until prob about 2 mos old. Until then it was just whiney fussy noises but not outright crying.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 12-24-2006, 02:03 AM

Mine didn't cry much in the NICU - only if they got superduper hungry. I think they were like that for a while at home, but trust me, they cry now.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:06 AM

Not for a long time. In fact, he slept so much and cried so little that the doctor was convinced he had some neurological problems. He didn't ever cry a whole lot as a baby. But he's made up for it! He's 6.5 and is pretty sensitive and tears up over a lot of things.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:48 AM

She cried a little from time to time when she was very disturbed. When they arein the isolette it isn't easy to hear their tiny little cries.

I still grin a bit when I think about the time I took he for her 1st synagis shot at her pediatrician's office. She cried so loudly and vigorously! I was smiling from ear to ear to hear her little lungs working so well The nurse must have thought I was drugged
Old 12-24-2006, 04:22 AM

The first time I remember hearing my son cry he was around 6 weeks old (around 38 weeks gestation). His twin sister started crying much sooner. I know by 36 weeks she'd cry at least a couple hours each evening (she was still in the hospital).

My baby girl is 37w2d today and tonight was the first time I heard her really really cry. I got distracted in the basement and when I came back upstairs she was screaming. She's cried briefly before but it's usually just when she's really hungry or during a diaper change. She hates diaper changes for some reason.

I think most preemies don't cry much. I could always tell whenever a full term baby was brought into the NICU without seeing the baby. They were always so much noisier than the preemies.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
Old 12-24-2006, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
I just happen to see this in the New Posts button thing. I never had a preemie but my ds, who was born full term at 39 weeks, didn't cry either until prob about 2 mos old. Until then it was just whiney fussy noises but not outright crying.
same,no premmie of my own, ds was a groaner and whiner until about 1 1/2mths, then the crying really hit, he figured out his voice! and he was 41 weeks.

my preemie nephews (all three of them) they knew how to use their lungs strong and proud from the first day earthside. the youngest one (born at 26 weeks) who was born last year, he would scream murder the second the nurses would open his isolette, and if they tryed to change his diaper it was all over!!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:16 AM

Emma didn't start crying until she came home. Then it was non-stop for about...oh...7 months. (that's until now and she's 10 months) she is still a big crier. I've heard from other preemie parents their's cry alot too.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
I still grin a bit when I think about the time I took he for her 1st synagis shot at her pediatrician's office. She cried so loudly and vigorously! I was smiling from ear to ear to hear her little lungs working so well The nurse must have thought I was drugged
I can relate to this. My dd didn't cry almost at all in the NICU. She was in the room in Level II with all the "short termers" like the 48 hour holds and the like (don't even get me started.) Anyway, I think her lack of crying caused her to get less attention than she otherwise would have.

She didn't start crying fully until about 2 months, and I'll admit, it was nice to hear such a normal baby noise!
Old 12-24-2006, 07:25 AM

My first baby was a preemie, he didn't even open his eyes for a few weeks. Around 38 weeks he started to cry, then he was colicky for a looooong time, lol! Thankfully he is a happy and healthy 6 yo now!

Salihah סליחה صالحه Mama to four boys, another due Dec 4th.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:45 PM

My kids both made, for lack of a better term, goat noises. It really sounded like they were bleating! But both of them, closer to their due dates, woke up a little more and started to cry. My older dd cried much more than my younger one, but I just think it is because dd#2 has such a laid back personality.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:48 PM

Daegan started crying ~35 weeks...and it coincided with his bone infection...After that cleared, he didn't really have any reasons to cry....I was ridiculously attentive at first. Now he doesn't really cry that much unless he gets really upset....but at around 35 weeks was when we first heard the real cry. The nurses said he was a good baby...so I think some of the NICU babies would cry at earlier gestational ages.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:38 PM

I had a meower. He would cry, but it was more a meow.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid View Post
Great description! That's what mine sounded like when she was very tiny. She was also a big, big grunter But lots of preemies do that:
Old 12-24-2006, 04:19 PM

Adara was a "mewl"er for a long time. The sound I'm trying to describe is the sound a kitten makes, especially if you've ever seen one being born.

Up until about 3 months old (or a month adjusted). NOW....now I wish for the mewling for those few times she cries! These teeth are causing her a serious amt of misery poor dear.

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

Old 12-24-2006, 04:38 PM

Sam didn't start crying until right before she came home at 34wks gestation. Then she only cried during her heel sticks, or if she was naked for too long after her bath.

She doesn't cry much now, at 8 months. She'll fuss if she's really hungry or tired, and fuss a little if she's wet, but she really only cries if she's in pain, i.e. teething. Or if she gets scared. Sometimes if we walk through the room to quickly while she's super engrossed in something, she'll get startled and start crying. She's a very happy, fairly easy-going baby!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 12-27-2006, 04:44 AM

Mine did not cry, he howled.
The nurses asked which one of us had the temper he inherited. We are both the 'silent treatment' type so we took it as a good sign. After he was stable he didn't cry much until home with hernias. Then it was back to crying 5 hours a night, which I had forgotten until I asked my midwife/pediatrician who remembers better than I.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid View Post
I noticed that most of the babies inthe NICU sounded like kittens or puppies, very cute (trying to find something pleasant about the experience). Mine was a puppy. I can't really recall exactly how it sounded but I do remember that it sounded like a little puppy.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

this morning Jackson was startled and let out a little cry! it was so precious, but broke my heart. i picked him right up and he snuggled against my chest and was asleep in seconds. then when i put Evie in her carseat to go to the dr this morning she made a little cry too!!

So huh... 35 weeks, 2 days gestation and they both have cried a real live cry now!!

User Tag List