P17 shots - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-26-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some questions, and I am trying to do some more research on these shots before my OB appoinment on the 11th

I have had three preterm babies (32,35, 36iugr) my first was full term, last one was the 36 weeker.

this is my fifth baby, i'm 20 weeks.

It is suggested I take the p17 shots. Anyone have any info about taking them while nursing? I can't find any research on that?

I am worried if I go on them and then have side effects and need to stop, will that cause more problems? Do people really think these shots work for women who have unexplained preterm rupture of membranes?

I'm feeling very scared right now, its hard to explain (i didn't feel this way with the other pregnancies) I have worked the last three days and every time I have abdominal pain, I think omg maybe i'm having contractions, or I guess it could be indigestion. Its really stressing me out. I do go to the midwife tomorrow, and have an ultrasound scheduled for the 3rd (then the ob on the 11th) I was planning on stopping work at 25 weeks, but I have these strong feelings that I shouldn't go back at all. I had a horrible dream last night that my uterus was falling out and I was having contractions, and no one would help me call the dr I think the hormones are getting to me, or its my body telling me I should really consider these shots when it comes up at the ob office.

sorry for the ramble
Crystal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-26-2006, 04:59 PM

I wish I had more concrete info, like a study or something to point you to. I'll just tell you that my mother, a CNM, told me that she absolutely thought I should do these if I ever had another baby (after 2 PPROMs) and when my friend that had a 34 weeker recently had her second, my mom asked me to suggest it to her as well. They are supposed to really reduce the incidence of PPROM. I don't know the effect on nursing, but isn't it progesterone, a hormone you make anyway? I don't know, off to research...
#3 of 12 Old 12-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Here we go...
http://www.marchofdimes.com/files/MP...rone041904.pdf

Nothing about nursing though, I'll try Kellymom...
From Kellymom, progesterone is AAP approved, and in the L3 category for lactation risk. HTH
#4 of 12 Old 12-26-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
I don't know the effect on nursing, but isn't it progesterone, a hormone you make anyway? I don't know, off to research...
Yes during pregnancy progesterone is made in high quantities. And on another note, it is the mini pill (all progesterone) that is recomended for nursing moms as birth control.

Its not so much that i'm worried that the progesterone will damage my daughter through nursing, I guess I just want to see if the shots will dry up my milk supply? if that is likely to happen I think I want to be prepared for that
#5 of 12 Old 12-26-2006, 06:04 PM

I hadn't thought of that. I took both the mini pill and regualr pill after both my pregnancies and always had abundant milk supply, but I'm just one person. maybe a LLL leader would know?
#6 of 12 Old 12-26-2006, 07:46 PM

the progesterone *shouldn't* have any effect on your milk (no moreso than just being pregnanat will, anyway, LOL!)

FWIW, I did the shots this time, and my preterm issues started WAY later than with any of my previous pg's, and I got two weeks more baking time this last preg than I did the one before
#7 of 12 Old 12-26-2006, 09:59 PM

Hmmmm, my OB said she wouldn't recommend them for my next pregnancy b/c I had PPROM and no PTL. Said they were shown to decrease the instance of PTL but had no effect on PPROM. I need to research....

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#8 of 12 Old 12-26-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
FWIW, I did the shots this time, and my preterm issues started WAY later than with any of my previous pg's, and I got two weeks more baking time this last preg than I did the one before
Do you know what preterm issues are recommended for the shots? They were recommended to me by one Perinatologist with my last pregnancy but another Peri didn't think I needed them since my only preterm birth was for twins. I don't think they would have made a difference this time because I was bleeding so badly from the placenta. I would probably do them if we have another baby. My main issue seems to be cervical funneling (I had cervical shortening with my twins but not with my singleton that was preterm).

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#9 of 12 Old 12-27-2006, 10:00 AM

I've had more than one preemie and, with my last pg I did the shots. I think they really helped lessen the contractions but I still suffered PPROM at 27 weeks. I didn't have any side effects, but I think Hale says something about a decrease in milk production for the nursing mother.
#10 of 12 Old 12-27-2006, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post
Hmmmm, my OB said she wouldn't recommend them for my next pregnancy b/c I had PPROM and no PTL. Said they were shown to decrease the instance of PTL but had no effect on PPROM. I need to research....
see I have had pprom 3 times now, and they are really pushing for these shots. The thing is my babies have all be born at a later gestation, although still premature, and I keep worrying that maybe there is some unknown side effect (these haven't been used long) That would make the risk higher than the benefit to me (ie 35 vs 37 weeks) but I have this weird nagging feeling and very vivid dreams of this baby falling out and since my appointment with the OB is coming up I know she is going to recommend these and I"m leaning towards agreeing
#11 of 12 Old 12-27-2006, 02:27 PM

Well, I looked around on the internet (I googled PPROM and supplemental progesterone) and all the info I found seems to point to this being relatively new, and it looks like they are suggesting it for any woman with a history of PTL, including PPROM at this point. But an OB or peri might have access to medical journal and things with more up to date information. I think it is a good thing to discuss with your doc.

Oh yeah, Vera (boscopup) has good information on PPROM and I think she directed me to a website, as well as suggested I look into the shots if I were to try again.
#12 of 12 Old 12-27-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
Well, I looked around on the internet (I googled PPROM and supplemental progesterone) and all the info I found seems to point to this being relatively new, and it looks like they are suggesting it for any woman with a history of PTL, including PPROM at this point. But an OB or peri might have access to medical journal and things with more up to date information. I think it is a good thing to discuss with your doc.

Oh yeah, Vera (boscopup) has good information on PPROM and I think she directed me to a website, as well as suggested I look into the shots if I were to try again.
with my last pregnancy (baby #4) it was suggested I take progesterone pills, by the ob. I was concerned over ingesting hormones and not sure of the benefits to me or the baby.

He was unable to explain WHY this works, how it works (like what systems the hormone effects and why) so I don't think it has been studied very well yet. I haven't had any documented pre term contractions (I haven't felt any and they have never been seen on a monitor) and when I mentioned this, and said I believed this progesterone was maybe more effective for women with contractions, he said look this is something you buy into or you don't.

but these progesterone shots do seem to make a big difference especially effective in the under 32 week birth department.

and knitting in the shade, its funny you say how the shots bought you an extra two weeks, because that's what the ob said to me, that it would likely give me an extra two weeks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page