? about scars - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 01-14-2007, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i feel like a complete idiot for posting this :

does your child still have physical scars from their stay?

dd is 9 months now and the scar where her ostomy was is the same..its HUGE! like seriously, it hasn't changed at all since she was 3 months old..is this normal?

i've been putting vitamin c capsules(the oil) on her everyday, since she's been home..but the scar hasn't changed

do they ever go away?

eta: i'm not anxious for it to go away, i think its part of who dd is,i was just wondering if when the child does grow up, if its still there)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-14-2007, 12:31 PM

My dd (15mos now) has several scars, also. She has a rather large abdominal incission, a scar from her ostomy site, two small scars on each leg from broviac placements, & one on her neck and right chest from another broviac. I have found that the larger scars have gotten relatively smaller as she has grown. She got bigger but her scars stayed the same size. So what once was an incision that spanned her entire abdomen is now only 1/2 the size it used to be. I take pics every few months so I can "see" that they are getting relatively smaller as she grows. The small broviac scars seem to be fading or maybe I'm just so used to them that I don't really notice

Like you, I am not anxious for them to go away- they are a part of her and a reminder of her strength but I am concerned that when she is a teenager she may not feel the same way I do. Teens can be so self-concious
#3 of 13 Old 01-14-2007, 02:02 PM

Dakota also has scars. Her feet are horribly scarred, she has a PDA ligation scar, PICC line scar and once we have her trach and g-tube out we'll have scars there as well.

#4 of 13 Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM

DD has one small puncture scar from an IV.

I do know that mederma and the scar lightening oil from palmers helped my c/s scar.
#5 of 13 Old 01-14-2007, 04:30 PM

The scars from the picc lines and IV's seem to be growing with my child.
A twenty year old former premie showed me her scars (feet) they grew with her as well.
They told me at the NICU that they would stay small.
I think my family scars strongly.
#6 of 13 Old 01-14-2007, 05:26 PM

My son's scars on his head took about a year to fade to a pale skin color. On his head, at least, they're growing with him (widening with time, and covering more space). I think whether or not they grow with the child depends on where they are on the body.

We used Vitamin E oil on them, especially in the first several months once they had "healed"

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#7 of 13 Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 PM

nak

Sydney has a really bad scar on her leg from where the iv infiltrated. plus a few smaller ones.

like you i feel kinda like they are part of who she is

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#8 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 AM

Emma has TONS of small scars from all the poking and prodding from blood gases and everything else. they're all over her feet and her hands! They haven't changed since we left the hospital 8 months ago.
#9 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 01:40 AM

My guy has a couple little scars nobody can see but me and dh. Just part of who he is...like a birthmark.

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#10 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 AM

Maggie has all those needle prick scars all over her hands, feet etc too. She also has a tiny bald spot where she got her unicorn iv line in her head once after she kept pulling it off her hands and feet. She also has "preemie moles" Little redlike moles that seem to be disappearring but there is a big one over her forehead.

I have my stretchmarks and my section scar of course:

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#11 of 13 Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 PM

Spencer has a big scar across his tummy (they made the incision to perform a NEC surgery, turned out to be a hole in his tummy from the feeding tube), a drain tube scar (looks like an X) next to that and a scar from his central line on his chest. We've noticed a new one next to his central line scar but we don't know what it is from.

They haven't reduced with time at all and the drain tube and central line scars have actually moved into places where they are more obvious. I've never put anything on them.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#12 of 13 Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
She has a rather large abdominal incission,.......... I have found that the larger scars have gotten relatively smaller as she has grown. She got bigger but her scars stayed the same size. So what once was an incision that spanned her entire abdomen is now only 1/2 the size it used to be.
DS1 is 9 now and his abdominal scar is quite a bit smaller than when he was a baby. It's still very noticable (but, like pps have said, it's just part of him. I have a belly button, he has what looks like a big zipper )

It used to go from sternum to pubic bone and now it's more like diaphram to the top of his pants. All of his PIC line and IV scars have faded considerably, too. (although, he still has almost no visible veins, so I'm dreading the day he needs to get blood tests for anything )
#13 of 13 Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM

After three years, my dd still has scars from her first broviac, her pyloromyotomy, her Gtube, and one unidentified one on her leg. Everything else has pretty much gone away by now. She's picked up some new ones along the way and they don't seem to be disappearing as nicely as her baby ones did.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page